Format: DVD|Change

on 6 November 2003
Like other reviewers, I am a *huge* fan of Chris Cunninghams work. I was initially introduced to it through hearing Aphex Twin's audio assault, "Come To Daddy" after hearing it on the film 8mm. I immediately purchased the tune, and at the same time saw the video perched behind the counter in my record shop.
After this I searched the web, scouring what information I could, but thanks to this amazing DVD you won't have to spend the hours I put in - just sit back, relax, and ensure you're sitting in front of a large screen with loud speakers.
My personal favourites have to be mentioned, simply for the power they include. Squarepushers "Come On My Selector" is pick of the bunch for me - not just because I love this type of music, but because of the obvious effort thrown into editing the fight scenes with each part of the chopped up breakbeat driving the scene, Cunningham including lengthy introductions or extra scenes into the track without throwing it off-centre. In particular, notice the japanese cast speaking english (watch their mouths), dubbed over in Japanese, with english subtitles - sheer genius.
Aphex Twins, "Come To Daddy" comes in second with its heavyweight assault on both ears and eyes. Like many, I find this video scary and hilarious at the same time, in particular for little notes like "This is Techno" scrawled behind two aphex-children fighting - not least of all the creepy screaming demon that ejects itself from the cursed television.
Not only do you get music videos, but a range of associated material. Most people will have seen the Nissan "Engine" advert, or the Playstations "Mental Wealth" promo, both these and more also the work of Cunningham. Personally, I look forward to seeing "Flex", which I missed at the time.
In short, this looks to be a superb portfolio of work, and something you'll come to time and time again, both for yourself and to show any friends that come to visit. Fantastic.
on 2 February 2004
The Work of Director . . . trilogy is a cracking idea, and each DVD is pretty well realised. While the Gondry and Jonze collections are, as to be expected, 100% entertaining, there's a cartoonish element to their work which, while making the music vids instantly accessible, they don't come near the impact Chris Cunningham's work creates.
Like virtually everybody else, Windowlicker and Come to Daddy provided my intro to Cunningham's work. A pretty terrifying intro initially, these are still videos that you can't get out of your head.
With all his well documented technical know how (peaking with All is Full of Love to date), Cunningham's videos have a stark feel to them which completely distinguishes them from other music video directors. It's a mark of his range that you could even view the 'Leftfield' video as being a little 'safe'. In case you haven't seen it, it involves a zombie running around NY, while bits of him break off.
The only downside is that the accompanying booklet, while great, points out several pieces of work by Cunningham that aren't on the DVD, although there are stills in the booklet. What's going on there?
Small quibble aside, a must have DVD for anyone with a passing interest in music videos. Apparently Cunningham has just got lottery backing to film a full length picture, so hopefully this will mark a renaissance in his work, as far as output is concerned.
on 12 June 2004
Video directors are a dime a dozen, and only few are able to distinguish themselves with any trace of personality. But Chris Cunningham is among the most talented and the most distinguished. His images are harsh, disturbing, yet elegant, and they wonderfully compliment the music these videos promote. This DVD is a collection of not only his videos, but it also has a collection of short films, commercials, and other clips. The picture quality is amazingly sharp, and the music is presented in a booming 2-channel stereo soundtrack. The highlights? Apex Twin's spooky "Come to Daddy" (banned on MTV) and the hilarious "Windowlicker" show Cunningham at the top of his game (the bleeped version of the latter video is also on this DVD, but make no mistake: my favorite is the original, cuss words and all). Drum-and-bass kings Squarepusher's "Come on My Selector" is an interesting clip set inside a Japanese psychiatric ward, and Leftfield's "Afrika Shok," which features a man who slowly dismembers himself, is quite bothersome yet well made. But one of my very favorite clips is the promo for the PlayStation video game "Mental Wealth." In this weird commercial, Cunningham features a Scottish girl whose face is eerily distorted to resemble a cross between Bjork and a space alien. It's bizarre and brilliant at the same time. Another standout is the clip "Flex" which is simply wonderful. Many complain that this isn't the full version, but I didn't care. All said, this is a hugely entertaining DVD collection for those who aren't fainthearted and have a taste for the alternative. You'll be shocked, amazed, and even disturbed, but one thing is for sure: you won't be bored.
on 18 February 2004
This is a fantastic collection of work by one of the most exciting artists of our time. His vision and style are really unique, and each of the projects on this dvd are a credit to his name. The promos are simply breathtaking. His dark style not only suits each song, but also manages to improve it tenfold. He makes it a pleasure to watch Madonna for crying out loud! Not many people can do that...
The other material is also good. The commercials are superb , but the interview stuff is a little flat. Channel 4's 'mirrorball' series a few years ago did a better job in my opinion.
The complementary 50 page book is also worthy of noting. The illustrations are beautiful, if not a little disturbing towards the end...!
The only complaint i have is that there's not enough on there. But that's just me being greedy.
on 2 August 2005
I've talked to friends who have berated music videos as being a distraction from the essence of music-making, ie the sound. Anyone with this opinion need only watch the work of Chris Cunningham to see the justification for video.
Whatever the sound, this DVD is a fascinating example of how images can enhance sound, and give a multi-dimensional meaning to the art of music.
Regardless of your taste in music, you can't fail to be moved by this work.
Essential viewing for any student of multi-media.
Enhance your life, watch this DVD!
on 11 November 2012
I brought this DVD for a couple of reasons: 1, because I loved the videos made by Chris Cunningham which I had seen previously and was keen to see more of his work. 2, I am a 3rd year university student currently working on a project about music video, so the booklet containing short interviews about the videos was very useful also!

The only thing I was disappointed about was that some pieces of work weren't on the DVD, like his music video for the Horrors. Also, I wouldn't pay full price for this DVD it's way too expensive. But the second hand copy I received played perfectly, only the booklet was falling apart a bit, but I can live with that!

Overall, very pleased with the DVD and its helped me with my project at uni.
I'd recommend it to any Chris Cunningham fans, or people that want to see more of his work.
on 20 March 2004
This DVD is certainly worth having for the music videos alone, however it misses out so much, particulary with the non-music video related content.
Why only an excert of the Flex video? Why bother with the adverts Chris has worked on, when they are the short versions? And why tease viewers with frames of what we're missing splashed about in the menu graphics? The booklet has a similar problem also, which is a shame as it gives the overall product an incompleate feel and detracts from what is a good collection. Not only are you missing out, but you're made to know it.
Ignoring the missing content however, you have a good collection of Chris Cunningham's work. Certainly worth it if you're after some brilliant visuals. For those not familliar with music videos like 'Come to Daddy', 'Windowlicker' and 'All is Full of Love', you're in for a eye opening experience.
on 6 November 2003
on 31 December 2003
As soon as I saw that 'All Is Full Of Love' could be got on dvd I knew I had to get this disc. It really is worth buying just for that one video.. plus there is a short 'making of' to go with it, which is very interesting. Unfortunately there is little else here that can match it. The Autechre video is awesome, and can be seen as a forerunner to the Bjork one with its slow moving robitic images with a retro sci-fi feel.
Fortunately, in the cases where the videos don't live up to expectations the quality of the music remains high.
The film for 'Windowlicker' to me is particulary dull.
It seems a shame that Cunninghams other videos are not included, only given a few still shots in the booklet. This would've evened out the quality/quantity ratio, plus given us a couple more great tunes from the likes of the Auteurs and Geneva. Perhaps these other artists were not considered fashionable enough? the extras included are all good, the excerpt from 'Flex' is particulary fantastic and i'd love to have seen the whole film. I don't quite understand the point of having a 'bleeped' version of 'Windowlicker' though..
Overall then, some great songs and some great films, but I can't help feeling it could've been better. A slight disapointment, but one thing redeems it.. a trailer for 'Rubber Johnny' looks very very interesting, even though i'm not quite sure what it is..
on 8 December 2008
This man is a visionary.... a truly amazing mind.... In the same series, check out Michel Gondry, Mark Romanek, Stephane Sedanoui... In-fact the whole series is amazing