5.0 out of 5 stars Myst: Addictive - Immersive - Enjoyable
It is fair to say that gaming has moved on since the original Myst was released in the mid 1990s. Back then the game captured a large and loyal following who appreciated the puzzles and the strange but captivating storyline. I played this game first on a Sega Saturn in 1995 and I was hooked from the start.
The first thing to say about this game is that you are...
Published on 9 Nov 2005 by father2

1.0 out of 5 stars Still trying to get it to work!
Published on 11 Sep 2009 by Holden Grove

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Myst: Addictive - Immersive - Enjoyable, 9 Nov 2005
father2 "father2" (England Europe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
The first thing to say about this game is that you are alone, on an island trying to solve puzzles that will help you to make progress. Some of those puzzles are relatively easy while others are very difficult – for example the sound puzzle inside the space rocket. But you get a lot of satisfaction when you solve each puzzle and I would suggest that no matter how frustrated you get at times, don't give in and seek help from other sources because you will regret it in the end. The satisfaction comes from solving everything for yourself.
The imagination that has gone into this game is staggering. From the initial island of Myst you will be able to explore four more worlds and these are full of more puzzles for you to solve. All along there is a story being told and it is essential that you take note of everything along the way, read the books you find, because they will help you ultimately make decisions that will result in losing the game or succeeding in the end. Who will you trust?
I recently redid this "Myst Masterpiece Edition" and though I remembered many of the solutions, I certainly enjoyed going through the whole experience again on my PC. The memories came flooding back the moment the music started in the beginning and it was a joy once more.
Technology may have moved on and computer gaming may indeed be much more sophisticated today than it was back in 1995, but Myst proves that the experience is the thing that matters and if you haven’t played this game then you really should, because it is simply a gem of a game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myst and Windows2k, 15 Mar 2004
D. Thorpe - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I recently bought this version of Myst as I had lost my original. It is advertised as working on 2k but, although it installed, it wouldn't run at all. Eventually I discovered that, if you have downloaded the latest Service Pack for 2k, you activate compatibility mode and right click on the desktop shortcut, then properties, and select Windows95 from the compatibility section. It then runs beautifully. Therefore - no need to hunt for fixes.
This game is an absolute bargain and I am enjoying revisiting the puzzles and places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myst - Totally Addictive!, 26 July 2004
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I was completely hooked on Myst. Not being a computer gamer I didn't think I could get addicted but I love the puzzles and seeing things happen once you solve them - its very easy to let this take over all your free evenings. Friends have said the same. I have now started the sequel Riven and again am totally addicted.

4.0 out of 5 stars What have you myst?, 26 Nov 2003
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
Why have you never played Myst before? Thats what was said to me by a friend so I bought it and it is a definite 'should not miss'. I have always liked strategy games and games that get your mind working but never tried this one before until now. I bought Myst Masterpiece Edition for a very low price on Amazon and I think its great.
Though this game is not the full action adventure with blood and guts everywhere like most tedious recent games, it is point and click with fantastic views whichever way you turn with puzzles and mystery mixed into an ambient, mind boggling, captivating, and a bit addictive game. There are islands to explore in order to fulfil your quest with beautiful scenery and sounds that capture your mind. Takes a little while to grasp the story line but thats part of the game.
Like I say, after all these years, I really feel I 'Myst' out on this but now I am ready to Riven,

5.0 out of 5 stars Its great - and it can be made to work with Windows 2000 etc, 23 Feb 2004
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
The only thing you could complain about this game is that it is too short, and possibly a little too easy. You can miss the ending too if you get impatient after handing over the . . . . (dont want to spoil the end for you, just stick around)
The Windows 2000 problem is easily fixed, but you have to download the fix from fan sites not the manufacturers which is a bit of a pain. We had to reinstall quicktime to stop the game hanging at certain fixed points on our PC too

5.0 out of 5 stars Myst Revisited, 29 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
Wanting to recapture my early gaming days, I bought this version of Myst to play on my Vista 32bit Sp1 laptop. I knew I might have a few problems getting it to run but I thought that for the price it was worth a try. I had to try several workrounds (ending up with the black screen and sounds several times) but finally hit upon a combination that seems to work. Here goes, it might work for someone else too.

Firstly uninstall your current Quicktime including folders in program files. (This means that Itunes will not work - depends how much you want to play Myst!) Install Myst allowing the disk version of Quicktime(4.0) to install. Once the install is completed find myst.exe in the program files Red Orb folder. Right click and go to compatability. Leave the compatability mode unchecked, but put a tick in the following three boxes, 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution', 'Disable desktop composition' and 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. Click apply and close everything. Now go to control panel and find the Quicktime icon. Open and change the following settings, Video - options, uncheck 'enable DCI'. Sound out - device - waveout (speakers), rate 22.050khz, 16bit, mono. Close. Also whilst running the game disable antivirus programs and programs that monitor your computer constantly - windows defender etc. Sometimes it is necessary to disable these in services.(I disable my wireless so that there is no incoming traffic whilst I'm playing.)

So far the game has run well, and I am having fun solving the puzzles again after all these years albeit sightly quicker this time round! I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!!!, 7 Dec 2003
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
This is the best computer game I have ever played, and also the best in the series. The destinct lack of people in the game to explain things to you makes the atmosphere deliciously eerie, as you are totally alone in an alien environment, and have to piece the story together yourself.
You can become totally absorbed into the game, and the graphics are stunning.
I would definatly recommend this game to all lovers of stratagy, or if, like me, you just want to escape the real world for a while, and be absorbed in a new one and not play some gory violent game ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars not a review,but some help, 17 Nov 2004
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I noticed a couple of reviewers mentioned a problem running this software on their version of windows, a quick fix that may help is to:
-install the game
-right click on the shotcut for it on your desktop
-select 'properties'
-click on the 'compatability' tab
-and select the version of windows you want the game to run on.
I've done this with a few old games i have.
Hope it helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still trying to get it to work!, 11 Sep 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I had really fond memories of playing Myst years ago although never actually finished it. I was looking for an adventure type game to play and found that Myst was now available for XP. I was thrilled and really looking forward to getting into it again. The trouble started when trying to load it onto my XP machine..it took my husband some time searching forum sites to find the patches and fixes required to get it to run at all. I finally got it to run but now I can't save the game - it starts a new game each time. I'm sure there's probably a fix out there but my husband hasn't had time to sort it out for me and I'm clueless when it comes to things like that so Myst is back in it's box unplayed. It was and is a fantastic game but I guess it's just meant to be played on ancient equipment and can't cope with current operating systems. I only bought it because I thought it had been upgraded to run on XP as it claims on the specification but unless you're into finding all the fixes and work-arounds it just doesn't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Of Its Time, 27 April 2007
J. D. Ritchie (Bridge of Weir, Renfrewshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
It is a bit clunky and dated now and navigating about (especially in the tree age) is a chore but it is very cheap and a good introduction to the idea of non violent gaming. ##DO NOT## buy it if you are deaf. Many of the puzzles rely solely on hearing and will be impossible.

If you can get it then play the "Real Myst" version which is easier to navigate about in and is more involving.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD)
Myst: Masterpiece Edition (PC CD) by Focus Multimedia Ltd (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / XP)
17.95