5.0 out of 5 stars Jus' plain class!, 12 Dec 2003
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
When I heard about this series I was INSTANTLY excited. Finally, the chance to get my hands on some Chris Cunningham on DVD. So that was promptly ordered on Amazon. Hoping to also have the Spike Jonze one delivered to me as a choice Chrimbo present. And then there is this one, at first I thought 'I've not heard of Michel Gondry' and it was promptly shoved to the back of the priority purchases list. HOWEVER, on wandering about town one day I noticed that this DVD has the fantastic White Stripes Fell In Love With A Girl 'lego' video on the front of it. Something I found jaw dropping. Needless to say about an hour later this had found its way into my home.
This series appears to have been created by Jonze, Cunningham and Gondry themselves so they can have an outlet 'to date' of their various works. Its much more than just a collection of music videos too. Michel's DVD spans the late 80's right up to now. You can watch his videos in artist order, chronological order or a nice randomized shuffle order ... a nice touch. The artist are all of high calibre, Bjork, White Stripes, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Rolling Stones and Kylie (who even waives her fee for her track & video Come Into My World to donate to the NSPCC, another reason to buy!). The videos themselves are pure art, the lego animation of White Stripes is as I said, jaw dropping. Michel knows how to tell a story with his videos, how to have a visual representation of the music for us to see on screen. Probably why our wonderful songstress Bjork has chosen him so many times to provide the visual side to songs like Joga, Bachelorette, Hyperballad and so on. What he does is literally unexplainable and something you have to see in action. Wonderous photography skills and innovative ideas that you'd never be able to see from anyone else.
Theres also more than just the music, several short films, TV adverts and animations from Gondry, including one with Jim Carey of all people, and my personal favourite is Drumb & Drumber, a very clever short made up from video clips of Gondry drumming in various locations ... always raises a smile! You also get a 75 minute 'behind the scenes' documentary and a 52 page booklet with artwork, text and interviews with Gondry. A FULL and varied package. Check this series out, they are just the best thing to happen to music video ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars The work of Director Michel Gondry, 21 Jan 2004
P. James (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This is my most recent purchase in "The Work of Director" collection. I'd only really heard of Michel Gondry because of some of the Bjork videos and the Chemical Brother's Star Guitar. I bought this DVD more on the strength of the two DVD's in this series.
Having just spent the last couple of hours watching this one, it is in my opinion the best one so far. From the clever way it's packaged, to the amazing videos and the fascinating story behind Gondry, this DVD will appeal on so many levels.
It's worth the price alone for the ingenuity of Cibo Matto's Sugar Water video! This is a definite must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 26 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Just watched this today and all I can say is that it's probably the most exciting dvd I've ever seen. This man has a fantastic knack of simply matching images to music. No other director exhibits such a real feel for the music - every video here totally matches the artist and the song. So many clever touches - you really have to watch some of these videos several times to 'get' all the ideas he puts into his work. In short, there is no other video director who is quite so innovative, creative, artistic and just plain damn brilliant as Michel Gondry. Buy! With 4 hours plus of footage you really can't go wrong with this. I'm thinking of buying a copy for all my friends as early Christmas presents!

4.0 out of 5 stars dreamy, spooky, funny, 11 May 2006
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Gondry has this wizardly combination of cool ideas and a real feeling for the music he's illuminating. Highlights for me are Beck's Deadweight - which is full of haunting and humerous images of dislocation - and Chemical Bros' Star Guitar - which perfectly maps the tune onto a hypnotic view of industrial suburbs from the window of a train.

When I play it on my PC, the DVD freezes after I select an option from the menu where he's playing drums (though you can get round this) - hence four stars instead of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank the lord this has been released, 21 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Michel Gondry is widely acclaimed as one of the best - if not THE best - music promo directors ever.
One of his stand-out videos is "Star Guitar" for the Chemical Brothers, where the viewer is placed looking out of a train window and the landscape outside passes in time with the music. So, a tree represents a bass drum, or a bridge denotes a cymbal in the song. It's very clever, and almost hypnotic.
Another brilliant example, and perhaps one of his more famous ones, is his video for The White Stripes' "Fell In Love With A Girl" (on the DVD cover). It features Meg and Jack White, as animations using just Lego bricks. Again, totally absorbing.
Others who've requested the Gondry treatment for their music include Lenny Kravitz, Massive Attack and Daft Punk. All are excellent.
I admit I'm not totally down with his other work, like his ads for the likes of Nike and Smirnoff and short films, but just for his seminal music videos, this DVD is pretty much essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
i am happy with the item that i asked for...i got it in very good condition and in the time space that it was allocated for...overall i am satisfied

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Really pleased with this DVD, a great little documentary of Gondry's life and inspirations with really witty anecdotes of his life.
Loved the music videos collection aswell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 16 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I was lent the Chris Cunningham DVD recently, but haven't got round to watching it yet, as I find his work quite disturbing and creepy - but I then discovered that there was a series (i.e. 3!) of these DVDs, and that Michel Gondry was one of the directors, so I immediately ordered a copy, and watched all the way through as soon as I could. There's a great collection of work here - everything is so varied in style and sometimes totally mind-bending in its complexity (but also beautiful in its simplicity - if that makes sense?!). There are lots of music videos, adverts (brilliant Smirnoff one from years ago, that I hadn't even known was Michel Gondry's work), other bits and pieces, and some interviews with Gondry, his family, friends and artists with whom he's collaborated. I thought the part of the interview on side A was more interesting than the part on side B, but the DVD is totally worth buying to be able to watch over and over again. I'll probably order the Spike Jonze one soon, and hope to psych myself up to watching the Chris Cunningham one too! Highly recommended, great fun, inspiring - it's a shame I didn't know about it sooner!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Spirit, 17 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I bought this as a gift for a loved one who is a big fan of Michel Gondry, her favourite director, we've watched his movies together, so I was eager to see all of the Music Videos lined up. She loved it, it's a great gift for a Gondry fan, because his work inspires a cult following. Not only that, but these are some of the most entertaining and wholly original, dream-like music videos you're ever going to see, along with a selection of fantastic short movies, hilarious and thought provoking in some abstract ways.

It's all covered by a funny and entertaining interactive behind the scenes interview/story (it's never easy to categorize things this man does!) all about him. I didn't know much, but I was really entertained and I highly recommend the DVD for any great lover of Cinematography first and foremost, and music lovers second. It's not just a collection of videos you can find else-where, it's a really unique and lovely addition to your media library.

4 Stars! (Which is good from me!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 3 Mar 2009
Chris Morse "faraway_pictures" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
How this guy has so many genuinley interesting ideas for videos is incredible. he's a real artist. The disc is double sided so when you think you've finally seen all his videos just turn it over and there's another load!

The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003]