Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 September 2003
Although this is Dave Matthews without the help of his band, it still has very much the same feel due to his unmistakable and incomparable vocal abilities. As an album it is very tight, without any weak tracks, and the musicianship is superb. Dave’s voice is clear and not, as is sometimes the case with albums recorded with the whole band, overshadowed by the complex musical backdrop. The lyrics are, as usual, unique, touching, and thought provoking. Take, for example, Gravedigger, which has the recurring plea: “Gravedigger, when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow, so I can feel the rain.” Dave Matthews (and his band) have had limited success in this country but they are absolutely huge in America, and if you want to know why he is such a strong student favourite then check this out. In short, buy this record if you appreciate song writing and you want a beautiful musical experience.
on 26 March 2004
I'm going have to be honest and say this album was a little hit and miss for me. There are some songs I adore and there are some that i could easily do without, which I feel holds the album back from legendary status. I listened to this album having never heard any of his albums with the band and there is no doubt that Dave Matthews has awesome talent. My favourite songs on the album being "Dodo" and "Stay or Leave". They are just amazing compositions. However "Save Me" I thought sounded too much like an eighties U2 song, and others like Grey Old Eyes and Another thing i found boring. Overall while I cant quite call this album outstanding, I did enjoy it and I will be certainly looking out for future releases from Dave Matthews
on 10 January 2007
I have all of DMB's albums and agree with most of the things people are saying about this album. It isn't quite up there with Crash and there are one or two songs that are only fairish (relatively speaking), e.g. Dodo. However, the crowning glory is Some Devil itself. For me there is something quite magical in the way that, armed only with a single electric guitar and his voice, this man can reach into your heart, tear it out and jump on it in front of your very eyes. You can physically feel his pain. It is spell-binding in it's intensity and absolutely sums up this man's genius. To be a genius in three areas songwriting, singing and instrumentally just plainly isn't fair. Which of course is why the Great British public, with its innate sense of fair play, only seem to buy stuff from talentless robots churned out by Cowell and his mate.
on 28 September 2003
on 29 September 2003
Got this on Saturday, and it has not left the CD player since. Where does Dave Matthews get all his beautiful lyrics from, he just never disappoints, if it's him doing his own stuff or singing with his band, his music and lyrics just get better and better. Among the many musicians accompanying Dave on Some Devil are Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio and Dave's long-time collaborator, guitarist Tim Reynolds. Bassist Tony Hall (appeared with Bob Dylan, the Neville Brothers, and Willie Nelson) and drummer Brady Blade, Jr. (appeared with Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Chris Whitley) also appear on the album.
My favourites from the album
Dodo
So Damn Lucky
Gravedigger
Trouble
Stay or Leave
An' Another Thing
Too High
If you a fan of the Dave Matthews Band or a new fan this is simply a work of Art. Go and buy it !!!
on 26 September 2003
As the days get colder and nature turns from green to brown, Dave Matthews returns with his first studio solo debut. Couldn't have been a better timing. This album fits right in. It has a definite autumn-mood. Honest, melancholic songs that are stripped to their simplicity. It's like a intimite private concert at home, while it's raining outside and the wind howls around the house. But inside it's warm and safe.
Listen to Trouble and Grey Blue Eyes and you know what I'll mean.
This one makes my Top Ten List of 2003. Beautiful! Dave at his best.
on 29 September 2003
What a great album! It's such a shame that Dave and the band aren't big in the UK. The tunes on this solo album from Mr Matthews are good examples of how great a singer/songwriter this guy is. Standout track has got to be Gravedigger. So good they included it twice (the acoustic version is the raw Dave Matthews sound that I have come to love - check out Dave and Tim's "Live at Luther College" CD for more). I would definitely recommend this album to fans of DMB, and also to anyone who enjoys listening to music.
on 8 February 2004
Call me a cynic, but having listened to Everyday and Busted Stuff, it seems that Dave has been holding back on us a bit. Maybe he felt it was time to do a solo album of stuff that doesn't quite fit the commercial side of the Dave Matthews Band.
I must say, I'm glad he did.
This album is awesome. From the moment I heard the first note to the end of the fantastic acoustic version of Gravedigger, I realised that Dave is back on top form.
Not only are these songs catchy and singable, they do so much you would not expect, sonically and structurally. Check out the gorgeous time signature shift in Stay or leave or the strange but comforting groove of Dodo.
There's moments of pure sweetness such as Oh, where Dave is hardly singing with any volume and the bombast of Too High which is Led Zeppelin in 5/4!
If you think I'm being over the top, then I am.
I love this album it's got joy and melancholy and it rocks you in place most albums never can.
Buy it and enjoy it.
on 4 March 2016
What a great album! LOVED IT!
on 27 October 2003
As a massive fan of the Dave Matthews Band I have to admit to being disappointed with this solo album. I found the songs dull and the whole thing lacks the vibrancy of the band. Carter Beaufort (the DMB drummer) was sorely missed!