Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 January 2006
If you're sat there wondering 'shall I...shan't I', then please take my word for it and buy this CD. You will not be disappointed - simple as that.
This CD contains so much that will enchant even the most casual Christy Moore fan. Songs such as "Joxer Goes to Stuttgart", "Delirium Tremens" and "Casey" will have you smiling, if not laughing out loud; whilst others, such as "Black Is The Colour" and "Ride On" are sung with a touching sincerity that defies belief. "Fairytale Of New York" is different from the Pogues version, but no less magical. Not a duff track on here, and the between-song banter is delightful too. Amazing that one bloke and a guitar can create such alchemy.
All in all, the best live album I've ever heard.
on 2 November 2000
"Live At The Point" is probably the best live recording you`ll ever hear and captures Christy in full flight. I`ve been lucky enough to see Christy before his "retirement" and this c.d. perfectly captures the full range of emotions Christy can take you through when he`s on fire.You`ll laugh;cry and be moved to an an out of body place !! Not one track is weak but,for me,the standouts are "Natives";"Nancy Spain";"Fairytale of New York" and of course "Joxxer" which takes me back to that magical day my newly born daughter and I watched "Ray Houghton bust the net" !!!!!!!! Ride On forever Christy,the Mooneys love you !
on 28 October 2003
I had been looking for this CD for a couple of years now, ever since a friend of mine played Christy’s version of ‘Fairytale of New York’ in the pub one night. The danger with CD’s you’ve been building yourself up over finally listening to, is that they often disappoint.
This doesn’t.
Recorded live at The Point in Dublin, this CD brings over the magic of watching Christy play live, covering both the quite intimate moments (and he really can make it seem intimate, even to a room of thousands) and the more raucous sing alongs, with a fair smattering of his stories in between. Covering both his own songs, as well as a few traditional songs and covers, this CD is a joy to listen to, and in fact I prefer the live versions of some of the songs to the slightly over-produced versions available on the studio albums.
If there’s a slight niggle, it’s that you don’t hear anything of the two other people he mentions in the first song (maybe they were his support act I don’t know, but it’s clear the CD doesn’t cover the whole gig). That besides, this is a wonderful CD, which should be a must-have for all Christy fans.
on 1 February 2000
Every once in a while, an album comes along which captures the hearts and imaginations of an entire nation with its musical genius. This is one of those. I'd wager that every household in Ireland has a copy and ask any true Irish man, woman or even child and they'd know the words of not just every song but of all Christys subtle jokes and jibes on this album. It strikes a chord with everyone and goes through every possible emotion. Buy it.
on 9 October 2003
This album by Christy is just the best ever.....an absolute must for any Christy fan. I was lucky enough to see Christy live in Manchester on the tour for this album, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
on 2 November 1999
I went on a business trip to Dublin a wee while ago and, as I usually do when I visit a country for the first time, picked up a random selection of CDs of local/national songwriters at the airport. This CD was one of them.
'Natives' is a perfect snapshot of life as we (unfortunately) know it today : it starts as "with all our languages, we can't communicate..". How true.
There is humour, dark humour, Irish humour and a lot of home truths to boot.
You will laugh (Delirium Tremens), cry (Ride on), won't know whether to laugh or cry (Joxer goes to Stuttgart).
Well worth the punds.
on 3 November 2006
What a treat this CD is - despite not including many of his best songs, it is worth the money alone to listen to the rousing rendition of the all-time classic 'Joxer Goes to Stuttgart'. Just like the occassion it was written about, the song will be played over and over again...
on 3 June 2006
I have several and this one is my favourite (though they are all very good). Even if you don't like live recordings, this one may change your mind. You can sense the magical connection between Christy, the musicians and the crowd on the night this was recorded. Just hearing it puts you in a good mood. I would have loved to have been there ... and the Joxer song ... hearing the crowd go wild at the line 'Till Ray Houghton got the ball and stuck it in the net!' still brings tears to this Irishwoman's eyes ... :)
on 2 March 2014
A friend made a folk music compliation tape alternating from Irish to Reggae - I know odd but it worked. There was one track from the Irish selection sung by this rounded baritone with a whisky grating edge to it but no name to identify it. The song was atmospheric, heart felt and ragged. Later a radio 4 programme discussed the work of this very important and distinctive irish singer, Christy Moore - I made a mental note to write it down. Of course I forgot and the years went by when every so often I would play that CD compliation or remember that radio programme. Well spotify came into our lives and I used it as a search engine for all those songs and genres you don't necessarily buy years back as a CD because ot the expense. I found Christy Moore and there he was, that voice, that atmosphere and that "friend". To cut a long story short, I listened to several songs by Christy and found that the ones that really worked for me were on this album. It is live, he tops and tails his set with great, witty and lurid tales and stories and then the songs rock out and the audience rocks with it. Looking forward to blasting this one in the car on those long boring motorway journeys.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2005
A recording that really captures the spirit of Christy Moore in live performance. He later said he gave so much on the stage that he could easily have died - and that's true. A man with the gift to speak for a people in changing times and with eloquence, love, intelligence ... and a thoughtful and passionate musicality. Wonderful knife-edge versions of songs like 'Black is the Colour' and 'Natives'. Track down a copy.