5.0 out of 5 stars The Stones roll even further!
Being a Stones fan and seeing Madison Square Garden and Twickenham shows,I was eagerly awaiting the Four Flicks DVD set!After a lot of hours spread over 2 days watching the 4 discs,all my expectations were more than I ever believed possible.The camera-work,sound,bonus features,were all the best I have ever seen or heard on a music DVD.Starting with the documentary disc...
Published on 18 Nov 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD Set...But
Let me start by putting this in perspective. I've been a lifelong Stones fan, since I was 5 and THEY were 5!(As a band) I used to sing "Mother's Little Helper" in the shower!
Their Licks Tour, allowed me to see them LIVE for the first time in my life and it was one of the great moments in the 41 years I've been around.
Now to get to "Four Flicks" The image...
Published on 2 Dec 2004 by Kuruvilla Abraham

5.0 out of 5 stars Please allow me to introduce myself ..., 30 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
Let's get one thing completely straight. I'm relatively new to the Rolling Stones. I grew up a Bowie fanatic and have dibbled and dabbled with all kinds of classic rock - Pink Floyd, The Who etc. The Stones I would give a casual listen to, such as the 'Forty Licks' album. Then a work colleague lent me this to have a look at and with an open mind I gave it a go. I was completely and utterly mesmerised, blown away, knocked out cold by the awesome live music contained on these discs. I am not exaggerating. After seeing these 'old men' in action, my admiration of Oasis, U2 et al took an instant tumble. I own many concert DVDs: The Who, Pink Floyd, Bowie, New order, but this is without question the most spectacular of them all. If anybody doubts the Stones, as I did, just give 'Midnight Rambler' a whirl on the New York disc. This is the single greatest live performance I have ever seen. Everything, the guitar, drums, timing, vocals, and, not least the amazing stage presence of Sir Michael (20 years my senior) have to be seen to be believed. I got this for Christmas side by side with Queen live at Wembley. While Freddie wows me with his stage presence and vocals, Mick Jagger does even more and I find his whole persona magnetic. While Bowie wil always be my favourite artist for his sheer diversity and creativity,as a live act I do not think this group can be beat. They are as near to perfection as you can get and they actually look to enjoy every darned minute on stage. One watch is enough to make you go out and buy the classic Stones albums from the 60s and 70s. I think a lot of todays 'groups' would pack up and call it a day after seeing this, especially Jumpin' Jack Flash and the way Jagger dances for 5 full minutes as he whips the Twickenham crowd into a frenzy. And to think I thought he didn't deserve a knighthood! Go and treat yourself to this DVD masterpiece. Sound, colour, picture quality, music, packaging - the lot -completely and utterly magnificent in every respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Stoned in the comfort of your own house, 21 Feb 2008
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
You are reading this because you know something about the Stones and are wondering if it is worth the money. Well it is most definitely an essential purchase for any Stones fan. From start to finish it is an unalloyed pleasure to see the worlds greatest rock band at work and to hear them play so well.

This a thousand times better than the very disappointing Shine a Light. The band are still playing the music with a fire and skill that has been diminishing as Keiths fingers tighten up with arthritis(just check out any photos where you can clearly see Keiths left hand, the fretting hand, and you will see that the joints on his first two fingers are getting larger and larger). By the time we get to Shine a Light his playing is not that impressive at all. Mind you I will still not be able to play as good with all of my fingers as he could with one finger by the time I am his age.

The change in venues adds interest as the band has to approach each in a different way. The best work being done in the smallest venue. The Twickenham section has the distance that such huge venues bring with them and that intimate fire is lacking. They still play a blinder, but the scale of the place is against them reaching the heights they acheive in the Paris Olympia.

I was lucky enough to get front row for this tour and the dvd is a good approximation of what it was like.

Essential viewing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stones cannot stop rolling, 8 Dec 2003
Richard (Axminster, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
I first heard the Stones live back in the heady days of the sixties when they were a bunch of mopheads playing blues in pubs and clubs in London. They were exciting to listen to and watch then, and judging by this magnificent set they still are except they are far more accomplished and have a much bigger sound.
This superb package covers so much of the bands material and approach to their music it is difficult to pick out the highlights. They still play the blues wonderfully just listen to "I just wanna make love to you" and "Rock me Baby". In fact there are many songs on this dvd that the Stones have not performed live before or not for many years; "Bitch" "Star Star" "You got me Rocking" also soul standards "Love Train", "I can't turn you loose" and "Going to a Go Go".
What dominates the whole series of three concerts and other takes is the sheer quality of musicianship and dedication by the band. Make no mistake these are not slipshod perormances, they play as a professional tight band but with some excellent solos; Ronnie Woods' guitar on Can't you hear me knocking" is some of the best he has played, Keith Richard let's loose some wicked guitar as though he has a machine gun in his hand, Mick performs a few growling harmonica solos. Throughout Charlie Watts is playing as though he is a 20 year old and is better than ever. What an inspired addition is bassist Darryl Jones , his funky beats give so much depth and groove to the band. Something else that stands out is the added prominence given to the Stones backing musicians, Chuck Leavell boogying on the keyboards, Bobby Keys Rocking sax, the soulful vocalists, Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin all give their heart out in so many stirring numbers. I cannot pick out any one track for special mention so many are so good. It will take you hours to delve through this wonderful collection , there is also a delightful documentary from behind the scenes that reveals the hard work and attention to detail that all the band give to their performances, even down to the set design. This set is like a large coffee table book that is made to pick through and every page is a delight. Enjoy! (one postcript, will there be a "live" album to compliment this dvd? and will the Rolling Stones please record an album of blues standards!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD Set...But, 2 Dec 2004
Kuruvilla Abraham (Chennai, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
Now to get to "Four Flicks" The image quality is great the sound is great but only 1 of 4 DVD's is in 16:9 format and the Stones STILL dont see the need to have DTS sound. And I JUST invested in my big ass 42" Plasma Panel HDTV! :-(
Having said that, Four Flicks is a treat. I have Babylon, which is a better concert than any of the 3 on Flicks but the image and sound quality SUCK. What's nice about Flicks is that you get to see and hear long forgotten favs like "Going to a Go-Go" and it's an awesome feeling to sing along to a song u last heard 20 odd years ago!
If you love the Stones, Flicks is a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Flicks, 19 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
Absoliutely sensational DVD! A must for any Stones fan! I think this DVD will be the one that other bands base their future output by...

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Ficks, 5 Feb 2014
bearcat (Sheffield England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
They are men of wealth and fame,and they turn out classy videos ...........goes great with bigger bang,ladies and gentlemen,shine a light .....first barbarians.....................................

5.0 out of 5 stars stones. four flicks, 3 May 2010
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely brilliant! Hours of entertainment. Great behind scenes, great music. Stones at their best.
Really good arrangements, and able to choose your favorite tracks and scenes.
If you're a stones fan, buy it, you will luv it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lick your lips on these four flicks!, 2 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
Just buy it and watch it, you won't believe your eyes.
Highlights:
disc 1: boston reharsals of worried about you and midnight rambler, can't turn you loose in munich
disc 2: midnight rambler (just perfect), satisfaction (it's funny how you think you got enough of it and then it leaves you speechless once again), ronnie solo on can't you hear me knocking
disc 3: pain it black
disc 4: that's how strong my love is (just incredible mickyish), no expectations (with keith on electric guitar and ronnie on lap steel)...
get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
If you enjoy the Stones you will certainly enjoy this...Best DVD I have bought to date!

3.0 out of 5 stars Going through the motions., 3 Jan 2004
Mr. W. Halligan (Merseyside, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] (DVD)
I am a lifelong Stones fan but I felt a little flat after buying this.

Disk one is pure documentary; a supposed `fly on the wall` and for what it is it is quite interesting, you so rarely ever see any of the Stones in interview. However, there is a feeling that it was simply designed to make them look good.

The other disks are concert footage and, unlike Steel Wheels & Urban Jungle, the band do not seem tight. The sound is slightly airy and lose. I have always thought of Jagger as the world`s most exciting white man on stage but here he seems to be tired and just going through the motions. Similarly Keith lacks conviction and he and Ronny just seem to be trading some tired old licks. Recent tours have included fantastic stage shows; not this one, really drab and dull.

Much of the concert footage was taken up with some new, not very good and quite forgettable numbers. Why do they never perform;Little Red Rooster, It`s all over now,We love you or some other of their mega hits. Could the answer be that they don`t own the copyright and would not get as much in royalties. If that is where they are now at; counting the pennies and squeezing the last drops out of a dry act, I am saddened.

I would have liked to remember The Stones as a band to be reckoned with not a fading cabaret act. Get the Imax video; that was superb, this is just a curtain call.

The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD]
The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD] by Marty Callner (DVD - 2003)
49.99