5.0 out of 5 stars Carve Her Name With Pride
Totally fascinated with this true story. Visited the museum in Hereford, have already read the book and it was wonderful to be able to get the film on dvd.

You will not be disappointed.
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Millie

3.0 out of 5 stars scene cut
I'm sure they cut some of the scenes in this film where the Germans tortured her
so I rate this film a 3 star rating,
Published 7 months ago by E A King

5.0 out of 5 stars Carve Her Name With Pride, 29 Jun 2011

You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very brave young woman in WW2, 1 Feb 2009
Trish. NIBLOCK (Edinburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
I had heard of the Violette Szabo and meant to read about her for years.
This year I bought both the book Carve her Name with Pride and the dvd. I have not been able to get her story out of my head ever since. I wonder how anybody can have been so brave. How a young girl could volunteer to be parachuted or be landed by plane in occupied France knowing how the Germans were likely to treat them when and if they were captured.......is supreme courage.

The dvd is excellent as is the book. It is based on fact which makes it serious reading. There were many other young people who did what she did and I have a great admiration for them all. Thank goodness there are books to read and dvd's for the next generation to see so that they are not forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for everyone, 11 May 2009
G. D. Matthews "DVD/Bookwom" (Piraeus - Greece) - See all my reviews
For me this is one of the very best "True War" Stories.
It proves that the women of the Second World War did more than sit at home knitting glove.balalavas and socks as so many people thought.

BE WARNED - before viewing make sure you have a box of tissues handy.
It is a real "weepy" movie but at the same time it fills you with pride
especially if you are a British woman. I am proud just to own this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Szabo, 1 Jan 2012
George Penman (Arbroath, Angus United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Got the book written by her daughter Tanya & actually spoke with her so had to get the film too for my wifes Christmas as her dad had flown many missions dropping SOE operatives including Violet into France

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional history of brave women, 14 Oct 2013
robert stirling (tarn,s.w.france) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It is my take that this is based on not one but many true stories.

Violette Szabo is the subject of the story but apart from some personal details of her life shown in the film she could be any one of hundreds of women who volunteered to work for the Allies during WW2 and who were parachuted into Europe by the British S.O.E. and American O.S.S.

The training ,as anyone who has had to endure a Special Forces regime knows, is brutal,gruelling and intense both physically and mentally and will break any ordinairy person.

If anything Lewis Gilbert uses this segment of the film to show some 'lightness' in Vi Szabo's journey to her ultimate sacrifice.

Throughly compelling viewing,with a stand-out performance by Virginia McKenna as the doomed agent,and superb support from the great Paul Schofield and pre-Dixon of Dock Green Jack Warner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top British war film- one for the ladies, 8 Jan 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
There were a glut of these films in the 1950s. The memoirs were coming out and they were selling well. after all we had won the war. People now wanted uplifting films depicting ordinary people doing their bit.

They could be regarded as sentimental and unrealistic with posh actresses like Virginia McKenna playing working class girls who worked in Woolworth's marrying a Frenchman then volunteering to do her bit for the war effort. She loses her husband but has a daughter to bring up.

As an aside Woolworth's failed in the last few days but int he film it is shown as flourishing and she had to be careful that the supervisor did not catch her not working. It obviously didn't work s now it has gone bust.

It is in the same vein as Town Like Alice where ordinary British girls do their best against appalling odds. Another reviewer commented that Round the Horne used to parody these films which was true. At the time it was what people wanted to show how we all pulled together and bear the enemy against appalling odds.

People who lived in ordinary streets in London risked their lives by being dripped into occupied Europe. When I was younger I used to go to the pictures to watch these films and rarely did they feature women. It was usually Douglas Bader or chaps planing to escape from prisoner of war camps.

Perhaps they should show it to people today who claim that women should not being the front line. It could be a feminist tract for the promotion of equality of women.

All films are Dirty dozen you have the training phase whereby you meet the characters so that you know them all and you can identify with them. They then go into battle and the mission succeeds but has problems and maybe a few come home. Unfortunately Violette Szabo didn't come home

She could not tell her parents what she was doing and her dad Jack Warner found her wings and realised that she was not serving tea and driving lorries. That scene could make you cry as Dad and daughter were reconciled

Trivia

Michael Caine appears briefly as one of the prisoners on the train. As Violette starts to escape he leans forwards and calls out for water.

The code-poem used in the film was the real code poem used by Violette Szabo while she was sending messages back from occupied France. The poem was written by 'Leo Marks' who was a cryptographer for SOE and often used poems like this for agents to use.

The life that I have is all that I have, The life that I have is yours.

The love that I have of the life that I have Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have, A rest I shall have Yet death will be but a pause.

For the peace of my years In the long green grass Will be yours and yours and yours

Another reviewer said they found the film slow and boring and I can see what they mean as the story unfolds and is quite wordy. After she is captured there is a bit of action but it is mainly chat and we get to the moving sight of her daughter receiving a medal from the King.

It is worth persevering with as it is a great war film and is amongst the British top 100 war films.

A must see film.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOREVER WARTIME STORY, 23 Sep 2012
Carve Her Name With Pride is one of the finest World War II movies ever made, particularly poignant because it is a true story. It is about a young British woman who infiltrates Nazi lines when working with the French Resistance. The movie brings starkly to life the terrifying dangers she faced, the Frenchman she loved and married and the child they shared until his death. Her extraordinary courage, brought so brilliantly to life by Virginia McKenna, remains with me and, I think, should be an example to everyone. Be prepared - this movie will stay with you forever.

Christina

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Dec 2009
I'm a bit of a war movie buff, but this is one of those films that isn't often mentioned in the lists of Great War Movies. It should be! This film is brilliant and the tone is just right. There's enough war scenes to make it feel like a real war movie i.e. Lots of faceless Nazis dying but it also struck the right balance by making us care deeply for Violette and her actions and courage.
This film did make me cry, the title is very evocative and I think today when perhaps WW2 is becoming increasingly forgotten, its necessary for us to remember those who made the ultimate sacrafice. Those who gave their lives to protect their families and us as a nation should not be forgotten and we should be proud of them.

That didn't mean to come off as a jingositc review but it kind of did. My apologies. Buy this movies!

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad, 2 April 2013
Sad but beautiful and well worth watching. An excellent permformance by Virginia McKenna. A classic movie that everyone should see.

3.0 out of 5 stars scene cut, 23 May 2014