on 29 June 2011
Totally fascinated with this true story. Visited the museum in Hereford, have already read the book and it was wonderful to be able to get the film on dvd.

You will not be disappointed.
on 1 February 2009
I had heard of the Violette Szabo and meant to read about her for years.
This year I bought both the book Carve her Name with Pride and the dvd. I have not been able to get her story out of my head ever since. I wonder how anybody can have been so brave. How a young girl could volunteer to be parachuted or be landed by plane in occupied France knowing how the Germans were likely to treat them when and if they were supreme courage.

The dvd is excellent as is the book. It is based on fact which makes it serious reading. There were many other young people who did what she did and I have a great admiration for them all. Thank goodness there are books to read and dvd's for the next generation to see so that they are not forgotten.
on 11 May 2009
For me this is one of the very best "True War" Stories.
It proves that the women of the Second World War did more than sit at home knitting glove.balalavas and socks as so many people thought.

BE WARNED - before viewing make sure you have a box of tissues handy.
It is a real "weepy" movie but at the same time it fills you with pride
especially if you are a British woman. I am proud just to own this DVD.
on 2 December 2009
I'm a bit of a war movie buff, but this is one of those films that isn't often mentioned in the lists of Great War Movies. It should be! This film is brilliant and the tone is just right. There's enough war scenes to make it feel like a real war movie i.e. Lots of faceless Nazis dying but it also struck the right balance by making us care deeply for Violette and her actions and courage.
This film did make me cry, the title is very evocative and I think today when perhaps WW2 is becoming increasingly forgotten, its necessary for us to remember those who made the ultimate sacrafice. Those who gave their lives to protect their families and us as a nation should not be forgotten and we should be proud of them.

That didn't mean to come off as a jingositc review but it kind of did. My apologies. Buy this movies!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2012
Got the book written by her daughter Tanya & actually spoke with her so had to get the film too for my wifes Christmas as her dad had flown many missions dropping SOE operatives including Violet into France
on 23 September 2012
Carve Her Name With Pride is one of the finest World War II movies ever made, particularly poignant because it is a true story. It is about a young British woman who infiltrates Nazi lines when working with the French Resistance. The movie brings starkly to life the terrifying dangers she faced, the Frenchman she loved and married and the child they shared until his death. Her extraordinary courage, brought so brilliantly to life by Virginia McKenna, remains with me and, I think, should be an example to everyone. Be prepared - this movie will stay with you forever.

on 2 April 2013
Sad but beautiful and well worth watching. An excellent permformance by Virginia McKenna. A classic movie that everyone should see.
VINE VOICEon 8 January 2009
There were a glut of these films in the 1950s. The memoirs were coming out and they were selling well. after all we had won the war. People now wanted uplifting films depicting ordinary people doing their bit.

They could be regarded as sentimental and unrealistic with posh actresses like Virginia McKenna playing working class girls who worked in Woolworth's marrying a Frenchman then volunteering to do her bit for the war effort. She loses her husband but has a daughter to bring up.

As an aside Woolworth's failed in the last few days but int he film it is shown as flourishing and she had to be careful that the supervisor did not catch her not working. It obviously didn't work s now it has gone bust.

It is in the same vein as Town Like Alice where ordinary British girls do their best against appalling odds. Another reviewer commented that Round the Horne used to parody these films which was true. At the time it was what people wanted to show how we all pulled together and bear the enemy against appalling odds.

People who lived in ordinary streets in London risked their lives by being dripped into occupied Europe. When I was younger I used to go to the pictures to watch these films and rarely did they feature women. It was usually Douglas Bader or chaps planing to escape from prisoner of war camps.

Perhaps they should show it to people today who claim that women should not being the front line. It could be a feminist tract for the promotion of equality of women.

All films are Dirty dozen you have the training phase whereby you meet the characters so that you know them all and you can identify with them. They then go into battle and the mission succeeds but has problems and maybe a few come home. Unfortunately Violette Szabo didn't come home

She could not tell her parents what she was doing and her dad Jack Warner found her wings and realised that she was not serving tea and driving lorries. That scene could make you cry as Dad and daughter were reconciled

Michael Caine appears briefly as one of the prisoners on the train. As Violette starts to escape he leans forwards and calls out for water.

The code-poem used in the film was the real code poem used by Violette Szabo while she was sending messages back from occupied France. The poem was written by 'Leo Marks' who was a cryptographer for SOE and often used poems like this for agents to use.

The life that I have is all that I have, The life that I have is yours.

The love that I have of the life that I have Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have, A rest I shall have Yet death will be but a pause.

For the peace of my years In the long green grass Will be yours and yours and yours

Another reviewer said they found the film slow and boring and I can see what they mean as the story unfolds and is quite wordy. After she is captured there is a bit of action but it is mainly chat and we get to the moving sight of her daughter receiving a medal from the King.

It is worth persevering with as it is a great war film and is amongst the British top 100 war films.

A must see film.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 November 2015
Starting in 1940 the film follows Londoner, Violette Bushell as she meets and marries her French husband Etienne Szabo. After his death she is invited to join the SOE where her French language skills would be useful. Her mother was also French so Violette had grown up bi-lingual. There is a lot of humour in this first part of the film both when following her courtship with Etienne and then her training for special ops. Naturally, things take a more serious turn when she is flown into France for her first mission and escalate further on her second.

Made in 1958 the costumes do look more 50s than 40s but that is a minor quibble. The spirit of the period is well drawn in the family scenes as well as the action ones. It would have been difficult in that time to show the full graphic horror of what Violette endures in France. The camera work is adept as building the suspense showing the approach of danger before veering away to allow sound and your imagination to fill in the blanks. The effects are convincingly portrayed by lead actress Virginia McKenna. The poignant ending had me welling up.

An excellent film portraying the real wartime experiences of a heroic woman.
on 2 January 2013
A wonderful story which doesn't quite capture the real events but absolutely encompasses the unbelievable bravery of a young mother. Why did people like this have to die? The world would have been a better place with them in it.