5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Album
Published on 3 July 2004 by Lee St Clair

2.0 out of 5 stars the same over again
Okay here is the problem with this album. first off all westlife have never done an album with out puttung a cover version of some one elses song and they take the credit for it. Secondly all the songs sound the same just like their other albums. Also this album is well over produced. So of you have their first 2 albums then don't wast your amd buy this albums. The 2...
Published on 17 Dec 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Album, 3 July 2004
Lee St Clair (Miami, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
I really love this CD. Westlife just continues to reinvent itself, and this is nowhere more evident than on Turnaround. I like the song Mandy when Barry Manilow first recorded it, but Westlife's version has the advantage of the brilliant 5-part harmonies the band is justifiably famous for. Hey, Whatever has brilliant lyrics and an odd, catchy melody and rhythm that makes in unforgettable. To Be With You is a song I first heard on the Greatest Hits Tour DVD. Even though it's a cover, it shines brightly in the Westlife interpretation. It is great to finally hear Kian and Nicky doing some solo work, and Kian's into to Heal makes it obvious why they ought to do it more often. The ballads on this DC (and anyone who has read my reviews of their previous albums knows I am partial to ballads) have a more contemporary sound to them, but they are as pleasing and enjoyable as any they have previously recorded. The up tempo numbers all convey the distinctive Westlife touch, and round out an selection of songs that is memorable and easy to enjoy. If the news I read on the web is true and Bryan has indeed left the band, it's going to be tougher to continue with the quality that we have become accustomed to from Westlife, but this is one group that can survive the loss of a member because the remaining four can all sing, and good four-part harmony is still just plain good. More power to them for a great CD, and the best of success to them as they carry on into the next recording project.

5.0 out of 5 stars They best yet from westlife!, 21 Nov 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
Easily the best of the westlife albums! my favourite on the album is the song 'obvious'. it describes my life totally! but anyway heres a track by track description to show you why you HAVE to buy this album!
1. Mandy - Barry Manilow classic, but the lads do a good job! shane sounds great as usual but not much different to the original.
2. Hey Whatever - everyone knows it, feel good track, but not one of my faves.
3. Heal - a great up tempo track and it sounds even better after the key change near the end!also starts with kian which makes a change! also has nicky singing later!great song!
4. Obvious - My favourite on the album. basically about liking someone, making it obvious but the other person not realising! story of my life! "you don't ever notice me turning on my charm, I wonder why I'm always where you are." Great!
5. When a Woman Loves A Man - Massive power ballad. Very catchy and meaningful. Bryans voice sounds great on the second verse.
6. On My Shoulder - personally a bit bland. Nice sounding piano but a bit like westlife on the second album. a bit 'so what!' but still good.
7. Turn Around - Title track. a BIG shock! very upbeat and a bit weird...but good weird! got weird noises goin on in the background, but the chorus is really catchy! Would get you on the dance floor no doubt!
8. I Did It For You - Another power ballad, what this band do best. I really like this. Lyrics are beautiful.
9. Thank You - Now THIS song i LOVE! second favourite on the album! its upbeat, bubbly and you can't help but sing along! If you liked 'World of Our Own', you will LOVE this! trust me! shane brings out his rocky voice and sounds great!
10. To Be With You - A cover, but done so much better! it's got an edge I've wanted to hear from westlife for so long!
11. Home - A ballad, but done really well. Definitely not an album filler.. it's genuinely a great song. You could fall asleep to this song no problem.. but not coz its boring!
12. Lost In You - Reminded me of 'more than words' from the first album. It's great! good acoustic feel to it. 'Heaven knows, I'm head over heals and it shows.' Surprisingly a feel good song!
13.What Do They Know? - An amazing end to an amazing album. The bridge is the best bit, sung in a way only shane can; 'How can you understand a love so strong, When you've never shared that with someone...' I love that line.
You HAVE to buy this album to appreciate how good it is! Happy Listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars wicked album, 30 Oct 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
the most mature of the westlife albums and according to the bryan from the band, this is the "make or break" album. in my opinion its the best yet from what ive heard.
my favourite song on the album is the beautiful song 'obvious'. shane on the lead but also kian takes part of the bridge i think and it shows of his voice beautifully.
A surprise on the album for me was "the way that you love me." a very catchy upbeat pop number from the band that makes u wanna get up and dance without a doubt.
another great song is "to be with you." i believe its a cover, but it is great for the album. it has a rocky edge to it with the guitar sounding fantastic. the opening line also shows off shanes vocals brilliantly. also nickys voice later on is as husky and gorgeous as ever! one of my firm favourites!
'hey whatever' everyone knows. good song. personally not one of my favourites.
mandy the newest single to be taken from the album, previously by barry manilow, but i reckon all 5 of the lads pull it off great!
'on my shoulder' is another favourite. a typical westlife ballad which is deep and meaningful. a good song to fall asleep to coz its so relaxing!
look out for 'when a woman loves a man.' beautiful song with a catchy edge near the beginning.. u'll see what i mean when you hear it!
basically so far a great album. a must for anyone and especially westlife fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing sound for old and new Westlife fans..., 23 Nov 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
In facing tough competition from UK acts like Blue, Westlife has released a new album "Turnaround". Despite the criticism of Westlife's covering a supposedly-boring Barry Manilow's song "Mandy", Westlife has also bagged another "Number 1" for the best single of the week record. Being born in the early 80’s, I didn’t hear this song until Westlife has sung it. In my opinion, Westlife has done justice with this cover by paying tribute to the true veteran of all “ballads”, Barry Manilow. Understandably, most people would write Westlife off as "boring", "king of ballads" and "boy-zone imitators". This is subjective to different opinions and beliefs. Under the scrutiny and relentless “private lives” pursuit of media frenzy, Westlife will probably have to bear with these name-callings until they finally depart.
Like most, I pre-ordered "Turnaround" at a local store a month ago and queued up early today (23rd of November) in the morning with other Westlife fans. The anticipation was soon over as I received my copy of their latest studio creation. Surprisingly, “Turnaround” is exactly what Westlife has described themselves – the BEST of all Westlife albums. There is a tremendous improvement in terms of maturity, sound and vocal arrangements in "Turnaround". Gone are the days when Westlife sing mushy songs about puppy love and infatuation. The lyrics of every song have deeper meanings and thoughts that shows Westlife's commitment to sing better songs for their fans.
“Turnaround” cannot be considered 100% Pop, as it showcases a range of musical influences like rock, country, funk and ballads of course. My personal favorites are "Heal", "Obvious", When a woman loves a man", "On my shoulder", "Turnaround", “I did it for you”, "Thank You", "To be with you" and "Home". That’s a total of 9 good songs out of 12 in my opinion. This makes the CD a worthwhile purchase this season. Although I’ve already bought this Asian release of “Turnaround”, I’m proud to say that I’ve preordered the UK version as well. The UK version even has an enhanced section to access an exclusive “Westlife Fan Conference” footage.
Lastly, I’m glad that Westlife is still one and are singing better songs than ever. As time goes by, Westlife will prove their critics wrong by releasing classic albums/singles one after another. Give this album a listen and you may like the album after all!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely album to listen to!, 28 Oct 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
I recently heard this album in another country and i have to admit that all of the songs are fabulous. I'm still not too sure of Hey Whatever but I'll get over that. I must say what a lovely rendition of Mandy they done. Of course nothing will better Barry Manilows version but still Westlife did this song justice. Also, the song To Be With You originally recorded by Mr. Big is a lovely song to sit and listen to. Also, the title track Turnaround is fabulous. I must say this album is their best by far! Well done guys, you've done yourselves justice and sound is of a more mature sound. Compared to the last 4 albums, this one is defintely more aimed at older audiences like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turnaround, best so far!!, 1 Mar 2004
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
I personally think that "Turnaround" is the best album the lads have produced! It is a great combination of Westlife ballads and after all that is what they are known for!, but it has a couple of really rocky, funky tracks - Turnaround (title track) and Thank You. I feel that these type of tracks really show the true diversity of the lads' voices.
This, I hope is a taster of what the lads will do in the future and after all nobody expected them to still be around and with 5 Number One albums to their credit!!
Well Done Westlife!

5.0 out of 5 stars westlife turnaround, 26 Nov 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
in my oppinion this one of westlifes best albums. the songs on it are great my personal favourite is "heal me" all of the guys sing on it. the open verse is sang by kian. it has some up tempo tracks like "turnaround" and "thank you" and of course you have the great ballards like " i did it for you" and "obvious" it has "mandy" which is there 12th number one single. it is truely worth buying it. this is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!!, 24 Nov 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say!! I'm a massive Westlife fan, and was eagerly awaiting this album after the disappointing Greatest Hits. Turnaround was well worth waiting for. My favourite songs at the moment are "Turnaround", "Thank you", "Heal", "Lost in You" and I love "Mandy" and "Hey Whatever". Of course the others are also great, and "To Be With You" is just as good on the album, as it was live on "The Greatest Hits" tour. The ballads are still there, and are as powerful as usual, but the funky tracks are fab!
The only fault I can think of, is that compared to the last 3 albums, this one is too short, with only 13 songs, when we are used to 18/19. Oh well, the songs are brilliant, and I highly reccommend it! (Oh, and my Husband likes it too!)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Ok album, 28 Nov 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
I am a massive Westlife fan, and this is a good album. However, its not their best. They have a couple of Corking tracks on there (for example turn around) but there are also the typical westlife style songs. There is nothing wrong in that, but i'd like to have seen them try something a little different like ronan did. Dont get me wrong, if ur a westlife fan, u'll love this album, if ur not, dont expect n e thing different to normal westlife stuff. A must for all westlife fans, not for pop haters! (altho u may wish to give the title track a listen cos its pretty good) and also listen to nickys vocals on 'to be with you' very nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars WESTLIFE's 5th outstanding album., 28 Nov 2003
This review is from: Turnaround (Audio CD)
The guy's have done it again. A get refreshing new album but with the all the usual vocal talents. There's a good mix of up-beat tracks and of course their renowned ballards. Definetly proving they stand the test of time 5 albums later. Keep it Up!!

Turnaround
Turnaround by Westlife (Audio CD - 2003)