Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2010
So yet another original bare bones blu ray release finally gets the decent treatment it so rightly deserves.
When Predator debuted on Blu-ray a couple of years back there were some mixed reviews. I actually rated it quite highly, although it could obviously have been better, (featuring a relatively low bit-rate MPEG-2 transfer), that it was certainly a marked improvement over the really shoddy looking DVD with it's noise and grain. The other gripe about the original release was of course, the fact that it completely lacked any extras. So now, Fox have recitifed the situation (or if you're feeling more cynical - decided to nick some more cash out the fans back pockets) by releasing an inevitabvle remastered special edition to blu ray.

And here it is, newly encoded, dual layer 50GB disc crammed with all the extras from the DVD including McTiernan's commentary and the 'If it bleeds we can kill it' making of documentary.

So how does it fare? Well, in fairness I think the remastered picture in this edition could well incite the same amount of criticism as the old one, but for the opposite reason. Personally I think it's great, bright, clear, immensely vived and colourful and whereas the previous edition only really looked "Hi-Def" in a number of places, this looks pretty immaculate throughout. Black levels are also greatly improved. However, all of this comes at a price, which some fans may not like, because seemingly to combat the gripes about grain and noise this remaster is pretty heavy on the digital noise reduction. So if you liked the rougher, grittier texture of the original print, you're probably going to be disappointed. Faces look particularly "smoothed over" and a little waxy in certain shots, but I should add that this is NOT the case all the time. In fact facial close ups for example look great, and incredibly detailed, (you can even see the texture of the camouflaged face paint) the jungle looks beautfully sharp and thoroughly alive and generally the print does a good job of masking the dirtier looking scenes. I felt that for the most part the picture looked much more naturally "hi-def" than obviously "tinkered with", but I must confess there were a few bits where I really felt they'd overdone it on the enhancements somewhat, and that's the only reason why i've dropped a star. At the end of the day tho, I think a blu ray where everything mostly looks like a DVD, is far worse than a blu ray where everything mostly looks hi definition. But this I'm sure will be up to what you prefer.

Not sure if the sound has been changed since the last release, but it is still a totally engaing and absorbing 5.1 DTS HD Master audio track. This was my favourite thing about the original release, and it is totally replicated in the ultimate hunter edition. It's a brilliantly balanced track, giving great clarity and detail in the quieter scenes, exploding into hefty machine gun fire and explosions later on that pound your speakers without ever sounding too overbearing.

So all in all, whether this release is for you will come down to the remastered picture quality. If you dont mind the film looking polished, vibrant and, in certain places noticeably artifically polished, you will love it; if you'd rather watch the film closer to it's original intended look, I would hang on to (or indeed go out and buy) the original release.
88 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2013
James Cameron's "Titanic 3D" conversion shows that when done properly, films that were not originally shot in 3D, can look fantastic. Unfortunately, "Predator 3D" isn't one of them.
I've always liked this film and was really looking forward to seeing it again when I heard that it was being given the 3D treatment. The jungle environment in particular had me eagerly awaiting it's release.
Now I've seen it, it's fair to say that I am extremely disappointed with the results. At times, the jungle does seem to have some nice depth to it, but there are portions of the film that seem to have had no conversion whatsoever. At times watching it, I thought there was a problem with my glasses and had to take them off to check what I was seeing.
The day before watching "Predator 3D" I had watched the "Jurassic Park 3D" blu-ray and like Predator, large portions of the film are set in the jungle, but, unlike Predator, the 3D was consistent and it was an immersive experience.
Predator 3D is a lazy conversion and you can't help thinking that it's release was a half hearted effort, of minimal cost by Fox to rake in money from a film they know would be extremely popular with 3D enthusiasts.
I've now got approximately 150 3D titles and Predator 3D has to be the poorest in my collection.
Picture and sound quality are okay, but again, nothing special.
44 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2004
Just a quick note to warn purchasers of this new 2-disc set that due to a foul-up by Fox it seems that many copies contain the wrong Disc One. I don't know how widespread this problem is, but in my local shop every single copy was incorrect - and, yeah, I made 'em check! :)
Due to a pressing or packaging error Disc One was the old single-disc edition of Predator - i.e. no DTS, no audio commentary, and a heavily-censored version of the film! Disc Two was correct.
Disc One SHOULD have a large picture of Arnie's face and say "Disc One" on it - the incorrect disc has a fuzzy picture of Arnie with a gun and DOES NOT say Disc One.
Seeing as the previous UK DVD release of Predator was a foul-up on Fox's part in the first place - apparently they mistakenly used a heavily-censored master intended for the German market - you would have thought they'd have taken a little more care this time around...
It's a good film, as I'm sure you already know, and it's good to see that it's finally been given a decent release in the UK - providing you've got the right disc in the pack!
44 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2010
I'm both amazed and appalled at what 20th Century Fox has done with this blu ray, providing one of the most schizophrenic video transfers I've ever seen, which despite its faults still impresses me.

Because eighty percent of the time, it's beautiful.

They must have used a different source print than they had previously. Many scenes that were dull and dark before now show wonderfully vivid colours and much greater contrast. Also, it seems Fox has done a heavy amount of grain reduction, which I know will be an instant deal breaker for some cinephiles, but I do think that Predator benefitted from the treatment. I was astounded at the clarity some scenes have, every piece of foliage is razor sharp, and the Predator himself is so detailed in closeup it's scary. And it doesn't stop there.. From being able to see each bead of sweat on Carl Weathers' face, to the intricate patterns of the lightning effects as Predator decloaks, the new video transfer often presents scenes that look light years ahead of older versions of the film.

But then there's the other twenty percent...

The infamous scene at the start, when Dillon and Dutch lock arms, is one of the most egregious examples of video tampering. Carl Weathers' moustache looks like it's a blurry smudge on his face in this scene, whilst R.G. Armstrong now appears to be made of rubber. Arnold's closeups here are just plain ugly. Certainly not a great start to the movie, and it sets a trend of blurred shots and smudged faces that continues off and on through the film. A scene will be playing out, looking detailed and film-like, then suddenly it cuts to a closeup and we're examining a wax figure from Madame Tussauds acting in a Predator movie. Luckily this doesn't happen too often.

Whilst the Ultimate Hunter Edition is very obviously a cash-in on the new Predators movie coming out, it's honestly a better deal than the last Predator release Predator [Blu-ray] [1987]. Unlike the last bare bones version, this new edition includes every extra from the 2 disc DVD, even the still entertaining text commentary and easter eggs, as well as a brief but nice retrospective with producer John Davis and a quick look at the upcoming sequel.

If you already bought the last blu ray edition, or are unsure as to which looks better, I recommend renting them to judge the quality for yourself. There are a few moments that could have looked A LOT better here, but the film on the whole makes up for it by being much more vibrant and bold than before, and having stunning picture clarity when it counts. Not to mention the always epic DTS HD sound. Overall, I'd say this is definitely the version to pick up if you somehow don't already own this seminal action movie.
77 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2016
This is a review of the 2 disc special edition dvd that as I write this review is available for £01 which is a steal. Firstly the movie its self, This is one hell of a movie we have now come to know what the Predator looks like thanks to the sequel & the dreadful AVP films. but back when this film first came out almost like Jaws you didn't see the monster straight away & we slowly see it in little bits & even see what it's seeing though its p.o.v. We see a lizzard like arm, we see it cloaked with like James Bonds Die Another Day car (but much much better) a invisiblility or mirrored suit, We see that it bleeds lumnious green/Yellow blood And we know from Dutch's (Schwarzengger) famous line "if it bleeds we can kill it". Even once we are teased with the odd view without the cloaking on we haven't seen it fully. Then one by one it picks off Schwartzengger's men in more & more fantasticly grusome ways. Until Dutch & the Predator are the last ones left. then it takes off it's mask & Oh my are we in for a treat. This slow build to show us the
creature bit by bit means that when we do finaly see it in all it's glory it an amazing moment. The whole film is briliantly made a thrill ride with a FANTASTIC music score from Alan Silvestri pumping in the background, again with elements of Jaws to it. I really can't praise this movie enough. Then there's the SE 2disc set if all you are interested in is the movie & extras don't float your boat, then you ain't gonna care unlike me that this specific dvd is packed with amazing extras including foot footage of the original badly designed creature that would have made this film terrible. Load of other documentaries & directors commentry from Jihn Mctiernan & like I said at the moment all this for £01. Its unbelievable value it cost me £20 odd when I bought it when it first came out & the cinema is way more. Buy it order some Pizza & drinks plonk it on & thats one great very cheap evening of entertainment!!
on 17 September 2010
I refused to buy the new "The Ultimate Grain free and detail free edtion", so i bought this first edition on BD that i think looked much better and had plenty of details and more of the natural grain that it is supposed to have. If you really like this film and bought the "Ultimate edition" on BD or only one of the dvd releases, i strongly recommend you to buy this first BD edition.

I have seen many people saying this first BD edition is too grainy. I don`t agree. I have seen more grainy films than this before. I don`t think this film have any excessive grain. I have read that from people that saw in the cinema in 87, said it had grain. So, naturally this BD has it. It`s supposed to have it. If you think this BD edition have too much grain, you shouldn`t see the BD of City of the living dead.

It is even more grainier than this film.
Don`t believe the others that sayed it`s too grainy, i don`t think it`s so bad they wanted it to be. I think they exaggerated it.
Some scenes have more grain than others, but i think the picture quality was pretty good. The picture and sound quality surely was a lot better than the last time i saw on tv several years ago just in SD.

I think the audio quality was impressive. The only thing stopping me from giving the audio 5, full score is that several times i hear hissing when they speak and the dialog at times sounds tinny. There was great deep bass, especially when the minigun was used and + explosions. I was happy with it. Good enough for me.

Film: 4.5/5
Picture Quality: 4/5
Audio Quality: 4/5
Overall: 4/5
on 10 December 2013
The direction, the music, even the character names- Predator is simply magnificent. It slow builds suspended all the time in tension, and then it explodes and doesn't let up.

Schwarzenegger's acting is great and he is helped along by the likes of Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura, Bill Duke and Sonny Landham- who all do a superb job in creating atmosphere. Indeed Ventura and Duke have starred as Arnie's enemies in The Running Man and Commando respectively.

The late great Kevin Peter Hall dons the mask and makeup for one of the most iconic alien creatures of all time. It's a huge movie, blood and guts, action. But it has been scripted well, and directed with authority by John McTiernan. Predator's numerous quotes are stil heard today, and indeed it may well be the most quotable film in action movies ever. We've all heard the story of Arnie and Stallone's fierce competition in the 80s. But on arrival of this monster, Stallone's jaw must have dropped a few miles.

An essential movie to own, indeed regarding it's sci fi action genre- this is definetly a masterpiece.
Everyone knows Predator the film deserves 5 stars, so let's not talk about the film but the Blu Ray disc.

The transfer is excellent but what realy blew mw away was the sound. The jungle came alive on my surround sound and the musical score seemed to swirl around the room, and the enhanced picture and sound made watching the film again an incredibly involving experience. The extras were'nt amazing though, with 2 film commentaries, the usual trailer, a few deleted scenes - but only one of these was of note - a making off, photo gallery, Predator profile, short bit on how the Predator camp effect was achieved (and in one of these, for a split second you see another design for the Predator - I pressume the original) and a couple of short cast interviews, one of which has potentially ruined the film for me. It talks about how the whole cast got the 'trots' while filming in Mexico, and so after each take they were running to the toilets to release the 'fizzy gravy'... I'm not sure I'll ever be able to watch this film again without the image of Arnold and his crew on the bog with the world falling out of their ars*s.

Overall - a great Blu Ray transfer, but for an ultimate edition it felt like the disc was a little light on extras and such. Normally, I'm not into extras, but Predator is one film I'd have liked to see some for - especially on the SFX and Predator's make up. So because of that 4 stars instead of 5.
on 9 April 2016
This is a review for the Blu-ray 3D version of the film.

Well, in 3D the effects look amazing! It's one of the best 3D conversions I've seen. It truly offers a sense of real immersion into what is being watched.

You can opt to watch it in standard 2D if you wish. As such, it's then exactly like the previous release of the Blu-ray. Great picture and sound quality. Plenty of bonus features.

This film, for those who don't know, involves an elite military unit entering a jungle environment to find and free a captured politician ... only they get far more than they bargained for! A being from outer-space is on the hunt for the finest warriors humankind can muster. This alien - i.e. the Predator - picks off the men one by one, until only the best - Schwarzenegger - remains. Then it's a brawl to the finish ...

This is a fantastic sci-fi movie, full of action. It's Schwarzenegger at his best (just before he became 'world famous'). Many critics dismissed it at the time of its release, as they failed to recognise the quality of this film. Subsequently, it has been viewed in a more positive light. I for one have enjoyed it since the late 1980's.

There have been sequels ... but nothing that quite matched the original. A new sequel is presently in production, and Schwarzenegger is returning!
on 23 August 2005
Predator struck box office gold in 1988 , it was certainly Arnies greatest film of the 80's and i am very glad to see that a newly restored , two disk edition has been released !
This film has everything , all out action , a slight sense of horror , gore , black humour and of course , ARNIE .
Dutch (Arnie) and his military 'crew'enter the jungle to hunt a savage Guerilla tribe inhabiting the forest . When arriving , they find a whole band of Guerillas brutually beaten , hanging and their skins totally ripped off their body .
Dutch and his crew , after finding a young village girl , are now at the mercy of the greatest killing machine ever , The Predator . As the crew members fall one by one , Dutch must face the Predator in an epic hunter vs prey battle .....
With a brilliant unravelling storyline , edge of your seat action , great special effects , corny but catchy and hilarious punchlines ( i aint got time to bleed , stick around etc.)and its chlostrophobic enviroment , Predator is sure to impress .
I reccommend this film to any fan of action / thriller fans or anyone who just wants to watch a great , classic 80's action film .
The extras on this DVD are great too and the audio and visual quality couldn't be better !