on 24 June 2007
I had one of these years ago and must say it did exactly what it says on the box. Timed my eggs perfectly, whether I started them in hot or cold water. Going to buy another one.

Be warned that since there is no bell sound or beep at the end that you should not leave it unattended or forget about it and allow the water to boil away otherwise this little sucker will melt. I did, and it did, hence the need for a new one.
44 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2008
This truly is the best egg timer you will ever find. One really good tip though is to let it cool down naturally and don't immerse it in cold water. I did this with my first one and it cracked.
on 10 November 2007
Couldn't resist the appalling title. Sorry.

This is the best egg timer I've ever used. Okay the alternatives (hourglass, watch, guesstimate) do much the same thing but these bad boys allow you to cook soft, medium and hard boiled eggs, regardless of how fast the water is boiling, regardless of the size of the pan or even how many eggs you're cooking at once.

Sure you need to keep an occasional eye on the pan and yes, they do melt if the water boils dry, but even so, they're worth every penny if (like me) you despise dunking soldiers into hard eggs. I've had one for years and used it loads, and everyone who sees me using it wants one - a nice Christmas stocking filler m'thinks!
55 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2008
I bought this as my eggs in the past have been hit and miss and also out of curiosity and is works like a dream, I dont know how it does it as its only a chunk of something with no working parts or anything, but it seems to get the job done
on 30 November 2007
Once you use one of these you won't know how you ever managed without it. Perfect results every time. Sure you have to keep an eye on it but I get far better results with this than with a timer.
on 7 February 2009
This item is a god-send. I've lost count of how many i have bought for friends and relatives.......
Just place this egg-shaped lump of plastic in the water with the eggs and it "cooks" at the same rate as the eggs do. The red display shrinks towards the middle at the same rate as the eggs cook from the shell in and when it reaches the mark that you require (soft, medium or hard) that is when to remove the eggs.
Perfect results are attained whether you boil from cold or add to boiling water.
A must buy!!
James
on 14 April 2009
These work quite well, I have just bought a new one as the old one fell apart after a while. Seeing as they are not expensive I'm not to bothered that I had to replace it.

They are made from a clear plastic in two halves with a thin film (the red bit) glued in-between. We found that after a while the clear plastic begins to cloud a bit making it hard to see and eventually the two halves separate.

So I would say consider it a disposable item and you won't be disappointed. It really does work quite well, the eggs do come out as indicated on the timer (soft, med, hard).
on 15 October 2009
I wasn't overly optimistic when I bought this item after reading other reviews but I must say I think it's wonderful. The problems some people seem to have is that the display is hard to read after the water boils. I have overcome that by turning the heat right down to a mild simmer. The bubbling water then does not obscure the wording on the timer. The first egg is a bit of hit or miss and provides a guide to exactly where on the chart you prefer your eggs. I have found that half way between soft and medium gives me a perfectly cooked white but a soft yoke.

All I need now is one that beeps when it reaches my chosen mark and I'll be even happier. The question has to be, is it more effective than just putting the eggs in a pan and setting your timer, which DOES beep when ready ..... I can't honestly say it is but, since I bought my two Timers (I got one for a friend who was asking for one) at a reasonably cheap price, I am happy with my purchases.
on 4 January 2011
Works well, eggs more often than not now turn out how they should. Just a quick note to say you need to make sure your egg timer is the same temperature as your eggs to start with. If you keep your eggs in the fridge make sure your timer goes in there too!
on 6 May 2008
I read review, never write them, but this product has made me write about it and I can't stop talking about it.

Getting the perfect boiled egg doesn't sound like a big deal but when your as fussy about your eggs as my wife is...

This 'gadget' just gets it right every time, I love it, the wife loves it and the kids get perfect solider dunking eggs every time.

Get one, you won't be dissapointed. The best kitchen gadget I've ever bought.

See one answered question