5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I've heard in the last 5 years
Published on 9 Oct 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a grower
If I had written this when I bought the CD I would have given it 5 stars. The Kings of Leon are certainly unique and are well worth a listen. But I'm not sure when this CD will find its way back into my player. There are some great tunes but a few too many weak ones for my liking and it is true that the vocals can be difficult.
But still worth a look.
Published on 24 Nov 2003 by G. Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I've heard in the last 5 years, 9 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
Being an older music fan (over 35 but only just) I usually have very conservative tastes but when my 15 year old son bought this album I immediately confiscated it and have been playing it ever since. I'm even accompanying him to their Birmingham gig in December. The sound is reminiscent of the 70s American rock I had played to me by my dad when I was growing up and so I felt immediately at home listening to this album. I can't say I have a favourite track as they are all equally excellent. I can't wait for the next album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brothers (& cousin) in Arms......., 24 Oct 2003
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
Brilliant. Truely is. I managed to get hold of the Holy Roller Novocaine E.P on initial release (after hearing Molly's Chambers on Rollingstone.com) and was blown away. I think California Waiting is bleeding gorgeous! HOWEVER, on the album -California waiting has been re-mastered and has lost some of its magic for me (track the e.p down its worth it)
Track for track, every song is really good (not a massive fan of Dusty - but still like it), Best tracks here are 'Joe's Head', 'California Waiting', 'Trani' & hidden track 'Talihina Sky'(also a b-side on single 'what i saw')......This album should be bought by everone.....& if you like this album: wait till you see them live!

5.0 out of 5 stars they've come a long way, 12 Dec 2008
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
I've been re-listening to this lately, a lot. While I love all their work (Aha Shake Heartbreak is a very underrated album) this album is the pick of the bunch in so many ways. It's so raw yet so visceral at the same time, repeated listening rewards with new discoveries.

Sure, their later stuff is great but I was a bit underwhelmed with 'Only by the night' - I just think they've lost something in bringing their sound so far, and in listening to this after their latest stuff the clarity of progression is huge. I guess they had to move on but maybe they lost something when they dropped the spit and sawdust rock for stadium filling anthems.

Buy this, it's a total classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocking Debut Album, 18 Sep 2003
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
I bought this album on hearing only one of The Kings of Leon's songs - Red Morning Light. What a buy! Not only was this song brilliant (the opening song to the album, luckily), but as I continued to listen, I liked the album more and more.
Never have I heard 12 (including the hidden track) more bluesy rock songs so brilliantly sung, with such raw talent, on a debut album.
The songs on the album range from upbeat-rocky ones, that make you want to dance like Mick Jagger and play air guitar, to some more soulful ones, that make you want to sit back relax and enjoy the soulful rock tunes that have been created by these new Gods of Music.
An album that will surely go down in history as one of the greatest debut albums ever, listened to, by people who truly love music.
Can't wait for the next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Kings!, 22 May 2007
Uncle Bryn (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
I heard two tracks from this album as I was walking through an HMV store, and it was so good I had to buy it there and then. And boy am I glad I did - Youth and Young Manhood is about as fine a debut album as I have ever heard.

It is a great mix of hard-rock meets Southern country, with a dash of boogie thrown in, to create a refreshing, unique sound.

Right from the opening riffs of "Red Morning Light" I was blown away by the energy and enthusiasm of the Followill clan. Full of catchy riffs, sharp solos and great drumming (with plenty of cowbell from Nathan!) - not to mention Caleb's trademark scratchy, twangy Southern vocals (admittedly almost indecipherable at times!) - this is a powerful statement of pure energy from a young and talented band who are saying out loud to the music world "The Kings are here - and you'd better believe it!"

What is also impressive is the consistency of the tracks. Now and then you come across an album where there's not a bad track to be found (eg. Gun's n' Roses "Appetite for Destruction" or Alanis Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill"). YAYM can certainly be added to the list. The opening track, "Red Morning Light" sets the tone for the rest of the album, with the pace and energy maintained through the next three tracks (check out the superb lyrics in "Joe's Head" and "Happy Alone"). "Trani" can be a hard track to like, what with Caleb's screaming and all, but it's a good contrast to the rest as the pace is slower and the feel is more moody. Solid tracks continue through to the end, stand-outs being "Spiral Staircase" (my favourite song on the album),"California Waiting" and "Genius".

And despite the reputation that they quickly gained as hard-drinking and hard-partying, their live performances are top-notch too. They obviously are committed enough to put every effort in to recreating their studio sound. And this they can certainly do.

If the KOL were hoping to impress with their first album, they certainly succeeded. This album is simply terrific. And due to the appeal that their sound has to so many people, they'll be around for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm gob-smacked!, 16 Sep 2003
Rg Ellam "rob_ellam" (Northants) - See all my reviews
Oh... My.... God....
Where to start? Having only heard the single Molly's Chamber, I thought the Kings might be worth a look, how right I was!
This album is simply brilliant. There's a few albums in my collection that I know I'll still be listening to in 20 years time (OK Computer, Is This It?, BloodSugarSexMagik, White Blood Cells) and Youth and Young Manhood instantly became part of that list.
For me, the mark of a truly great album is one that you can listen to without wanting to skip any tracks. Ok so some tracks aren't quite as amazing as others, but then the highlights of the album are really sensational.
Red Morning Light, Molly's Chamber and Holy Roller Novocaine stand out above the rest, whilst Joe's Head, Wasted Time and the Strokes-esque California Waiting are all also brilliant.
The songs are just so incredibly catchy and I have to recommend getting hold of the lyrics. You'll sing yourself hoarse.
If you're a fan of the Strokes, the Hives, the White Stripes or any of the new breed of Rock and Roll bands, I defy you not to love this album.
Don't just sit there you fool, Buy It!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year, 9 July 2003
GP (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After the recent 'What I Saw' E.P. featuring the awesome Red Morning Light, I was expecting something special from this album and it doesn't disappoint.
Youth & Young Manhood wears its Retro influences on its sleeve - Bob Dylan, Lynyrd Skynrd, The Stones, Zeppelin, even a touch of Tom Petty - but, like The White Stripes and Strokes before them, Kings of Leon take these influences and make something that sounds new, fresh and exciting.
Dirty vocals, great riffs, simple yet powerful drums combine to stunning effect.
Best new band of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stuff, 26 Aug 2007
S. Bradnam (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
I love it...not in an instant, first hearing way, but in a play it a few times and watch the sensation of "This is REALLY good" creep up on you.....I have been re-listening to this lately, and it is ageing well!
Basic, clever, loud, furious and masterful. Highly recommended - one of my top 20 albums. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best debuts of the 21st century, 4 Oct 2006
O. J. Cook - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
Its not often that a CD has me bouncing and headbanging across the room like i've been on extra sugared Coca-cola for a month, but this one really did. The album's filled with an energy most bands could never beat. Favourite tracks are the 1st four (namely 'Red morning light', 'happy alone', 'wasted time', and 'joe's head'). And talk about distinctive vocals!

This is one album i'll be keeping close for the rest of uni life.

5.0 out of 5 stars well...what can i say?......just 'abit' good, 28 Dec 2003
katherine Smith (a wheelybin, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth And Young Manhood (Audio CD)
well youth and young manhood has to be one of the best. its got style and originality and it comes with alot of facial hair and guitar playing like you've never heard before, never mind the vocals. Unlike many other indie rock bands, kings of Leon's songs are all different but the style still remains. some of the best songs are 'red morning light', 'mollys chambers' and 'joe's head', all masterpieces, keeping to the kings of leon trademark. along with the quick, quirky records there are a few ballads like 'dusty', all classics. i can see kings of leon going along way.

ARRAY(0xaf5d00a8)

Youth And Young Manhood
Youth And Young Manhood by Kings of Leon (Audio CD - 2003)