5.0 out of 5 stars Live the Dream
I was at the taping of this DVD in Leeds and I have to say Dave is THE funniest comedian I have ever seen live!! The whole theatre was in stitches from beginning to end. I am only disappointed that I can not rate this more that 5 stars because it easily deserves 10!!
Published on 12 Nov 2003 by Kathy

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!
Published on 16 July 2012 by Hamster

5.0 out of 5 stars Live the Dream, 12 Nov 2003
Kathy (Bolton, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
This guy is a genius at observational comedy, I defy anyone to not recognise themselves, their friends or their friends KIDS!!! in this DVD. From the mad things that parents say (yes you too) to the correct way to use a lavatory brush, the laughs just go on and on. If you already know Dave Spikey...this is him at his absolute best. If you've never seen him live then you don't know what you are missing (check out his website and see what dates are left)and if you like Peter Kay then you will LOVE Dave Spikey he is in another class entirely.
What else is there to say...except if you only buy one DVD/Video this Christmas....MAKE SURE ITS THIS ONE...you will not be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overnight Success Tour, 11 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Surely the fact that Dave Spikey co-wrote the brilliant Phoenix Nights is reason enough to buy this DVD?! If not then here are some other reasons..........

In the past few years the PN lads have pulled off a minor comedy revolution and have made northern club humour more mainstream; and Dave's DVD reflects this. It's a long way removed from the "alternative" or political comedy still on doing the rounds in southern clubs and some of the material has a retro feel, covering as it does old men's clothing, amusing cuttings from newspapers and gags about the effects of curry on the digestive system. However (and it's an enormous HOWEVER) it's heartstoppingly funny, being brilliantly written and delivered with a real warmth and skill. This might sound a bit sentimental but he also leaves you feeling good - at the end of the day his material is big hearted and compassionate - a welcome change from the sourness that some comedians fall back on for laughs.

Although he's recently hit the big time (he headlined his own national tour in 2003) Dave's been honing his act for over a decade now and you can tell because the whole show seems effortless. His timing's fantastic and he plays the audience perfectly, whether he's stretching every last laugh out of a straightforward gag or taking the audience with him on one of his more surreal journeys. He uses his voice flawlessly and the newspaper cuttings section I mentioned earlier, in which Dave recites crass rhyming obituaries from the local paper, becomes helplessly funny when he reads them out. You think "I'd never have spotted that if he hadn't pointed it out" - and as far I'm concerned that's a mark of great observational comedy.

Have I convinced you yet? Well, along with his stand up set there's ALSO a special feature which is worth the money alone - Interview with a Clubland Legend. This is basically Jerry St Clair from Phoenix Nights in all but name, and is a breathtaking 40-minute stream of consciousness from the The Legend about his dour northern upbringing, breaking into showbiz, and finally hitting the big time. The pace of the gags is breakneck, one after another, and you don't want to blink in case you miss a joke or a sideways look. For me this is just as funny as the main gig and the intimate format shows off Dave as a true master.

I'm obviously a fan aren't I? But honestly, if you want to see very, very funny stand up by a very, very funny man, then whip out that plastic now. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning- Spikey= Very Sharp, 19 Dec 2005
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I've never watched Phoenix Nights, and only first saw Dave Spikey at Comic Aid earlier this year. He was very funny then, but this is a new level of funny. Some fantastic jokes (especially 'Dobber Clobber' and the newspaper obituaries). His nervous start is part of the act, so don't worry, he's not an amateur.

Hilarious comedy from a man who is funnier than Peter Kay (and has been in comedy longer too). Few extras which is slightly disappointing, though the 1 extra offered 'Interview with a clubland legend' is funny enough to make up for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad news for dobbers, 14 Dec 2003
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Dave Spikey has been on the stand up circuit for a number of years now but is best known for his co-writing and starring role in Phoenix Nights. So on the whole 'Overnight Success' is a bit of a tongue in cheek title for one of the funniest stand up shows or DVDs you're likely to see either side of Batley Variety Centre.
Spikey's targets are too numerous to mention here but the daft sayings of parents and grandparents take up an impressive chunk of this disc with a degree of observation that we have really come to expect from our comedians from Tom O'Connor onwards. Such chestnuts as 'a watched pot never boils' and 'don't turn round but look who's behind you' are the basic ingredients of Spikey's repetoir. His accuracy and timing are impeccable as can be confirmed by his observations on 'dobbers' (fat people) dressed in yellow leggings and ten year old United tops with 'Sharp' on the front. In certain parts of Salford that's known as retro-chic, in others it's known as the only clothes they can find that will fit them.
So hats off to Dave Spikey. If you liked Phoenix Nights you'll love this, if you think Peter Kay is funny you'll split your sides watching this. Unless you come from Wigan of course
(you'll have to watch the DVD to get the connection).

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 years on, 6 Nov 2013
M. A. Cossins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
A mate lent me this DVD shortly after it was released and at the time it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. I'd never watched Phoenix Nights so didn't know what to expect other than my mate telling me it was 'brilliant'.

I loved it, northern humor, predominantly observational humor, in a great setting and with an appreciative audience.

There are some classic routines...... Dobbers, Obituaries and the visit to the GP spring to mind.

10 years on these still bring smiles to me but watch any stand up video that's 5+ years old and the jokes/routines will have been regurgitated ad infinitum by a shed load of people since (including the comedian themselves) and what once looked fresh will invariably seem dated.

Great on it's release, and I wouldn't want it to be out of my DVD collection, but a little dated now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I found this DVD in a charity shop today and now have a good idea as to why it was there. I have never seen such an unfunny comedian. It was surreal and quite sociologically fascinating to watch an audience roll about laughing at pathetic jokes that I have read in Christmas crackers: eg, 'The escalator had a sign that said 'dogs must be carried'...yes, you've guessed it, he spent ages looking for a dog....I flat-lined after 30 mins of this drivel and mourned the loss of my £1.50 I honestly enjoyed my hernia operation more than this DVD and it says a lot about northern humour!

5.0 out of 5 stars DAVE IS THE BEST, 1 Feb 2004
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I think dave spikey is better than peter kay , i think peter got in the limelight first but if dave had he would have been more popular, dave spikey is an excellent stand up i saw him at the lowry and i thought he was brilliant i also saw peter kay but i didnt like the atmosphere bloody security everywhere couldnt even go for a pee without being asked questions i thought royalty was in the building! at least dave answers his own e mails, i bet he licks his own stamps too.
Anyway i think he's ace and a lot funnier than peter kay you just have to stop comparing them...............just cos they wrote phoenix nights together doesnt mean they have to tell the same jokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You carry on dave i still love ya!!!!!!!!!!1
joanne nice buns big baps bolton

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Spikey- The Overnight Success, 30 Oct 2003
Swifty (Loughborough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I saw Dave Spikey live on his tour in Loughborough and trust me it was brilliant!If you were lucky enough to see Holly Mary on the tour with front, middle and back bottoms I am suprised you survived the night without dying of exhaustion.Then came Dave... My sides ached for a week with dober clobber, the obituaries...everything was just hillarious!Just straight comedy from a top class performer! One of the only comedians, as well as Peter Kay, who can make you laugh out loud none stop for over an hour with "nothing blue".I have to say that this was better than Peters Top of the Tower.Be prepared to laugh your socks off...warning: go to the toilet before you watch!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Spikey review, 8 Dec 2003
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen Dave Spikey live at Chorley town hall, I rushed out to buy this DVD to relive what was possibly the funniest night out I've had all year.His relaxed style puts you at ease and the stories he tells are fantastic. Well done Dave, you have done Chorley proud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, not entirely original but........., 25 Jan 2004
Jason Gaston "Jay & Jenny" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I would agree with some of the previous comments about this dvd.
This is stand up like it used to be, proper gags, one liners etc. Now the first thing that struck me was for a dvd rated 15 it did contain a lot of swearing. So if your thinking of watching this one with your nan I would think again.
Many of the jokes I had heard before, some I hadn't OVERALL I gave this dvd 4 stars because plain and simple it made me laugh. some of it was very easy humour and maybe did depend on shock value using the odd F word just to put a bit of a sting to the joke BUT it is a good dvd.
If you enjoyed Peter Kay live, Ricky Gervais live and even if you though some of Dave's lines in Phoenix nights where funny then you will enjoy this dvd.
IF on the other hand you are going to compare him to Peter Kay then sorry your never gonna be a winner. Peter Kay is THE comic of the moment and as long as comparisons are going to be made nobody will come close.
Dave Spikey in my opinion did a very good job on this dvd and I for one would NOW go and see him live.
Could have had more extra's though!!!

Dave Spikey - Overnight Success Tour [2003] [DVD]