5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!
When I heard that Lene Marlin was going to release a new album, I was thrilled: when I heard she would be releasing a DVD as well...I was overjoyed!!
Published on 11 Dec 2003 by fruitcake

2.0 out of 5 stars Fake surround mix, album a bit boring.
Don't buy this for the surround mix. It seems that all that's been done is that the stereo mix has been filtered to play quietly in the centre and rear speakers. It is not a special mix. The album itself is not great in my opinion only You Weren't There stood out to me. The video footage when the album is playing is, apart from one track, miming in a studio. The same...
Published on 29 Mar 2008 by Mike the Fish

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 11 Dec 2003
This review is from: Another Day [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd is so interesting by the fact that we actually get to see the usually very private singer/songwriter in the studio, having a laugh with her band, and talking at length. Ive never actually heard Lene speaking very much before, so that in itself was something I instantly liked about this dvd!
I would recommend this dvd especially for the beautiful live version of the song "My Love"; an intimate, and seemingly highly emotional performance from Lene (who seems to look very emotional throughout the song). Besides this, there are all the album tracks, performed by Lene and her band that we can watch, as well as a 12 minute documentary which sounds short but is well worth seeing, as well some extra tracks that do not feature on the cd.
For me, a big fan of Lene's music, this DVD is an excellent addition to the albums I own! I really recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums in the World..., 15 Oct 2003
This review is from: Another Day (CD) (Audio CD)
Lene has surpassed herself with this, her second album, providing us with what must be one of the two best albums ever, along with her first, 'Playing My Game'.
For me the tracks are so rounded that they work excellently by themsleves, but together they become an incredibly gripping collection that demands to be listened to again and again!
'Another Day' itself is a very strong song with a wonderfully uplifiting melody. The clever inclusion of strings in 'Sorry' is not - as is sadly the case in most pop songs with strings - intrusive but actually adds a lot to the tune. 'My Love' has such touching lyrics, and its bare guitar melody is truly beautiful. 'Whatever It Takes' and 'Disguise' have very intriguing lyrics, and unique tunes. The masterpiece 'Story' is reminiscent of 'A Place Nearby' (Track 10 from the first album) which also spoke so eloquently about the sadness of death. The most adventurous of the tracks has to be 'Fight Against the Hours', which uses to great effect a bass riff similar to that in U2's 'With or Without You'.
There just aren't enough words to express how good this album is, and the DVD is also well worth buying. Pity there are only 5 stars!
After a long break, Lene Marlin has made a superb addition to her musical repertoire, a splendid gift from an artist who has already given us so much that is special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, wholesome and lovely., 1 July 2004
This review is from: Another Day (CD) (Audio CD)
Bored, and scouting for my next buy on amazon.co.uk I decided to check up on Lene Marlin to see if she'd got her act together and recorded her sophomore album yet.
I have to say i was surprised to find that 'Another Day' was nestled comfortably among the most popular sales for the talented norweigen. At this point it was still onthe pre-order list and there was no picture but I bought it anyhow.
After being drawn in by the slow 'Playing My Game' I did have second thoughts about whether I really should get the Cd or not - but I'm very glad that I did. 'Another Day' returns to the true Lene Marlin sound: warm and skipping lullabies.
The whole album is beautiful: and all incorperate Marlin's inexplicable ways of putting her listeners into a drowsy state - not at all in a bad way but 'Another Day' is definitely one to wind down to.
Every track is gold and every note is gorgeous. In my opinion it outstripped 'Playing My Game's slightly childish efforts by far and I enjoy this second offering of guitar driven songs very much. If you like Jewel or Dido, Lene Marlin's probably up your street.
Buy Another Day - and feel her uplifting sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it live?, 13 Nov 2005
This review is from: Another Day [DVD] (DVD)
There seems to be confusion about whether the songs on this DVD are live of the studio versions. Well, the main tracks are the album versions, but you see Lene and the band performing them 'as live'. The track 'My Love', however is live, as are the bonus acoustic tracks.
The interviews and documentary are very interesting. They take you on a journey into the creation of the enchanting record.
The Easter Eggs are also a nice idea.
I give it 4 out of five for it's inspiring menus, and nicely produced music, however this would be a 5 if all of the performances were indeed live recordings since you can simply get the studio recording on the CD release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Demands a listen, 23 Dec 2004
I. Marshall "iain" (U.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (CD) (Audio CD)
This album is the next step in lene's career, her sound has matured greatly since playing my game. However this isn't one of those albums everyone will rave about that it has never left their cd player, i've listened to it twice in about a week becasue it demands complete attention and respect, you really have to apprieciate this album for all of its qualities and only by closing your bedroom door dimming the lights and playing another day at a reasonable volume can you do that. Unlike many female artists there are no catchy tunes in this album, every song is made by Lene Marlin's voice, it commands the dynamics of the song, the instruments never dominate but merely aid the songs. If you give this album the time it deserves it could well be your favourite album very easily, it definitely made me smile when i turned it on because it was exactly what i wanted it to be, and it should be for any lene marlin fan, for once no criticisms at all, this is perfection, every track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 4 Feb 2004
Jon (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day [DVD] (DVD)
If you liked Lene's 1st album, then I'm sure you'll love this one too. With this DVD version you get to see Lene perform each of the tracks on the album or you can listen to the album with the lyrics being displayed on the screen. With the exception of "My Love" all of the tracks are exactly the same version as they are on the CD version. You also get 4 additional acoustic tracks which are brilliant, and I think should have been on the original album anyway.
All of the tracks on this DVD can be played in Dolby Digital 5.1, which sounds great if you have the necessary equipment etc. Channel seperation is good, and the sound that comes from the rear speakers is just right to create a very good immersive effect.
All in all, I love this album I listen to it a great deal. I recommend this dvd or the cd very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars hello, 21 Jan 2004
This review is from: Another Day (CD) (Audio CD)
I actually went to the shop to buy her debut album, 'Playing my Game', but since they didn't have it, i got this one instead. I'm so glad i did because it's now my favourite album ever (i only have 5 others in my collection).
I'm not going to say which songs are the best, because to me they are all the best.
i love the line in 'another day'- 'do you wanna know if i'm able to forget, there are times i wish we'd never met'
'My love' is so hauntingly beautiful and sad. In fact, all the songs are rather sad and melancholy. Some of them tell stories like 'whatever it takes' and 'story' and 'you weren't there'.
There's one i can really relate to- 'fight against the hours'- 'i guess i'm holding onto treasures, to things that just aren't there, to people that i used to know, to words i wish to hear.'
. (lene marlin has been compared with fiona apple (who i've only heard of) and Natalie Imbruglia but i think Lene is a superior talent to Natalie whose only good song is 'torn' that i've heard. Any one who likes sad, thought provoking and meaningful music needs to buy this and it should be played on the radio and she should be a huge success in england where people should be able to understand and appreciate good english lyrics but she's not huge here and i don't understand why. If you already like Lene Marlin a lot, i would like to reccomend another foreign artist from New Zealand- 'Bic Runga'. Bic's songs aren't much like Lene's. they are very different but bic is also very original and writes her own music and plays instruments and has beautiful lyrics. You may have heard one song called 'sway' which was featured on that movie 'American Pie'. she also has almost every review with 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars quietly beautiful and touching, 24 Mar 2004
This review is from: Another Day (CD) (Audio CD)
I bought this album after having liked Lene's previous singles "sitting down here" and "unforgivable sinner" and thought this would be quite similar. I was wrong, but gladly so.
This album has such a different undertone and feel to it than much of her other work. Her lyrics are simple but honest, and her voice is so gentle and quiet, showing a possible sense of insecurity.
The songs are very moving, and although the majority of them have a sense of melancholy and despondency, they are beautifully crafted and show her emotions from an almost childlike viewpoint.
Her voice is soft and wispy, and is very easy to listen to.
All of the songs on here are great and the album and Lene herself are extremely underrated. Overall it is definitely worth buying.
Enjoy x x x

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, 6 Oct 2003
This review is from: Another Day (CD) (Audio CD)
Rather than give you a long winded review - my advice is just buy this and see for yourself. It is in two words, Simply Awesome.
On the first few listens you may think the release is rather bland, however persevere and you are in for one of the best albums of 2003 - a masterpiece. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!, 29 Sep 2003
This review is from: Another Day (CD) (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for this album for years. When Playing My Game was released i was so impressed. The songs were fantastic, beautiful in fact. This album is very similar and yet in many ways different. I have only listend to it about 3 times through, so cannot make any real judgements yet, but i do like it. Playing my game took a few listens before i really got into it. You weren't there. Sorry. Another day are very good. Thing is i loved playing my game so much that i don't think anything will ever live up.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa294d08)

Another Day (CD)
Another Day (CD) by Lene Marlin (Audio CD - 2003)