on 13 February 2009
Sonnet Technology FireWire 800 to 400 Adapter

What a wonderful little gadget! I upgraded from my Powerbook to a MacBook Pro and needed the old 400 Firewire access for my Ist Gen iPod (yes, honestly). I pondered buying yet another cable (how many different ones do you have), when I came across this little beauty. Simple, easily storable, and does exactly what I want. A wonderful product.
on 4 July 2009
This is a simple device you just plug one end onto your existing firewire 400 lead and then plug the other end into you firewire 800 socket on your device, no software needed. I used it to transfer data from my old imac which had only firewire 400 ports to my new mac pro which had only firewire 800 ports. A firewire 400 lead is needed.
on 11 April 2009
The adapter does what it says on the tin, adapts a firewire 400 male to a firewire 800 female. Perfect for the new macbook pro's which only have an 800 port.

Downside? It doesn't fit the macbook port in a snug enough way to stop it being knocked out. Now whether the 800 ports don't have a way to hold them in (the 400 has a bobble on the male end and a dip on the female for s secure connection) or the adaptor is just slightly too small on the male end I don't know.

Personally, next time I will buy a 400 to 800 cable instead. The male 800 may well be better constructed and fit more tightly.
on 15 July 2009
This item should be given with any Macbook Pro with Firewire 800 since it is not yet wide spread and people own various Firewire 400 items. Apple should give it away in order to guarantee retro compatibility.
It is incredibly small but efficient and eliminates several hassles.
I definetly I suggest it.
on 17 February 2010
The Sonnet Firewire adaptor did what it claimed to do at a reasonably low price. I have connected my iMac to all my Firewire 400 devices without a problem. However, the Sonnet is relatively long and narrow and needs to be watched as it can be pulled out of the computer over time.
on 11 January 2010
If standardisation is too difficult for the IT industry we'll have to use these expensive little add-ons. This one does its job for a camera and a laptop so I coughed up grudgingly. Happy that the wobbly connection others have mentioned is not a problem yet.
on 11 December 2009
This allowed me to connect my 23" Cinema Display to the Firewire 800 port on my new Mac Pro, enabling me to continue using the Firewire 400 ports on the back of my Cinema Display (which means I don't need to buy an adaptor or cable for all of my Firewire 400 devices. The adaptor is very small, so it takes up very little space and works beautifully. And for the price, it's much cheaper than buying the 400 to 800 adaptor cables that Apple offers. Highly recommended!
on 25 May 2009
This adapter does what you expect it to, it will invisibility fit onto your computer and you'll forget its there. I got it for my new MacBook Pro, I have an audio I/O device that connects via firewire 400 which the new MacBook doesn't have a slot for, but with this little adapter I can use my device. Now I'm happy.
on 5 September 2009
A great little connector that solves Apples problems for them (us). Cool design which works well. I agree with other comments in that if you have a laptop, a 400 to 800 cable may be a better solution as the bulk of this connector makes it vulnerable to being knocked out.
on 11 June 2010
With so many of today's devices doing away with Firewire 400, especially the latest Apple designed ones, this product has allowed me to maintain the use of devices I purchased years ago and still use them today!

Highly recommended!!