4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a pretty face - this is an outstanding debut
What a wonderful talent she is! So young, but very mature, with a great voice, a lovely personality and a head that is not big, but is screwed on correctly. All this can be gleaned from this CD/DVD version of the album.
Published on 4 Dec 2004 by Cloudberry

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD disappointment
Great music, BUT ... The DVD appears to have some sort of protection on it, and will not play on my computer. I am not happy about this and will be returning the album. Items like this should have a warning about incompatibility with computer playback in the advert, so that we know when not to buy!
Published on 6 April 2006 by R Gibbons

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a pretty face - this is an outstanding debut, 4 Dec 2004
It is a wonderful assortment of styles and sets her apart from a lot of other singers, although she will be compared to people like Norah Jones. The DVD, highlighting her in concert at Croydon's Fairfield Hall, as well as her talking about the album, band and videos, shows her to be unspoilt and as good live as on record.
She has a great set of songs here, all of them worthy of their place on the album. Bearing in mind Mike Batt was first known for the Wombles (bless them!), half of the album tracks are his compositions.
However, there are other composers' songs here - she does a very good reading of John Mayall's "Crawling Up A Hill", an equally excellent version of James Shelton's "Lilac Wine" .... and there are a couple of her own songs, the impressive "Belfast (Penguins and Cats)" which recall her days in that city and "Faraway Voice", a song dedicated to Eva Cassidy, whom Katie is a big fan of. This last song is nice, but too heavily influenced by Christine McVie's "Songbird" which Cassidy sang so splendidly. There's the classic Randy Newman song "I Think It's Going To Rain Today". However, the arrangement just doesn't do it for me and a the one major disappointment on the album.
Nevertheless, this edition of the album tells you more about Katie Melua and shows her to be very pretty, very talented and with a very fine voice.
Finally, I must say the collection of musicians on the album and the DVD should get a mention - they are all very wonderful. Mike Batt has brought together some serious experience which, no doubt, from whom Miss Melua will learn from. Just one other point about the concert, I wish Mr Batt had not worn that top on stage - it deflects a little from the star attraction!
I'm not certain what Katie's follow-up album should sound like. Perhaps she will need to avoid being too similar to Eva Cassidy (or anyone else, for that matter) - she has a different kind of voice and has enough about her to develop her own style. but I am already looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A restoration of faith, 30 Sep 2005
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
I stopped buying CD's in this genre ages ago because everyone seemed to come from the same 'factory'. Then I caught "The closest thing to crazy" on the Terry Wogan show. I was so bowled over by it that I stopped the car to listen properly. What an amazing voice! An order for the CD followed quickly and I was not disappointed. This girl is undoubtedly one to watch. About 18 months on I'm still putting the headphones on late at night and playing "Lilac Wine" over and over... People keep comparing Katie with Norah Jones but her emotional involvement, dynamic & musical range, and pure artistry remind me far more of Barbra Streisand, and I can offer no greater compliment. Can't wait to hear the new album!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Star is born, 11 Sep 2003
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
I had the chance to hear some of the tracks of CALL OFF THE SEARCH already and was blown away. Katie Melua is a new Talent discovered by Composer and Arranger Mike Batt. The Album has a jazzy and bluesy feel and reminds on old classics by Ella Fitzgerald. Katie's Voice is so brillant and she wrote some of the songs herself. Katie sings classics like "Climbing Up A Hill" as well as her own compositions like "Spider's Web".
But the real winner of the Album is her first Single. Mike Batt's new arrangement of "Closest Thing To Crazy" which has been played on BBC2 already and many Fans have signed her Guestbook on her own website [...] asking for her Album or Single.
When I first heard some of the tracks I had to think: "Ah, yes. This is exactly what I missed in our charts for all those years."
It made me feel warm and cozy and I can't wait to hear the rest of the Album.
Now finally her Album is available. Let's buy it and play that old fashioned music again.... (and again...and again...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - it's about as good as it gets, 7 Jan 2005
Gorgeous voice, marvellous melodies and sublime lyrics. This is one hell of a CD. The DVD really puts the icing on the cake as you get to see (and hear) Katie performing live and she really kicks ass.
I thought Norah Jones was good, but this is unbelievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie Melua - what a find!!, 19 Feb 2004
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
As a singer myself, there are other female singers I admire with some varying provisos, for example I might not like the way she treats a particular song, etc. It is seldom that I sit and listen with enjoyment and admiration to a whole album from a singer without much to comment on. But this young girl has an amazingly mature voice and approach, fresh, singing straight from the heart without so many of the vocal "clever" embelishments, trills and fancy panting that you hear from other young singers. Also, she sings from her lungs, and not from her head and nose! I admit that I cannot remember when I last bought a CD from a new performer; most of my purchases since getting a CD player have been re-issues of my scratched vinyls.
I do trust that the music industry does not take this girl in and muck her about, only to spit her out later on. The case in point is Elkie Brooks - a great talent and thank goodness she is still out there performing, but no thanks to the music industry!
I can thoroughly recommend this debut album - definitely value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie Melua-Call off the Search, 22 Dec 2003
N. Wilson "nigel-wilson" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
This album is brillient. It's refreshing and chilled out. People may have dubbed 18-year-old Katie to be the next Norah Jones, but she's better. This is a blues album which can make you smile! The first four tracks have to be the best on the album, "Call off the Search" being a gourgus love song, "Crawling up a Hill" is the most upbeat on this album, and has true emotion in it, "Closest thing to Crazy", Katies single, is a tearful blues track which i think is supurb and "My Aphrodisiac Is You" is another quite upbeat song which is quite sexy and really good to listen too.
I think this album should be owned by everyone. Katie has a true talent here, and it is so nice to here an album with a difference. Katie has overpowering vocals and the backing combinefd with them sends goosepimpls up my spine. This is an album to be enjoyed by all.
A cool 9/10 for Katie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, every track is wonderful, 25 Dec 2003
J. GLEW "jane glew" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
Kaite Melua's debut album 'Call off the Search' is quite simply one of the best albums of any genre in 2003. Her music is easy to listen to and with excellent lyrics this is one album that you won't want to miss.
Katie Melua has been compared to Norah Jones in her style of music. But, however, they are both two completely different and unique performers. In my opinion, 'Call off the Search' is a much better album than Norah's album 'Come away with me' mainly because I think that Katie has a much more relaxing voice than Norah Jones.
Excellent to the last, a true masterpiece !
Buy Now !

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional new talent, 19 Nov 2003
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
What an excellent album - all the tracks are subtle, different, with a bluesy jazzy rocky thing going on that makes her hard to pigeon-hole
For all lovers of Nora Jones, Eva Cassidy, Dido or just good well crafted and original songs - get it and love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD disappointment, 6 April 2006
R Gibbons (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely,enchanting,haunting!, 2 Aug 2004
MR "the master" (HARROGATE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great single to have if you got the album but would also serve as a great introduction to miss melua's work.This first track lifted from her amazing album is a gorgeous jazz ballad,next up we have "the shirt of a ghost"which is an interesting tale & beautiful little track.The track that does it for me is"Deep purple" which is truly haunting,it had me spellbound,the way katie sings this song in such a away it just send shivers down my spine,brilliant.All in al fantastic stuff to have in any collection.

Call Off the Search
Call Off the Search by Katie Melua (Audio CD - 2003)