on 24 June 2007
I had one of these years ago and must say it did exactly what it says on the box. Timed my eggs perfectly, whether I started them in hot or cold water. Going to buy another one.

Be warned that since there is no bell sound or beep at the end that you should not leave it unattended or forget about it and allow the water to boil away otherwise this little sucker will melt. I did, and it did, hence the need for a new one.
44 comments| 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2007
Couldn't resist the appalling title. Sorry.

This is the best egg timer I've ever used. Okay the alternatives (hourglass, watch, guesstimate) do much the same thing but these bad boys allow you to cook soft, medium and hard boiled eggs, regardless of how fast the water is boiling, regardless of the size of the pan or even how many eggs you're cooking at once.

Sure you need to keep an occasional eye on the pan and yes, they do melt if the water boils dry, but even so, they're worth every penny if (like me) you despise dunking soldiers into hard eggs. I've had one for years and used it loads, and everyone who sees me using it wants one - a nice Christmas stocking filler m'thinks!
55 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2007
Once you use one of these you won't know how you ever managed without it. Perfect results every time. Sure you have to keep an eye on it but I get far better results with this than with a timer.
on 28 April 2008
This truly is the best egg timer you will ever find. One really good tip though is to let it cool down naturally and don't immerse it in cold water. I did this with my first one and it cracked.
on 21 September 2008
I bought this as my eggs in the past have been hit and miss and also out of curiosity and is works like a dream, I dont know how it does it as its only a chunk of something with no working parts or anything, but it seems to get the job done
on 7 February 2009
This item is a god-send. I've lost count of how many i have bought for friends and relatives.......
Just place this egg-shaped lump of plastic in the water with the eggs and it "cooks" at the same rate as the eggs do. The red display shrinks towards the middle at the same rate as the eggs cook from the shell in and when it reaches the mark that you require (soft, medium or hard) that is when to remove the eggs.
Perfect results are attained whether you boil from cold or add to boiling water.
A must buy!!
James
on 25 September 2008
I bought this timer a couple of months ago. In the last two weeks it has become totally unusable. We live in a hard water area. The effect of placing the timer in boiling water has been to discolour the plastic such that now I cant see eny of the marks. I've tried scrubbing it by that hasnt worked. My advice is is you live in a hard water area and dont have a water softner, by another type.
on 9 August 2008
This has to be the best egg timer I have ever had the pleasure of using!

Just pop it in the pan with your eggs, and regardless of the size of your eggs or the number of eggs you are cooking, each time they will come out perfect!

The only negative is that living in a very hard water area, the transparent plastic has quickly become quite cloudy, though despite this it is still easy to see the colour whilst in use.

A brilliant little cooking aid!
on 27 August 2012
Can't review this lowly enough, quite simply don't waste your money. Item doesn't change to red as advertised, impossible to read once water is bubbling, there's a horrid plastic smell and is only fit for the bin which is what happend to mine.
This is the second time i've reviewed this product, somehow the 1st review must have gotten lost as i've now been asked to review again. This I'm very happy about as I really don't like the fact that on my negative review earlier, I was emailed by the company and told that if I changed my negative review to a more positive one, they would gladly offer me a refund. I really don't like this kind of thing at all, I was very angry and this made me all the more determined to tell the truth to future buyers, therefore I'm quite happy to re submit my review. Bribes of offers of refunds in return for positive reviews should be stopped by Amazon, the seller can keep my money, I'd rather tell the truth about a product.

P.S. To the seller, you do NOT have my permission to contact me again.
VINE VOICEon 9 May 2008
I bought this for my other half as she was having problems and experiencing tremendous frustration when boiling eggs. This was one of those 'little' presents which turned out to be one of the best things I have bought for her.
Thanks to this strange little gizmo she is now an expert egg boiler. It is easy to use, easy to understand and helps to make a perfect boiled egg every time. If only everything was as simple as this.......

See one answered question