5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to listen too
Every now and then a new talent arises that you know will be around a long time. Will Young is that talent and this album is the defining moment when he uncovered the style of music that he would re-define.

Published on 3 April 2007 by Scully Bloke

3.0 out of 5 stars will young fridays child
it a great albulm forturnatley i have it on disc but cant get it to download and the change of amazon web pages is confusing !! would like a refund if ness
Published on 23 April 2011 by rach

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to listen too, 3 April 2007
Scully Bloke (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)

Its a marvellous album of great R&B songs, all sung with a hugely unique voice that has matured dramatically since his talent show win a few years earlier.

The title track Fridays Child is simply a plessure to listen too. I have played it to death in my car CD. All the tracks are excellent but Leave Right Now and Love is a matter of Distance really show the quality of Will's voice.

The album is quite brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have in your collection.!, 6 July 2004
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
What can I say.? Well whats the best review you can imagine.... to me that means real talent, real emotion, where every song grips you and you love it leaving you wanting more. cheers to will ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Friday for the English Gent, 9 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
I admit I am no untamed Will fan and that I bought this album on hearsay more than anything else, so I hope this review finds you in an unbiased and feet-on-the-ground kind of way! Oh, I don't give marks away without merit, by God I don't! A 9 from me is almost unheard of in these parts!
1. Love the one you're with
As far as opening tracks go, this can't fail to impress. If you don't sing along by the second chorus or get up and shake your booty, you must have a lethal hangoveror worse, you may well be dead. Yes, it may be a cover but what an unspoiled and somewhat more addictive version than the original. Enjoy. Play it in the car while breezin' in the sun. 8/10
2. Your Game
A powerful orchestral manoeuvre here which comes at you from every angle incorporating Will's charged vocals and a strong choir. Personally I had to get used to listening to such a unique modern day slice of (dare I say it) "pop" tinged with a good helping of "soul" and a dash of "jazz", but you know what they say about trying and trying again.
3. Stronger
No-one seems to have picked up on the Annie Lennox feel to this song from her Diva album (utterly fantastic incidentally) so I thought I would stick my neck out and say it. A low key ballad with a huge hook and a great instrumental section before the final chorus. Tip: play this at a good volume with the light off while lying on the floor semi or totally naked!!! Or, just play it...
4. Leave right now
How many broken hearts or people about to break one bought this song?! We know the lead song, we know it sounds beautiful, we know the video is a tug at the heart strings, and we know it grew on us little by little. Strangely though, not my favourite as I don't have a broken heart and I am not about to break one!!
7 (and a half)/10
5. Love is a matter of distance
I am undecided about this little number. Sometimes I can imagine waking up and having a good stretch to this one and feeling all warm and fuzzy inside (but I might be in tears if I were in a long distance relationship...never again I can tell you!). Other times I might be tempted to skip over it with the old remote. There's nothing wrong with a sweet mid-tempo effort but I can only describe it as, erm, pretty (in a kind of dawning realisation that distance can actually be a real sod!)
6 (and a half)/10
6. Dance the night away
Hoorah, we're moving again. A fluffy guitar rift weaves its magic under a funky, if not slightly tame, drum beat and grabs you by the time Will has finished with the first chorus. Oh, and I am not an aficcionado of the trumpet but it works here and I like it. So there.
7. Very kind
There are two tracks on this album I just don't flipping get and this is one of them. With a glum, downbeat feel (understandable with given lyrics such as "you got wings but you can't fly, you got so much pain inside") but it doesn't really strike me as the kind of song anyone would really WANT to listen to unless life was close to ending. And even then I would be more inclined to put on Kylie and my hot pants (if I owned any!). This was obviously meant for someone close to Will, but for God's Sake, are you trying to cheer them up or kill them man?!
4/10
8. Free
The violin introduction, all sad and atmospheric, nearly pushed me over the edge. But then I realised we were back into blessed drum machine territory with a highly addictive hook throughout. Will is still trying to get out of a relationship, but this time he's doing it with style and a memorable slice of what I would describe as melacholic pop!!
9. Going my way
I renamed this song as "going away" as I wished it would! Much like "very kind", just as downbeat and even less memorable beacause it is number two of the yawns and you always remember your first yawn, erm, first.
4/10
10. Out of my mind
Enter "disco Will". This song is much needed after the previous effort and does not disappoint at all. He's still not a happy chappy, but by God at least he can dance himself into oblivion. Michelle Mcmanus should be doing this kind of disco (only with happy-go-lucky lyrics). Glitter balls at he ready and off you go!
11. Fiday's Child
A massive groove sweeps its way through this epic chunk of soul/pop and you can't help but throw your head back, stretch your arms out to the side, and feel lucky to be alive. A beautiful arrangement and that little magical, thoughtful touch from Will provides more than enough brilliance to keep you smiling and wondering for the ninety minute duration of the closing number. (ok, it's not ninety minutes, but it is long!)
9/10
Overall, a very good album that, inspite of a few fillers, will leave you wanting more. Will has found a niche which not only suits him but may well put him up there with Annie and George if he plays his cards right. Pop Idol turned credible: you go boy! Gareth had better get to the back of the Job Seeker's Allowance queue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fridays Child-, 5 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
Here it is, I have just listened to it so this is what i think of Fridays Child!
1: Love the one your with, The only cover version on the album, Very impressive, Strong Vocal but not too powerful, Good intro!
2: Your Game: This is the type of song we expected after Pop Idol, away from the Pop element, A funky song, and should be the next single(in my opinion)
3: Stronger: Amazing, Will's voice shows it true power here, and lyrics are showing how he deals with criticism:: "It only makes me stronger, When you say i can't do it, Il work that bit harder, When you say its not within my grip"
4: Leave right now: Got to number one, actually one of the weaker songs on the album but that is not an insult!
5: Love is a matter of difference: Simple song - Beautiful music and the voice is great!
6: Dance the night away: Another soulful song, with full orchestra backing, and Will just rises to the ocassion of working with an orchestra! A song to get up and dance to.
7: Very Kind: Nice song, acostic guitar, with Will for most part. Not full use of his voice but it works well!
8: Free: Again with an orchestra, another soulful style of song, with Will using own vocals for backing vocals - nice touch.
9: Going my Way: A safe simple song, may be realesed as next single, depending where he wants to go, voice is on top form.
10: Out of my mind: Soulful - a song to get up and dance to , well worked, use of vocal synthesiser really expands Wills voice even more!
11: Fridays Child - This was the song that i heard a lot about and the hype did not dissapoint the song - This is what makes Will better than most, at 9 mins long, it may sound as if it lasts a lifetime but it doesn't, Use of mid part allows music to grow and you really appreciate how good it is. Use of orchestra works best here.
To conclude, I am a will young fan but this album really blew me away, It puts likes of Gareth gates to shame and on this evidence, Will shall be here for a long time to come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 5 Dec. 2003
JHCO (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
Will Young is not the type of music I would normally be found to be listening to, but I brought this album as a spur-of-the-moment thing, and was absolutely amazed. I loved "Leave Right Now", and this was the basis of buying this album. I have to say I prefer Will's more up-tempo tunes, such as "Your Game" and "Free", but I also love "Very Kind". This album is a massive step away from the Pop Idol days, he co-wrote 6 of the 11 tracks on the album, which is a huge step in the right direction. the album moves along at a fantastic rate, a mixture of up-tempo, chilled out and ballads. Absolutely 100% inspiring, I seem to have it on repeat non stop since I brought it.
Many people still label Will Young as a 'reality TV star', which is was initially. He was bound to have been discovered another way with a talent like this. Take a leap of faith and see him as an artist, he's taken a massive step away from the Pop Idol scene and deserves recognition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Shows That UK Music Is On The Up, 22 July 2004
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
After the smash hits Leave Right Now and Your Game, Will Young turns to the title track of his Multi-Platinum selling album Friday's Child for his seventh single release.
Writen some 10 years back Fridays Child has never been released by an artist prior to Will Young's interpretation in 2003. Whilst the album version is some 9 minutes long the single version has been edited down to provide a sublime chilling summer tune which has all the characteristics of a soul classic. Melodic, Simple, Haunting Vocals and Superbly Produced by Steve Lipson this song has everything that is required in a top class single, whislt also promoting the versatility of Will's Friday's Child album.
As well as the Steve Lipson produced single mix, Groove Armada's Andy Cato has also produced a Remix which has already been dubbed by some music writers as the chill out tune of the year! This version of Fridays Child lends perfectly to the ear and would not go a miss in a smooth sophisticated or chill out bar in a bustling city centre!
This Cd has shown now why Will Young is now the UK's biggest selling male artist this year, and if this Cd is anything to go by it seems as though he is going to be around for a long time yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, 4 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
When Will Young's sophomore album arrived on my desk, I resigned myself to listening to a collection of average pop ditties held together by a great voice. I was pleasantly surprised...
Friday's Child is a very accomplished follow-up to his successful debut, From Now On. Flavours of soul, trip hop, jazz and funk elevate Will Young from talent show winner to accomplished singer and songwriter...
On lead single, Leave Right Now, Young's plaintive voice informs of the struggle between the heart and head; on Sade-meets-Morcheeba "Stronger", the difficulties of his first year as a recording artist, complete with the prejudices he faced, come to the fore. Northern soul influences are evident on tracks like "Dance the night away" and his reworking of the Stills and Nash classic, "Love the one you're with". Closing track, "Friday's Child", is an 8 minute epic with a beautiful instrumental segment that has you reaching for the volume switch - to turn it up!
My only criticism is that the lead single is not very representative of the album - anyone expecting more pop ballads may be disappointed by Will Young's new, mature sound.
Stand out tracks - Stronger, Very Kind, Friday's Child.
Fillers: None.
Verdict - A winner - one you'll have on repeat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, Mr Young!, 12 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Will Young's Steve Lipson (Annie Lennox, Paul McCartney) produced second album for about a week, and it's now truly grown on me. At first I kept returning to the lead single, Leave Right Now, and comparing the album as a whole to his debut, From now on, which I really liked. They couldn't be more different but Will has always stood out from the crowd in having a unique, distinctive voice, and that hasn't gone anywhere! I now much prefer this to From Now On - it is definitely more "Will Young" - very funky and soulful, with a bit of pop and jazz thrown in... and while From Now On was mainly mid to downtempo, over half of this is upbeat, which will go down very well at concerts and the like.
The album opens with Love The One You're With, a cover of the Northern Soul song by Crosby, Stills and Nash, the only cover on the album. It is very similar to the original in tempo and arrangement. I like it, but it isn't one of my favourites and a curious one to open with. It is uptempo and gospel tinged. 7/10
Your Game - I really love this one, the next single, surely? It is funky with a great gospel sounding backing. 9/10
Stronger - this is a beautiful song, a big contrast to the first two, tempo-wise. Sounds a bit Zero 7-esque in it's production. Love the end of the middle eight, the way it builds back into the chorus. It's one of my favourite songs on the album. Will's voice sounds divine on this. 9/10
Leave Right Now - we all know this one - a beautiful ballad with great lyrics and a fantastic, soulful middle eight. 8/10
Matter Of Distance - a nice, sweet song that's rather short. I like it but it isn't one of my favourites. Mid tempo, more pop than most of the others, in the vein of the song, From Now On, on his first album. 7/10
Dance The Night Away - a uptempo, funky song, with some really cool horns! Love it! 8/10
Very Kind - really love this one. Initially found the backing a bit plinky-plonky but it got better on further listening. Midtempo, with a great string accompaniment. A very intense song, with great lyrics. 9/10
Free - starts of with strings - then goes all funky. Sounds very Seal - esque. Great song, very upbeat! 8/10
Going My Way - another one of my favourites. This is very acoustic sounding, quite chilled, but groovy at the same time. He provides his own backing vocals to the song, to good effect. Quite soulful, has some lovely horns. He sings this in a much lower register than most of the other songs. 9/10
Out Of My Mind - This is the most upbeat song, sounds like something from a Jacksons album. It's probably a grower, not one of my favourites. 6/10
Friday's Child - this is my favourite of all the songs, and doesn't feel as long as it is - over 8 minutes. It is midtempo, soulful, jazzy... It starts of very Lighthouse Family, but the chorus sounds more Michael Jackson - then it all becomes very jazzy instrumental for a couple of minutes, with Will adlibbing intermittently, then after another even jazzier instrumental section his voice returns to end the song with the echoing line "Friday's Child..." The arrangement is beautiful, and I do not think the song would have worked if it was any shorter. 10/10
Overall - This album as a whole is definitely one of my favourites - if not my favourite - this year, and I buy a lot of albums! Some might complain that it's too short, but I think it's just right.
If Will Young continues making music like this, he's going to be around for a long, long time - and thank goodness for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars For all soul lovers!, 7 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
Will Young's second album sees him move away from pop and more into the soul, funk and jazz arena whilst still remaining contemporary and fresh sounding. I was a bit concerned when I heard the first single off this album, Leave Right Now, as it was a country-style pop ballad, which was not what I was expecting, but other tracks have proved that Leave Right Now is just a taster of better things to come - like the hauntingly beautiful Stronger, the jazzy Very Kind, the upbeat and funky Dance the night away and Your Game - the latter definitely a future single, the gospelly Love the one you're with... so many styles, but all very soulful, but still poppy enough not to alienate people that are not naturally soul inclined.
Lyrically, Will Young has come of age... Going my way, a gentle, Jill Scott-esque song, is about where he is at now, mentally, and Stronger seems to be about how he deals with prejudices thrown at him. His struggle with himself is evident in Out of my mind, where he describes himself as "a mouse of a man", and the album closes with Friday's Child, a mid tempo jazzy soul number that lasts for an amazing 9 minutes.
My favourite tracks on the album are Your Game, Very Kind and Stronger. Leave Right Now and Free are my least favourite but they are good songs - just not ones I'll have on repeat.
I'll strongly recommend this album - Will's voice and heartfelt lyrics seem destined to make this one a sure-fire hit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Takes A Step Away from "the Norm" Superbly!, 24 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Friday's Child (Audio CD)
As many critics say, an artist's second album is often the most difficult to write and produce especially if the first had been extreemly successful. So... once again enter Will Young into the equation. The "underdog" from the original Pop Idol series has once again proved that rules and expectations are there to be broken.
This album is far from ordinary, 11 tracks, all possible classics in the making. Co-written by Will with an array of other writers and produced by Steve Lipson, "Friday's Child" provides the airwaves with the most refreshing breath of air in years as Will looks to distance himself from the stereotypical popstars and their style of music.
Friday's Child starts with the cover of the Stilles, Crosby & Nash hit "Love The One You're With" this gospel felt piece of soul starts the album off on a high and to be fair the album just gets better and better after this point.
"Your Game", the second single, is next up and is completely original! This song is one of the highlights on the album, a funky soul number which is set to blow the singles chart away when released in mid March. the great orchestral and gospel backings to this song immediately make you sit up and listen!
Then come two ballads, Will style! Non of the Westlife stereotypical smoochy stuff though. "Stronger" and "Leave Right Now" get straight to the point and with great pinnache. These are produced beautifully and are once again completely a step away from the "norm".
Track five is the beautiful "Love is A Matter of Distance". Again a ballad but just with suttle acoustic guitars, slow, mellow strings and Will's amazing White-boy Soul voice. This has all the hallmarks of a number one single and is a song which will have you singing it all day.
Track six turns to the more funky side of Will's ability. "Dance The Night Away" will have you doing exactly what it implies in the title. Out of a similar mould to Your Game, Dance the Night Away is funky, soulful and very powerful and catchy.
"Very Kind" and "Free" give the listener the chance to hear Will's moodier approach to his music. Very Kind is a moody ballad which Will delivers superbly, so much so - many are tipping it to be the third single off the album! "Free" is again an upbeat number but with a difference. "Free" samples Bill Withers' Who is he and what is he to you to good effect(The backing beat to Free's chorus is the backing to Who is He and what is he to you - just a little bit faster - Who is he is quite bluesy. The melody and lyrics are different, though)
"Going My Way" shows Will's diversity whilst maintaining his own stlye. With smooth guitars "Going My Way" seems to have direction which you could imagine at a jazz cafe and you could that this would be great at an acoustic gig. The vocals on this track are very much emphasised and after you listen to all the layers and you will be left feeling in a state of relaxation.
"Out of My Mind" has been dubbed as Will's version of a Michael Jackson song/sound. This is a comparison which is relatively fair. You could imagine this being a Jackson track from his earlier years. Very soul felt and very funky. A great track for the penultimate song on the album. This is a song that will leave you wanting more.
That something more is the title track "Friday's Child", and believe me it really is something more. Elapsing over 9 minutes "Friday's Child" proves to be one of the highlights on the album and a perfect way to close the multi platinum album. This blends mellow strings, sultry vocals, tenacious flutes and a hint of magic to give a very "Bond-esque" sound. If this track was to be cut down it wouldn't be the same, you need the 9 minutes for the music to develop and provide you with a final track that will leave you crying out for more.
It is no wonder why WIll won Pop Idol with an album like this. After a year out of the limelight all the signs are pointing that 2004 is going to be a huge huge year for Will.

Friday's Child
Friday's Child by Will Young (Audio CD - 2003)