5.0 out of 5 stars The most accomplished Catholics album to date.
Published on 11 Oct. 2003 by Hairy_yan

3.0 out of 5 stars Grow me your Tears
Published on 10 Oct. 2003 by u123072

5.0 out of 5 stars The most accomplished Catholics album to date., 11 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
I recently went to see Frank Black and the Catholics on their 2003 UK run to promote Show Me Your Tears. It was, as you would expect a fantastic show. However one thing kept bugging me. The audience took it upon themselves to chant at regular intervals "Monkey! Play Monkey!" This was taken up by the bulk of the people at the venue. As was their insistence on only cheering the Pixies songs he played, even ignoring Headache, Robert Onion and I love Your Brain. The band seemed to get a bit pissed off and I was glad when they didn't play Monkey Gone To Heaven. Because that is not the point of going to see Frank Black and the Catholics.
And that leads me to this album. I think that it has the widest variety and most complex songwriting of all the Catholics albums. It is genuinely moving and the lyrics have much more personal edge to them. I think there are some truly excellent songs on the album and some genuinely catchy ones (perhaps what was missing from Devil's Workshop).
However this is not The Pixies. It isn't Frank Black solo artist. The name on the box is very clear: Frank Black and the Catholics. They are a seperate band. They are not trying to reproduce Pixies music or Teenager of the Year. They are trying to make new and relevant music. They succeed on every level.
It seems to me in both the live show and in general, people see the name Frank Black and their brain shuts down mumbling something about how they love Doolittle. Doolittle etc were the products of another band 15 years ago. Get over it!
So I reccomend this to people who are fans of Frank Black and the Catholics and say to those who want a Frank Black album then try Teenager of the Year or his self titled solo album. If you are after The Pixies then they have an extensively available back catalogue.
I say roll on 2004 and another Catholics album and hopefully another UK tour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too Black, 21 Sept. 2003
J. Cronin "dudara" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
Frank Black returns with "Show Me Your Tears", his first since the break up of his marriage, and it's a bit of a mixed bag, in a good way. The song "Nadine" is excellent, in a real dark way and has a definite Pixies vibe about it. Other songs in this vein include "massif central".
There are a lot of songs on this album however, that also remind me of his earlier album "Dog in the Sand". He has the country/steel guitar sound still going on, but with his excellent voice it works well. I never fail to be impressed by the melodity of his voice, and songs on this album showcase it well, especially "Goodbye Lorraine" and "My Favourite Kiss".
This isn't an album for people looking for Pixies songs, however, it is full of soulful, melodic songs that are written by a great man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Show me your sweat, 14 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
If you get the chance to see Frank Black and the Catholics on their current tour (ongoing in the UK Oct 2003) then don’t pass it up. I’ve just seen them perform a sweaty but excellent set made up of about half this album, and some other stuff, including the inevitable Pixies tunes. Absolutely brilliant.
The album is definitely worth buying. I’m not familiar with any of his other solo stuff, but I really enjoyed this album. It features a pedal steel guitar player and has something of a country theme to it. There are a few moments when it leans towards Bossanova era Pixies, but for most of the time it is less surreal yet darker. Mr Black is clearly not a happy man at the moment; bad news for him, but good news for us because the angst is producing some great music. At certain points on the album I was reminded of Lou Reed, and at others of Leonard Cohen. Probably not a good album to buy if all you like is the pixies, but FB and the C’s still rock.
The lyrics are quite simplistic, and at first I felt they were too much so, but after more listens I found this album really grew on me. I read an interview with FB where he was banging on about various musical heroes of his (I forget who) and how they managed to sing very simple almost clichéd lines, but make them sound really cool, and I think this is what he was aiming at a lot of the time on the album. The general theme is that he is depressed because his girlfriend has left him etc.
The band are great, and the fact that the album was recorded straight to two track, essentially live, is a real plus in my opinion. Best tracks are : When will happiness find me again? Maintoba, This old heartache, my favorite kiss and new house of the Pope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer songs, and soul to spare, 6 Dec. 2003
M. Potter "mattpotter4" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
Oh my God! This album's just grabbed me by the throat and shaken me into a gibbering, giggling, play-it-again, dancing-around-the-living-room wreck! I never really knew any Frank Black, and I only have one Pixies Greatest Hits, so I'm not hung up on what this album 'should be' or any of that BS. It was given to me, and I had no great expectations, stuck it on and WHAT THE...?! This is fantastic! 'Massif Central' is angular and spooked, while pulling off the neat trick of being genuinely moving at the same time. 'New House of the Pope' is a fine, snake-eyed blues, 'Everything Is New' feels like waking up on a bright, fresh morning. 'The Snake' is all Beefheart sax and breakneck guitar... the list goes on, from slide-driven reptile-rock to beautiful, almost David Lynchian ballads. And the lyrics are raw, naked, genius. Black has nothing to fear if he can put down an album like this - smoky and intimate one minute, goggle-eyed and gonzoid the next, and all the time full to bursting with soul, invention and sheer love of life in spite of everything it can chuck at you. I'm now gonna buy the back catalogue. It's been a few weeks now since I first played this, and I still can't get this damn grin off my face. Play it again...

4.0 out of 5 stars Every cloud has a silver lining, 16 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
Charles wrote this after one of his divorces and the emotion comes through well, as well as some dark humour. Thank goodness for emotional pain; without it we would be deprived of great art. There are a few excellent songs and a few dogs as usual for one of his albums. When he writes poor songs they miss the mark (IMO) by some distance but his great songs are better than anyone else can write which is why he is so special. Like other reviewers I think new listeners would be advised to go for alternatives. personally I would direct you to Black Letter Days which is on a par, in terms of its excellence with Doolittle though utterly different in style.

3.0 out of 5 stars Grow me your Tears, 10 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
After a couple of weeks listening to this I think this record can be called a grower. My first impressions were "oh dear, what a disappointment" - especially given the recent highs of "Black Letter Days" and "Devil's Workshop". However, being a loyal fan (and not wanting to have wasted my money) I persevered and now I am quite getting to like it. Some records strike you as excellent straight away - but not this one - it needs working at!
Best track - Everthing is New

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent 3rd offering in a year from living legend., 10 Sept. 2003
Man in uniform - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
This must be a worthwhile album. I have listened to it over 10 times since Monday (it's now 7am Wednesday), and there are some real gems on this album, some of the best songs he has ever written-Coastline especially. However, some of this is a touch too country-by-numbers for some, and whilst I still enjoy these romps (Goodbye Lorraine, for example) I have come to expect something otherworldly, something entirely unique, from Frank Black. Obviously then, this is not a bad thing; I have only given the album four stars because I know what he is capable of.
This is a great album, though I would not recommend it to first time Frank Black buyers-go back to 2001's Dog in the Sand to acclimatise to this new direction. Overall? Good stuff Frank, stay individual.

5.0 out of 5 stars The King of Alternative Rock Does it Again, 12 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
Another fantastic album from Frank Black, it seems that he is incapable of writing a bad one. The album is as you'd expect a rather strange affair, with rock songs (Nadine, Massif Centrale), country (My Favourite Kiss, Goodbye Lorraine) and the likes of When Will Happiness Find Me Again, which can only be described as reminiscent of The Pogues. If your looking for an album of Pixies-like songs, then you'll be looking for a long time, but if you want a great album of sad songs, then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Record, 16 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
Went to see him live wanting to hear Pixies stuff. Was more impressed by the stuff off this record than any of the pixies songs he played...

2.0 out of 5 stars Frankly disappointing, 28 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
'Show Me Your Tears' unfortunately continues the slide in quality since 'Teenager of the Year', a slide which was only briefly arrested by 'Dog in the Sand'. Where once catchy hooks abounded and quirky arrangements astounded, Frank's latest offering is merely pedestrian. You could usually count on at least 3 excellent songs per album (and far, far more on the first two) but, try as hard as I might, have found nothing here that comes close to past glories (and I don't mean Pixies). I'm sorry to say, but the man sounds tired and the band uninspired. 'Show Me Your Tears' focuses purely on a pretty unimaginative blend of Americana - but that's a genre best left to deeper and darker spirits. I personally yearn for a return to the musical freedoms of the sci-fi garage of his early solo output - that's where his genius lay, hopefully one day to return.

Show Me Your Tears
Show Me Your Tears by Frank Black (Audio CD)