5.0 out of 5 stars Will be a classic, own it before everyone else does..
Published on 30 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album spoiled by additional tracks!
I really enjoyed the original version of this album and wanted it on CD, hence my purchase of this. I really dislike the additional track added to the first CD - wish I could delete it - and I won't be listening to the second CD a second time! A shame I had to buy all the extra stuff I really don't like. All the original tracks of this title are still great, of course.
Published on 22 Dec 2009 by JocelynB

5.0 out of 5 stars Will be a classic, own it before everyone else does.., 30 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
I am stunned that I have to wait for a re-issue, and that this title has not become a classic. Perhaps I should be pleased that there's at least one album in my mental collection which no one else appears to remember - and I would be if my ("borrowed") cassette copy hadn't been recently eaten. Bluesy, raw - some tracks warm and welcoming, others disturbing, but worth every penny for the voice and the harmonica solo alone....

5.0 out of 5 stars Where do you go...when there ain't no justice?, 3 Jun 2007
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
Michelle Shocked has a tremendous talent. Thankfully, it is hard to categorize in a word or two. Her ability to stretch the boundaries between musical genres (folk, swing, rock, bluegrass) did not sit well with her one-time record company. After a handful of recordings, Shocked's label dropped her due to 'artistic incongruity' or some such nonsense. She hit them back with a lawsuit citing conditions of involuntary servitude. This disrupted her recordings being released for awhile. In the end we all lost, in a way, because such an episode disturbs the natural flow of a career, and interrupts the artistic process. Recordings become harder to find, the relationship between artist and audience is thwarted. Such is life, sometimes.

Short, Sharp, Shocked (1986) was the first of a trilogy of albums recorded for Mercury/Polygram. If Shocked were ever to fit into the quasi-structural mold of singer-songwriter, it would have been with this release. Her folk-pop roots shine in autobiographical songs like "Memories of East Texas" and "Anchorge," and in her effective interpretation of Jean Ritchie's classic "The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore."

Shocked is a gifted songwriter. She can write overtly political material that will not hit you over the head with overbearing self-righteousness. She never loses sight of her senses of humor and irony. Note the gracefulness of her lyrics in "When I Grow Up," "Grafitti Limbo," or "Gladewater."

That Shocked never broke out into the into more mainstream success like Suzanne Vega or even Fiona Apple is perplexing. Such a dilemma poses the question: "Where do you go...when there ain't no justice?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album that deserves to be reissued, 29 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
Great tracks on this album. Anchorage used to get a lot of play on GLR and is the one that sticks in my memory. Criminal that it has not been reissued.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
As I get older I am searching out more country and folk. The good stuff is awesome. This is the good stuff. I wish Amazon would pay their fair share of UK taxes.

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth the £6, 4 Dec 2005
S. P. Harry "one_sph" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
I'm quite new to michelle's music coming from a gift i had of the texas campfire songs.. bilmy what a CD.
CD1 is great but i though CD2 is a real gem, packed with live recordings (not recorded on a walkman!!). the beatles track 'lovely Rita' is superb but 'the ballad of Penny evans'is outstanding it brought tears to my eyes.
I've come from the stable of the Grateful dead, J.J.Cale and Rainer and Michell Shocked is now a welcome addition. Recomended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album of original folky songs, 8 Aug 2010
Dr. G. Austin "Graham Austin" (Black Country UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
I have this on vinyl and love it. There are some well drawn self penned songs as well as a good version of the L&N don't stop here anymore. Its well worth a listen. I prefer this style to the minimalist Texan Camp Fire Tapes, good though it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good As It Gets, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
Lovely to have "Anchored Down In Anchorage" and other great songs by Michelle. She's a great lyricist, a great human being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for folkies, 10 Jan 2010
A B "FatAndy" (Colwyn Bay, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
I was a fan of this album when it first came out in the late Eighties. Over the years it faded from memory until twenty years or so after it's release Terry Wogan of all people played 'Anchorage' on Radio 2. That triggered me to search out a copy of the CD, which these days isn't easy to do, or cheap, if you're in the UK. However it's a CD that's worth spending a couple of extra quid for.

For me it's extremely rare to find an album where every song is excellent. Even the best albums can suffer from a duff track or two. However the stars must have aligned when this was recorded because there isn't a duff track in sight. You'll probably see this album classified as folk but that doesn't tell the full story. Despite the title and the picture on the cover this is quite a mainstream album that will appeal to all fans of great music. If you're a fan of well crafted pop songs there's no reason not to love every song on this album. If you wear a chunky sweater and drink real ale you'll love it just as much.

My personal faves are 'Memories Of East Texas' and 'The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore' but as I said before every song here is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
the cd arrived promptly and was exactly as advertised and took me back to listening to it on cassette tape many years ago.
so i was pleased with my easy purchase thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous album, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Short Sharp Shocked (Audio CD)
A marvellous album by my hero (this week). I listen to it over and over again. As I did 25 years ago on cassette tape. Remember those?

ARRAY(0x1009f054)

Short Sharp Shocked
Short Sharp Shocked by Michelle Shocked (Audio CD - 2003)