Careful What You Wish for
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£5.24+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 22 October 2003
I pretty much own every single thing Texas has ever produced singles and album wise, and I can safely say this ranks as one of their best ever efforts it's been a long wait worthwhile wait. Vocally Sharleen is as mighty as ever and the Spiteri/McEhlone songwriting partnership is as strong as ever. A partnership which has been given extra spice in the form of Robbie Williams ex songwriter (you didn't think he wrote them himself did you?) Guy Chambers & Ex Lightning Seed main man Ian Broudie .
They have tried something new with this album and all credit to them it works like a dream. I could do a track by track review but I'm not. What I will say is that every single track on the album has single written all over it. All the tracks stand out in their own right. All I can say is maybe Carnival Girl was the wrong track to release as a first single, perhaps And I Dream which sounds great live, would have been a better choice. All in all this album is definately worth your money. If you wish for it you will not be disappointed.
on 19 November 2003
Texas return with a great new album that I have listened to constantly since buying it. I normally like to listen to different bands each day, but this album has me totally hooked!
Strangely , my opinion is that Carnival Girl (the 1st single) is perhaps the weakest track on the album; so if this has put you off purchasing the album, reconsider as the rest of the album is great. I am sure it will become a future classic.
"Telephone X" , "Broken", "I'll see it through", "And I Dream" & "Where do you sleep?" are all worthy of being released as singles.
Also I love "Place In My World" - its a great song.
As always Sharleen Spiteri's vocals are fantatstic & make your heart melt especially on "I'll See It Through".
Its a great & varied album with something for all tastes!
A must have album - so buy it now - sit back & enjoy.
on 21 October 2003
Texas are back! A really good album, I especially like 'Telephone X', 'Broken', 'I'll See it Through' and 'Place in my World'
I doubt it will be as big as such albums like 'White on Blonde' and 'The Hush'
I feel after releasing their greatest hits, they are starting over again with a refreshing new sound but with Sharleen's never ageing voice, its perfect, she could sing anything!
I wish them all the luck and i havnt stopped listening to the album in days! Im hooked!
on 19 October 2003
This is yet again another stunning album from this fantastic band. "The Hush" the follow up album to the quit amazing "White on Blonde" never really seemed to stand up to its great expectation. However after a two year break from the airwaves and the new arrival of Sharleen's baby, they have returned with a new sound and an album that is simply breath taking.
"Careful what you wish for" is ouzing pure talent. The first track to be released from the album "Carnival Girl" is by far no where near the best. The tracks "Telephone X", "I'll see it through", "And I dream", "Careful what you wish for" and place in my world" ar all much much better. I would have to lie to say that this album contained a bad track.
The album embraces a new sound for Texas. It has both some dance and rap influences but the Texas' foundations remain the same. It is a pleasant surprise.
If you are thinking about buying this album, stop thinking and start buying. It is by far the best album of 2003 that I know of and I gaurantee you wont be dissapointed.
on 20 October 2003
The true follow up to white on blonde, that the hush should have been. Texas are back on form. The band seem to have spent a lot of time on this album making it just right. As with white on blonde the tracks are varied from soft rock to classic pop tunes and then the collaboration with Kardinal Offishall on the carnival girl track, who would have thought pop-rock and rap would mix and work so well but it does. texas have been experimenting with different sounds and and it has payed off, every track is single material no album fillers here. the tracks have been well written making the album more than a collection of songs, its an experience. One not to be missed both by texas fans and music fans alike!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this album after purchasing their "Greatest Hits" album, expecting to be blown away. Unfortunately, at first, I wasn't that impressed. Recently, having listened to it again after a few months, I have found it has surprised me. I had forgotten that there are some great songs on this offering. Perhaps the reason why this album didn't get much attention was that, while there are great tracks, there are some songs which appear towards the end of the album which could have easily been left off.

"Telephone X", the opening track, is great - very uptempo; catchy music and catchy lyrics.

My favourite track is "I'll See it Through" - this is just a very beautiful love song. Definitely one for couples, or anyone helplessly in love. The lyrics are brilliant, very touching and moving. It sounds as though it is a song that has come straight from the heart. The music sounds more delicate than other tracks - a very good quality ballad.

"Where Did You Sleep?" is another standout track, picking up the pace after the more relaxed ballad. Although it is also about a love affair, this time adultery and suspicion make an apppearance.

"And I Dream" is also one of my favourites. The beginning sounds like a dance track - there is a very distinctive beat to this song, making it one you want to either sing or dance to. As the title suggests, the lyrics have quite a dreamlike quality to them: - "You buy a diamond for my throne / then build a penthouse on a hill / but my need to dream will still go on and on."

Upon reflection, this album is quite typically Texas - some fantastic songs that can stay in your head for the rest of the day, but with others that leave only a slight impression after hearing them. The "Carousel Dub" is one such example of this - in fact the album probably would have even benefitted from having this one removed.

But, as with any other release by Texas, Sharleen's voice is it's amazing self. She is a great singer, it is a shame that they don't get as much acclaim these days.

A recommended album - worth it for standouts alone.
on 13 February 2004
As a New Yorker Who attended Uni in Scotland and saw Texas Live, I thought they'd break through here. Unfortunately White on Blonde was the Last American Release. I used Amazon.co.UK to get their Greatest Hits and I was able to get my hands on this sweet Gem. It's an ecclectic album which really showcases Sharleens voice and the talent of the band. The Tunes range from a reggae inspired beat to some really cool "blue-eyed soul". I love this album and I hope it does get released Stateside, because it's well worth the listen
on 21 October 2003
After the huge Greatest hits collection, it was clear that this would be somewhat of a masterpiece. The minute I pressed play on the CD player, my ears lit up with joy, as I heard the brilliant Telephone X, the amazing Broken, and of course the mighty Carnival girl. It features a lot of guest stars on this album, and a lot of dance style tracks which will appeal to the masses. It really is a return to form for the Scottish music saviours. Sharleen and the boys have done us proud.
on 22 November 2003
As a music fan I have never been very keen on Texas I felt their music has always been average, nothing seemed to stand out. Then they released Carnval girl and I still wasn't too impressed, however after being forced to listen to their new album "Careful What you Wish For" I was amazed to say the least. This album is without a doubt amazing. It has some fantastic songs on it and as whole the album is pure genius. Out of the 12 songs two of them don't really show much potential Carnival Girl and Carousel Dub. However the stand out songs are.
Telephone X - This is my favourite. It is a really upbeat track, with the most amazing guitar and drum sound. I think this could get them a number 1 in the charts.
I'll see it through - This is the most touching ballad I have heard in a while. It was wrote along with Guy Chambers, who wrote almost everything Robbie Williams has released. This song in my opinion is better than Angels. A right couple song.
Where Did you sleep? - Another upbeat song, great single potential.
And I dream - This is an amazing track. It has a nice electronic rock/dance feel to it. A good uplifting song.
Place in my World - again a another strong song, and very lyrically driven.
This album is a must buy. If you are not sure then find someone who has it, have a listen then go buy it. It is deffinately an album with something for every music lover Rock, Pop, dance and rap, though I am not keen on the teo songs with rap sections. Overall a classic.
on 10 November 2003
What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said? It is a complete epic from start to finish. This is a cd when you buy it and play it, you feel like you have had your moneys worth and it will remain in your cd player for a long time, simply because it is that good. I promise anybody he is even thinking about buying this album, to do so. It is pure genius.
TELEPHONE X - This is an absolute classic, it opens with a ringing phone and eventually bursts into juicy slabs of guitar and an uplifting drum feel. Meanwhile the song has that darker sexual feel. Best song on the album. 10/10
BROKEN - Another guitar driven song, but the chorus has a great climax with magical qualities. 9/10
CARNIVAL GIRL - By far one of the weaker songs on the album, most will have heard it 8/10
ILL SEE IT THROUGH - This will be the ballad of the year if not the century. It is deeply moving and will even make the men among us cry. The song itself is very simplistic with a light piano feeling and haunting vocals by spiteri. 10/10
WHERE DID YOU SLEEP - For all those people out there who feel like releaving anger from a cheating partner this song is for you. Lyrics ask "where did you sleep, was it someone I know?". The song starts with basic guitar strum but builds up to a fantastic rock chorus. 10/10
AND I DREAM - Oh my god this song was sent from heaven. It mixes electronic pop with rock and it works like nothing before. The song itself is about how no matter what you have in live, it might not make you happy, you always dream for something more. 10/10
CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR - This song begins with blasting piano and handclaps and eventually reaches the most adictive chorus you will ever hear. It has an amazing uniquness about it. 10/10
BIG SLEEP - This adopts a very country retro feel, its very soothing and calming. 8/10
UNDER YOUR SKIN - Another good song, a nice rock song with that hint of pop, works like a dream. 10/10
CAROUSEL DUB - The down side to the album, probably a track you will skip. 5/10
PLACE IN MY WORLD - After a let down by the previous track, the pace is quickly picked back up. This sees Texas trying their hand with some dance music, It is by no means a failure. It has turned out very well for the band, considering this is unfamiliar grounds. The lyrics are very uplifting, After listening to this song, if you have been feeling a bit down, you will just feel like picking yourself up dusting yourself down and enjoying life. 10/10
ANOTHER DAY - Nice end to the album, again very different sound from any kind of music out there, the best way to describe it is pop meets rock and wow you have a good song. 9/10