Format: DVD|Change

Just to let everyone know this is indeed the Director's Cut of Daredevil, and a nice release it is too.

Matt Murdoch is a morale driven lawyer in New York by day, but at night he transforms into a superhero, Daredevil, a man guided by sound alone, as he lost his sight during a toxic accident as a child. He's in love with Electra, but he has to make things right before he can make things work between them. With the difficult task of staying anonymous, he has to fight crime, and stay a sympathetic lawyer during the day.

This is a fantastic director's cut of Daredevil, totalling 2hrs and 13mins in total. Yes, there are unecessary scenes in my opinion that don't really add much to the story, but the remastering, the sound and the atmosphere really does make this film worthwhile. Knowing blind people in my everyday life I bet they'd love to be Daredevil, and I think a bit of us all whether we've got partial sight or not, we really wish we had his sound perception.

The Blu-Ray is fantastic, simply, and the picture is very good, with 30MB/s average. The 5.1 mix is actually terrifying at times because it's like it was happening in your living room. I also enjoyed the featurettes, and the commentaries with Mark Steven Johnson. There's also quite a lot of music video on this, 3 in total and a look at the music of Daredevil. Really this BD disk is packed to the very edge with goodies and I reckon you can easily spend 4 hours in total with the disk.

Impressive on all counts, shame we didn't get audio description, especially as it's about a blind superhero!
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2006
I was slightly sceptical that the new cut of "Daredevil" would actually be a big improvement on the theatrical version, but I was pleasantly surprised.

This is great stuff, and probably the best of the "Marvel Heroes" features, certainly the most adult.

Here is a sense of the real character, a sense of pain and loss and tragedy. There is unbelievable action, and brilliant acting. Ben Afleck is fine as the emotionally tortured Matt Murdoch, as is Jennifer Garner as Elektra. The characters of Bullsey and the Kingpin are well played, and are credible bad guys, while David Keith as Matt's father gives a brief but impressive performance as Battlin' Murdoch.

A new subplot has been added, and the emphasis taken away from the love story element, which provides more drama for the central theme of the troubled vigilante's crusade against crime as a lawyer by day and masked hero by moonlight.

All that said: why oh why wasn't this version released at the cinemas. It is bravura action film-making, but it also reveals the darker side of the character. Recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 March 2016
I was never particularly interested in Daredevil and having an un-explainable aversion to Ben Affleck gave it a wide birth the first time around. But I had two reasons to want to watch it now - one to get a taste of the origins/original before getting into the new series which seems to receive very good critical reviews, and two - to get a taste of Affleck in Lycra in a superhero setting before we see him in the highly anticipated Batman Vs. Superman this year.

Having read some reviews of the original film it seemed a good idea to go for this longer extended version which seemed to carry more praise. The listing here isn't clear that it is indeed the special directors cut with an extra 30 minutes of footage but the one we received most certainly is as we watched it earlier.

When it comes to this genre and type of film I can forgive many things and am always ready to just switch my brain off from any harsh criticism in favour of a nice bit of superhero escapism, so I came at this with an open mind and the reassurance that Affleck would most likely be covered up in Lycra for much of the film so perhaps he'd annoy me less than he has done in other roles.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find it was much more of an adult superhero movie than I had anticipated (not quite Deadpool level of adult, but a lot more grown up than your Xmens and Avengers etc) with a nice gritty backdrop and very dark in places with some really good action scenes - a completely different film to what I was expecting. Affleck plays the tortured character of Murdoch extremely well and does a great job of switching between his daytime avenging role of a lawyer and night-time avenging role of a superhero. Jennifer Garner is also pretty good as Elektra/his love interest and generally the acting and character development is really good with a nice amount of well executed action. Really nicely surprised all round with this film and now moving onto Elektra and I'm also a lot more optimistic about Affleck portraying Batman in the upcoming film - glad I made the effort!
on 16 March 2005
Didn't think this was coming to the UK so bought the US version of it and all I can say is why didn't this version of the film get released at the cinema?
I used to be a massive fan of the Daredevil comic book and the theatrical release of Daredevil left me crying. It was terrible. But this version is so so much better.
The story flows better, far more character development and inter-action between Matt and Foggy. There is also a good balance between the lawyer and the vigilante in this version as well.
All in all a huge improvement. The theatrical release I would give 2 out of 5, this is definitely a 5 out of 5. Throw that first version in the bin and buy this instead, you'll be happy you did!
on 14 September 2005
After being very disapointed with the original cut of Daredevil, i was a little sceptical about watching the directors cut. However this version of the film is a huge improvement. The action sequences are great and the film has a much darker feel to it. I highly recomend the directors cut and hope people are not to put off by the not so good original.
on 24 February 2004
and this one is one of my favourites; Superman is just too strong for his own good in my opinion, and Spider-Man was nowhere near dark enough. In fact, the only superhero movies that I like more than this are Batman and Batman Returns (the classic Tim Burton ones). This film is imperfect, that's for sure; certain characters (such as Elektra and Kingpin) are underused, I found the whole flashback thing rather annoying, and sometimes the soundtrack feels out of place. On the plus side, however, it stays close enough to the comics to satisfy nerds without getting bogged down in too much detail as to Deredevil's past, it is deliciously dark, has some great fight scenes (especially those involving Bullseye), features decent performances from Colin Farrell and Jennifer Garner, has Jennifer Garner (in vaious eye-popping outfits), and even throws the odd bit of humour into the proceedings. Not a classic but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless, with some good extras on the second disc.
on 25 August 2006
I am angry. Perhaps incensed is closer to it.

Five minutes ago the credits rolled on "Daredevil (Directors Cut)" and here I find myself feeling perhaps the most effected I have EVER been after watching a movie. Sad, but true.

I remember the joy I felt having watched "The Matrix", not having a clue what the movie was about and loving every second of it. I remember the sheer respect for Peter Jacksons vision at the end of each "Lord of the Rings" film. He had done what they said could not be done. Likewise, I remember the shock, the surprise at the end of every M. Night movie I have ever seen.......but anger??? Disappointment, but never anger. Until now.

I am a comic book fan. No secret. I clearly remember my anticipation with the theatrical release of "Daredevil", just as I clearly remember thinking as I left the cinema "That was entertaining...but it could have been a better movie".

Pure and simple, The Directors Cut is THAT movie.

The original film was clearly edited for the Spidey market. This made no sense considering the Daredevil comic was never meant to be a Spiderman comic. Why should the film be any different? Daredevil is to Spiderman what Tim Burton's vision of Batman was to the 60's ideal of the same icon. Dark, brooding, gothic. The additions found in the re-edit are nearly all in this vein, expanding and adding to the nuggets of (black) gold found in the original release.

Surprisingly, the addition of over 30 minutes of footage does not make the film seem any longer. The extra scenes add depth, character and a greater understanding to the feel of the film. Side line characters are given not only dimension, but an actual reason to exist within the story.

Additionally, the additions (ha!) break up parts of the original film that always felt rushed or too close together. A good example of this being the murder and burial of Elektra's father.

Oh, and the ending of the film now makes far more sense!

Interestingly there are also some subtractions. The removal of the cheesy love scene actually makes the relationship between Daredevil and Elektra far more believable and ten times more tragic in the end.

And so I return to my anger. Why was this version of the film not released in the cinema? It is a far superior movie in every way to the one most people know as "Daredevil" and it is a shame that a difficult time will be had in trying to get people who dismissed the original to watch the superior version of the film.

In conclusion, the question that fuels my anger.

How come "The Punisher", the poorest of Marvels recent adaptations (and movies full stop for that matter!), is receiving a sequal, whilst Daredevil must sit on a shelf, waiting for the memory of the theatrical version to diminish before there is any chance of a "Daredevil 2"?

(Please don't make reference to the "Elektra" outing. It doesn't count!)

They had it right first time round, they just failed to show people they did.

Truly, there is no justice in this world.
on 28 September 2003
After the start of the shift from comic book to big screen with the disastrous batman movies I am always very concerned when I hear that Hollywood has got it’s hands on another of my childhood favourites. However I will admit that things have been improving over the years, Wolverine in the X-Men series being a good example even if Cyclops is a bad one!
This has got to be the best adaptation yet. DareDevil is suitably dark and violent to be in keeping with the comics while not forgetting that it is, after all, fantasy and meant to be entertainment. Coupled to a most excellent soundtrack this is great stuff and those who loved DD in graphic form will not be disappointed.
Simply put, if you like this kind of stuff don’t bother renting it, you’ll only end up buying it anyway (like me) and you’ll save the 4 quid!
Oh yes, and then there is Jennifer Garner. ‘Nuff said.
on 23 July 2013
Okay the film itself is well worth your time and money especially for the Director's cut version, which is extra 30mins, by the way is included in this steelbook edition (guessing it would be same Blu-ray disc from normal edition) which hugely changes the outline of the film, with more character developed, more action scenes, more violence and it has different choices compared to the other version. So if your fan of Marvel films, I would strong recommend this edition for the film plus it comes in awesome steelbook.

Don't miss out on under-rated film.
on 10 November 2012
I cant believe the bad reviews on this film, I think its one of the best comic movies made as well as Captain America and Avengers Assemble. Iv watched over 100 movies this year 2012 and this is one iv seen for the first time and its in my top 5, better than Skyfall and MUCH better than The Dark Knight Rises! The good cast,story,direction, soundtrack and amazing action scenes make this one of my fave films!