Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 May 2012
There are a great many bargains to be had by buying back catalogue recordings but often they involve a compromise on sound quality. This version of Figaro however sounded very good indeed considering its age, but there was a compromise to be made as the recording lacks a libretto and even the synopsis was in my view inadequate, not a problem for me as I know this opera inside out but I wouldn't recommend this CD to any opera novices seduced by the low price.

I was delighted to discover such a good quality recording of Geraint Evans in the title role as he was the first Figaro I saw back in the early 70's and he was considered by most to be the definitive interpreter of the role at that time. This recording was made just a few years later and he still sounds pretty good as does the rest of the cast with a wonderful Cherubino from Teresa Berganza and a very good Countess from Heather Harper, though I thought Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau lacked drama as the Count. Daniel Barenboim conducts and as usual in his opera recordings he springs no unwanted surprises with eccentric tempi.

Frankly I loved this CD with such wonderful voices from the past all on good form, even taking into consideration the lack of libretto and the fact that it is getting on for forty years old it remains a recording to reckon with.
on 13 December 2013
At a bargain price, not exactly the Met's (superb) version and missing valuable recits and 'goodies' - libretto, cast/orch additional details but still listenable on long car journeys. Personally, I don't mind Barenboim's more leisurely pace but I know that many others find his treatment irritating.
on 18 January 2016
beautiful
on 28 May 2012
Brilliant. great singers great orchestra under the baton of a great conductor plus a story which work dramatically and characters and drama brought to life by the brilliant wolfie