4.0 out of 5 stars Quality accompaniment for a Brilliant Film
I am not usually a big fan of film soundtracks but having watched Kill Bill Volume 1 I was inspired to buy this one immediately. Throughout the film I was thinking WOW this is a good track, what is it? Whereas some of the ones I already knew such as Santa Esmeralda and just wanted it on CD.
Published on 12 May 2004 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars just not the same
If you actually like paying for what are little more than sound effects masquerading as tracks, then get this soundtrack. For example: Banister Fight - RZA; Flip Sting; Sword Swings - Luis Bacalov;Axe Throws - Bernard Herrmann.

Published on 2 Feb 2008 by Tim.T

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality accompaniment for a Brilliant Film, 12 May 2004
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
Having got the CD I was mightily impressed with the track listing and playing it back evoked such good memories of a brilliant film. I would recommend this soundtrack to anyone but particularly those who have seen the film. It contains a diverse range of music taking in soul, rap and japanese rock and will appeal to many people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic tarantino cult soundtrack, 14 Nov 2003
Once again Tarantino has created a unique film and soundtrack. In my opinion the film was everything i didn't expect it to be, it really took me by suprise. The soundtrack is also a little different compared to say, reservior dogs or pulp fiction, but its still a really cool album filled with fantastic tunes and even sound effects from the film! Once you understand that this is a film that Tarantino made for his screen character's, like Clarence and Alabama "true romance," then you can really apriciate what he has done here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music to die for, 12 Nov 2003
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
All the tracks on this album capture the mood of Tarantino's film pretty much perfectly. Admittedly, there aren't many songs you can sing along to as such, but each track does make you appreciate the great music that exists outside mainstream pop. The selected pieces of film dialogue are nice and help break up what is overall, a CD which has its fair share on drum'n'bass beats and frantic Latin riffs. I recommend it for anyone that enjoyed the movie, and I am looking forward to Kill Bill Vol. 2!!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it!!!, 4 Mar 2006
J. Brennan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
if you liked the film and are considering buying this soundtrack but are unsure then don't be. this is a fantastic soundtrack and has all the key pieces of music on here. very atmospheric music with some calming, some more loud!
one of my most played cds and i have had it a long time.
you won't be dissapointed

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art!, 2 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
This soundtrack is the best album I have ever purchased. Taratino made a great movie, but the soundtrack is equally as fantastic! Each song is different, yet they all follow a large oriental feel.
Even the dialogue tracks are still awesome, like Queen of the Crime Council, and You're My Wicked Life!
This album is a must-buy for any die hard Kill Bill fans out there who still dont own it! Tracks like Green Hornet and Battle Without Honour or Humanity are sheer brilliant, followed by equally awesome tracks like Dont Let Me Be Misunderstood and Flower of Carnage!
Just buy it! You wont be dissapointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bang Bang..., 19 May 2004
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I found this album truly amazing, a terrific blend of some old classics such as Nancy Sinatra's "bang bang" some old school retro TV theme ("Ironside") as well as some hip and trendy 1960's influenced music too in the form of the 5,6,7,8's "Woo Hoo!"
The album also contains some extracts from the movie itself which add a fun twist, which in turn make you want to watch the movie yet again! The different styles and sounds of the album I think work really well together and is most definatly worth a listen.
My favourite tracks on the album include Santa Esmerelda's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", the theme from Ironside and "Woo Hoo" by the 5,6,7,8's, a real example of how a band can just let loose and have fun with music.
All in all, a fun and fresh album with a great blend of themes which work really well together. Definatly worth a listen!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some exciting moments, 23 May 2007
K. Hung "Kenny" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
This is a well-put together reminder of how the film goes. If you liked the film, then, more than likely, you enjoyed the music in the film: that goes without saying.

I actually only bought this track for the superb trumpeter Al Hurt's version of the Green Hornet theme; it makes a great ring tone! But the other tracks, like most of Tarantino's soundtracks, include clips from the funniest/memorable moments of the film as well as the tracks in the background and foreground of the film.

Excellent: but only because I thought the film was excellent. Mind you, if you didn't like the film, you probably wouldn't read this page, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the CD Bill, 8 Mar 2007
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Audio CD)

This album is a must-buy for any die hard Kill Bill fans out there who still dont own it! Tracks like Green Hornet and Battle Without Honour or Humanity are sheer brilliant, followed by equally awesome tracks like Dont Let Me Be Misunderstood, Twisted Nerve and Flower of Carnage!

One of the best OST's ever !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Play the long version of "Battle Without Honor or Humanity", 11 Jan 2005
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I went to my first funeral recently and of course afterwards I was wondering what my own would be like. Apparently you have input in a few areas and one of them is music, and if I had my druthers I would like "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" by Tomoyasu Hotei playing as the casket is brought into the church. It would be nice if my eldest daughter dressed up like Gogo Yubari, but that would probably be a bit much. But right now that particular song has been playing on a continual loop in my mind and you can only play Chapter 13 of the "Kill Bill, Volume 1" DVD (which gives you Al Hirt's "Green Hornet" along with "Battle Without Honor or Humanity) so often and just listening to the little bit of the song on the main menu, after a bit of "Twisted Nerve" to set the stage, is sheer madness. But the real reason I picked up the soundtrack for "Kill Bill, Volume 1" is so that I can play my song of the moment whenever I get into the car.
Now, to be clear, while I am hooked on that one particular song and happy to discover that the song actually goes for a whole 2:28, it is not the only primo track in the collection. The epic is a 10:30 version of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"/"Esmeralda Suite" by Santa Esmeralda starring Leroy Gomez. There there is Luis Bacalov's "The Grand Duel" and then James Last & Gheorghe Zamfir and his pan flute for "The Lonely Shepherd" (4:20). Then for short bursts of fun there is Charlie Feathers' "That Certain Female," the whistling of Bernard Herrmann's "Twisted Nerve," Al Hirt's "Green Hornet," The 5,6,7,8's "Woo Hoo," and an excerpt from Quincy Jones' theme for "Ironside." Then we can mention that the whole thing starts with Nancy Sinatra doing the Sonny Bono song, "Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)."
For my money that is ten prime tracks, which for a soundtrack albums is absolutely outstanding. The only ones I have are, of course, Nancy Sinatra (my favorite female vocalist from the Sixties if you must know), and the theme from "Ironside" (I have a lot of CDs of television themes). Since this is a Quentin Tarantino film there are a few audio excerpts from the film, O-Ren Ishi's speech as "Queen of the Crime Council" and most of the final dialogue of the film when the Bride tells Sofie Fatale "You're My Wicked Life" (which you will probably find ends too soon for your tastes). But "Kill Bill" is about stunning visuals and great music rather than unforgettable dialogue in the tradition of "Pulp Fiction." In fact, if they had ditched the dialogue and added the two little bits of music that come at the start of the film before Nancy starts singing I would have been happier (being nostalgic over the "Feature Presentation" music is what happens when you get old).

2.0 out of 5 stars just not the same, 2 Feb 2008

For those wanting to get a true Kill Bill soundtrack, with all the movie music included, you will be disappointed to hear that the following tracks are ABSENT from this soundtrack or are totally unrecogniseable from the movie version:

'Nobody But Me - The Human Beinz' - absent;
'Seven Notes In Black - Vince Tempera' (this is the music playing as Kiddo is about to slash Buck, but is heavily rapped over by RZA or whoever he is);
'Long Day Of Vengeance - Armando Travajoli' - absent;
'Death Rides A Horse - Ennio Morricone' - absent (this is the major "House of Blue Leaves" music as Kiddo and Oren come face to face for the first time - the music rising as Kiddo cuts off Sophie's arm. If you want to hear this piece, DO NOT buy this soundtrack;
Urami-Bushi - (Meiko Kaji) - absent

Maybe it's just me, but I thought "original" means what you hear on screen is what you get on this soundtrack. Of course not, silly me! While I absolutely adore Kill Bill and its soundtrack I'm so annoyed they use the "original soundtrack" label on this when clearly so many memorable tunes are absent, making way instead for what looks like nothing more than a promotion for a stupid rapper who doesn't even appear once in the damn movie! The words "rip" and "off" spring to mind. Not only that, but this is the second "original" Kill Bill Vol 1 soundtrack on Amazon which, err, surely calls into question its originality.

Take my advice: do some research; find out EXACTLY what songs are used in the movie, including looking in the actual movie credits themselves; then use either iTunes or Napster to search for them. Then assemble your OWN soundtrack, ignoring the tracks you don't like! It will be cheaper and you'll get EXACTLY what you want. If, like me, you want a soundtrack to invoke and reflect the actual movie, you will be disappointed. This original soundtrack does not do it justice one iota.

Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 1 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2003)