5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I've heard in the last 5 years
Published on 9 Oct. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a grower
If I had written this when I bought the CD I would have given it 5 stars. The Kings of Leon are certainly unique and are well worth a listen. But I'm not sure when this CD will find its way back into my player. There are some great tunes but a few too many weak ones for my liking and it is true that the vocals can be difficult.
But still worth a look.
Published on 24 Nov. 2003 by G. Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I've heard in the last 5 years, 9 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Youth & Young Manhood (Audio CD)
Being an older music fan (over 35 but only just) I usually have very conservative tastes but when my 15 year old son bought this album I immediately confiscated it and have been playing it ever since. I'm even accompanying him to their Birmingham gig in December. The sound is reminiscent of the 70s American rock I had played to me by my dad when I was growing up and so I felt immediately at home listening to this album. I can't say I have a favourite track as they are all equally excellent. I can't wait for the next album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brothers (& cousin) in Arms......., 24 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Youth & Young Manhood (Audio CD)
Brilliant. Truely is. I managed to get hold of the Holy Roller Novocaine E.P on initial release (after hearing Molly's Chambers on Rollingstone.com) and was blown away. I think California Waiting is bleeding gorgeous! HOWEVER, on the album -California waiting has been re-mastered and has lost some of its magic for me (track the e.p down its worth it)
Track for track, every song is really good (not a massive fan of Dusty - but still like it), Best tracks here are 'Joe's Head', 'California Waiting', 'Trani' & hidden track 'Talihina Sky'(also a b-side on single 'what i saw')......This album should be bought by everone.....& if you like this album: wait till you see them live!

5.0 out of 5 stars they've come a long way, 12 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Youth & Young Manhood (Audio CD)
I've been re-listening to this lately, a lot. While I love all their work (Aha Shake Heartbreak is a very underrated album) this album is the pick of the bunch in so many ways. It's so raw yet so visceral at the same time, repeated listening rewards with new discoveries.

Sure, their later stuff is great but I was a bit underwhelmed with 'Only by the night' - I just think they've lost something in bringing their sound so far, and in listening to this after their latest stuff the clarity of progression is huge. I guess they had to move on but maybe they lost something when they dropped the spit and sawdust rock for stadium filling anthems.

Buy this, it's a total classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Kings!, 22 May 2007
Uncle Bryn (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth & Young Manhood (Audio CD)
I heard two tracks from this album as I was walking through an HMV store, and it was so good I had to buy it there and then. And boy am I glad I did - Youth and Young Manhood is about as fine a debut album as I have ever heard.

It is a great mix of hard-rock meets Southern country, with a dash of boogie thrown in, to create a refreshing, unique sound.

Right from the opening riffs of "Red Morning Light" I was blown away by the energy and enthusiasm of the Followill clan. Full of catchy riffs, sharp solos and great drumming (with plenty of cowbell from Nathan!) - not to mention Caleb's trademark scratchy, twangy Southern vocals (admittedly almost indecipherable at times!) - this is a powerful statement of pure energy from a young and talented band who are saying out loud to the music world "The Kings are here - and you'd better believe it!"

What is also impressive is the consistency of the tracks. Now and then you come across an album where there's not a bad track to be found (eg. Gun's n' Roses "Appetite for Destruction" or Alanis Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill"). YAYM can certainly be added to the list. The opening track, "Red Morning Light" sets the tone for the rest of the album, with the pace and energy maintained through the next three tracks (check out the superb lyrics in "Joe's Head" and "Happy Alone"). "Trani" can be a hard track to like, what with Caleb's screaming and all, but it's a good contrast to the rest as the pace is slower and the feel is more moody. Solid tracks continue through to the end, stand-outs being "Spiral Staircase" (my favourite song on the album),"California Waiting" and "Genius".

And despite the reputation that they quickly gained as hard-drinking and hard-partying, their live performances are top-notch too. They obviously are committed enough to put every effort in to recreating their studio sound. And this they can certainly do.

If the KOL were hoping to impress with their first album, they certainly succeeded. This album is simply terrific. And due to the appeal that their sound has to so many people, they'll be around for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm gob-smacked!, 16 Sept. 2003
Rg Ellam "rob_ellam" (Northants) - See all my reviews
Oh... My.... God....
Where to start? Having only heard the single Molly's Chamber, I thought the Kings might be worth a look, how right I was!
This album is simply brilliant. There's a few albums in my collection that I know I'll still be listening to in 20 years time (OK Computer, Is This It?, BloodSugarSexMagik, White Blood Cells) and Youth and Young Manhood instantly became part of that list.
For me, the mark of a truly great album is one that you can listen to without wanting to skip any tracks. Ok so some tracks aren't quite as amazing as others, but then the highlights of the album are really sensational.
Red Morning Light, Molly's Chamber and Holy Roller Novocaine stand out above the rest, whilst Joe's Head, Wasted Time and the Strokes-esque California Waiting are all also brilliant.
The songs are just so incredibly catchy and I have to recommend getting hold of the lyrics. You'll sing yourself hoarse.
If you're a fan of the Strokes, the Hives, the White Stripes or any of the new breed of Rock and Roll bands, I defy you not to love this album.
Don't just sit there you fool, Buy It!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Kings, 20 Aug. 2003
J. W. Bassett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Not since 'Is This It' was released in 2001 has a debut album arrived to such a fanfare. By the time you read this, you'll already know that the Kings Of Leon consist of three brothers (who are the sons of a preacher man) and a cousin. You'll also know that they are incredibly young (the oldest member being just twenty-three) and they exhibit a nice line in beards. Underneath this needless info and the lashings of praise heaped upon it lays an aggressive, horny, energetic and dirty album from a band who appear to have the potential to be absolutely huge.
From the incredibly exciting opener 'Red Morning Light' with its "Hey hey, another dirty bird giving out a taste" chorus to the tale of depravity and debauchery that is 'Trani', this is a sleazy and largely unpleasant album, which makes it all the better. Should the listener be in any doubt as to this, they need only to listen to 'Joe's Head'; where the protagonist murders the guy who is sleeping with his wife. Then murders his wife. Then lights up a cigarette to honour the moment. All is clearly not well in the mind of Caleb Followill. In fact only Johnny Cash and Nick Cave have written about murder in such a celebratory way.
While it has drawn criticism from some quarters, lead singer Caleb's voice is a revelation. It has the scowl of Liam Gallagher at his peak and the shriek of Bon Scott. When he opens his throat and yells as he does most notable on 'Red Morning Light' and 'Genius', it seems as though the gates of Hell have opened. Then when the pace slows, he captures the listener like no one has done since Willie Nelson; listen to 'Trani' or 'Dusty' if you need proof.
Most of the criticism levelled at 'Youth and Young Manhood.' has suggested that it fails because it doesn't sound modern. Far from being a failure, this is the album's biggest triumph. If you want to hear what music should sound like today, go and pick up Dizzee Rascal's debut, an Aphex Twin LP or anything from the Def Jux label. Music in 2003 should be a series of mashed up beats and dextrous emceeing but like all the great guitar bands around today (The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Datsuns etc) the Kings of Leon take us back to simpler times; the bearded 60s (Lynyrd Skynrd and The Band spring to mind) and the drug crazed 70s and meld this history with an incredible sense of youth and, you guessed it, young manhood.
It's not hard to see why the Kings of Leon have excited the music world as they have. There are few bands who are able to write (and no doubt live) such hard-drinking, hard-rocking songs and sound exciting and boisterous rather than drunk and boastful. 'Youth and Young Manhood' leapfrogs 'Make Up The Breakdown', 'Keep On Your Mean Side' and 'Fever To Tell' to become the debut of the year so far and nestles just in behind 'Elephant' to become the second best album of the year overall, which can be hardly considered a failure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocking Debut Album, 18 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Youth & Young Manhood (Audio CD)
I bought this album on hearing only one of The Kings of Leon's songs - Red Morning Light. What a buy! Not only was this song brilliant (the opening song to the album, luckily), but as I continued to listen, I liked the album more and more.
Never have I heard 12 (including the hidden track) more bluesy rock songs so brilliantly sung, with such raw talent, on a debut album.
The songs on the album range from upbeat-rocky ones, that make you want to dance like Mick Jagger and play air guitar, to some more soulful ones, that make you want to sit back relax and enjoy the soulful rock tunes that have been created by these new Gods of Music.
An album that will surely go down in history as one of the greatest debut albums ever, listened to, by people who truly love music.
Can't wait for the next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album in the last 10 years, 25 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Youth & Young Manhood (Audio CD)
When Q magazine asked Noel gallager what band he was looking out for at T in the park years ago he said, "kings of leon, They are my new favourite band". I imediately bought the album when it came out (alongside the darkness's permission to land....cough) He wasn't wrong. Youth and young manhood was blindingly brilliant.

Lyiricaly the songs are brilliantly smutty yet you really have to be looking for the sexual reference. Thats really what the album is about. Being young and desperate to have it off with ladies.

But musicaly "Molly's chamber, wasted time and Holy roller novacaine" are simpy outstanding! There is not a bad song on this album I know people say that a lot but i can't stress this enough its faultless. The muffled overexited rambings of caleb singing is sometimes difficult to understand but i think that adds to the fun...."What did he just say?" ect. But "Joe's head".....WHAT a song oh dear....Oh its just an amazing piece of work musically and lirically its so vivid and a great story.

So yeah they do take a wee bit of influnce from the Eagles, zepplin and CCR it can't be denyed that when YAYM goes into the stereo you it sounds like it should be on vinal.

The fact that they are so fantastically wierd and completley Nuts makes this a real masterpiece. I really don't think an album since has come close since.

LONG LIVE THE KINGS.!!

5.0 out of 5 stars well...what can i say?......just 'abit' good, 28 Dec. 2003
katherine Smith (a wheelybin, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth & Young Manhood (Audio CD)
well youth and young manhood has to be one of the best. its got style and originality and it comes with alot of facial hair and guitar playing like you've never heard before, never mind the vocals. Unlike many other indie rock bands, kings of Leon's songs are all different but the style still remains. some of the best songs are 'red morning light', 'mollys chambers' and 'joe's head', all masterpieces, keeping to the kings of leon trademark. along with the quick, quirky records there are a few ballads like 'dusty', all classics. i can see kings of leon going along way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Solid, 4 Aug. 2003
By A Customer
Although wary of anything so ludicrously overhyped, it has to be said that this is an uncommonly brilliant debut. Arresting in a way that so few albums are, this one immediately sucks you in with its no-frills dirty rock. Most surprising for me was Caleb Followill's vocal, whose charismatic growl belies his youth and confers a huge dose of moody cool to the whole album. Red Morning Light is a tremendous opening track, but the whole thing doesn't let up all the way to Novocaine Holy Roller - there is no filler here. Compulsively cool and hugely enjoyable.

Youth & Young Manhood
Youth & Young Manhood by Kings of Leon (Audio CD - 2003)