5.0 out of 5 stars The best in english music
I fell in love with VW years ago when I was a lorry driver. I used to tune into Classic FM and
wait for any piece of VW's music to come on especially The Lark ascending. His music kept me sane
driving long hours & long Distances. I have it on now as I write this. Enjoy !!!
Published on 8 Oct. 2011 by Malc116

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an interpretation I would buy
Published on 14 Mar. 2012 by Lovel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in english music, 8 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis; On Wenlock Edge; Norfolk Rhapsody No.1; The Lark Ascending; In the Fen Country [British Composers] (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly commended, 28 Oct. 2010
'This is a fine example of what can happen when the music is approached from a non-English standpoint, and by a master-conductor at that.' This in the BBC Music Magazine's review December 2010 of the Tallis Fantasia. 'The other performances on the disc excel also'. And all this for peanuts!

Incidentally the magazine reviewer places a 1962 recording by Barbirolli as his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pastoral bliss on a CD, 23 Aug. 2013
square eyes (Minehead, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just love this recording and has been spinning on my machine ever since it arrived. I have other versions of Lark Ascending (Tasmin Little) and this is a fine version but not quite up to hers, in my opinion. This is splitting hairs as the CD is my favourite VW recording i own. Wenlock Edge was a revelation which has led me to A. E. Housemann's A Shropshire Lad...A delight.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an interpretation I would buy, 14 Mar. 2012
If you are buying this for the Tallis Fantasia then you will be disappointed. I am afraid that in my opinion Haitink just does not get the subtleties and changes of pace and dynamics in this wonderful piece of music. He fails to capture either the tension or sudden hushed relaxation in this work which is also really the hallmark of so much British music. Foreign conductors can do it, Andre Previn for instance but Haitink here is not one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music to make you proud to be English, 11 Jan. 2015
If you want a taste of England, with emotive tunes, evocative of warm English summers, get this album.
Truly English music at it's best. Almost made me cry in places, & that's quite something for a hardened Jack Russell !

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, 24 Dec. 2012
Wonderful work - I know it well, and I think this rendering is very good. My father played the solo viola with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and this is nearly as good as that earlier one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis; On Wenlock Edge;..., 17 July 2011
Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis; On Wenlock Edge;... love it

Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis; On Wenlock Edge;...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 21 May 2013
Utterly sublime, heaven heaven heaven. Transports you to another England, where I would happily live forever. Close your eyes and absorb the blissful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vaughan Williams, 17 Oct. 2013
I love the music of Vaughan Williams and this CD is a very comprehensive collection. My favourite is Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis

5.0 out of 5 stars My relaxation cd, 18 Mar. 2013
I've heard this version a few times on the radio, and i think it's the best one available. I would certainly recommend this version.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›