5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you would expect and more
This is exactly what you'd expect from a Johnny Cash christmas album and then there are some atmospheric talking tracks still with the music behind, but if you don't like that kind of thing there's 20 tracks to find something you do like. A great christmas album as I expected it to be and better 5 stars for an Xmas album!
Published on 21 Nov 2009 by Mr. B. Willis

3.0 out of 5 stars A good album - shame about the shmaltz
Published on 9 Jan 2010 by Mr. S. Smallwood

5.0 out of 5 stars hubbies idol, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: A Christmas Collection (Audio CD)
bought this as a xmas present an was satisfied with product as was hubby spose hell be singing along in cab at work haha

3.0 out of 5 stars A good album - shame about the shmaltz, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: A Christmas Collection (Audio CD)
Received this album for Christmas and have given it a couple of listens. At first I was put of by the shmaltzy hollywood Christmas style backing (both music and choir) to some of the tracks. However, the wonderful Cash voice wins out in most cases. The album gets more interesting with the talking tracks and the hard luck stories told in them. They may not be what you would expect, but Cash's tone and voice makes them either tug at your heartstrings or makes them over the top funny. A curate's egg of an album but worth a listen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine if you know what to expect, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Christmas Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this CD on the strength of "That Christmasy Feeling" as used on TV ads in the UK. I was hoping for more of the same, but I have to say that I agree with the negative reviews on this one. As they have pointed out, many of the songs are spoken and some are outright depressing. It's fair to say that you shouldn't expect a commercial, happy clappy album from Johnny cash, but I just felt that it didn't work with a xmas album. I mean, you wouldn't want to be playing songs about poverty and death while eating your xmas dinner...

That said there's some good stuff on the CD. I deleted some of the tracks, but kept 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 19, 20 (where Cash sings).

I appreciate that there are many who will like the format (xmas, spoken and largely downbeat) and Johnny Cash fans will be used to his story-telling in his music. But if you like a bit of cheese at xmas you'd best avoid this.

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 8 Dec 2008
liz (channel isles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Collection (Audio CD)
I am a fan of johnny cash his voice is superb,i have many of his albums,but this one im sad to say is awful in most of the tracks johnny is talking more than singing.it is so slow and lifeless for cash.I am hugely dissapointed with this album and will not be listening to it again for a christmas cd it is very depressing.I wish id have bought another of his albums instead instead please dont waste your money on this one .It just does not do justice to this this great singer at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Load of rubbish, 8 Dec 2012
It was a waste of my money Its on the wrong format I wanted to put it on disc to play in my car but I cant do that

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 11 Dec 2011
P. Walton (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this album because I wanted a Christmas album and I thought Cash's voice would bring a different style to the songs. What I got was a cd where I was preached at what seemed like almost every track. Ironically track 6 is entitled Joy to the World this cd doesn't do that by any stretch of the imagination. It was mawkish, dirge like and would have been more suitable for a very bad funeral. I struggled to listen to this all the way through and by half way just wanted to cut my wrists. It really should carry The Samaritans phone number on it. When it reached track 13 I thought at least O Come All Ye Faithful will be pleasant to listen to. It wasn't. He destroyed it. This cd is going in the bin

ARRAY(0xafea8fc0)

A Christmas Collection
A Christmas Collection by Johnny Cash (Audio CD - 2008)