5.0 out of 5 stars Building up to something big., 28 Sep 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rahxephon - Vol. 6 [DVD] (DVD)
Ayato returns to a new TERRA commander and once more he is subjected to prejudice and outright hatred. The last few episodes seem to have given him the strength of mind to cope though, and the negativity is contrasted by the acceptance from his friends who don't care that his blood is different.

He's brought a friend with him too, but there's something about Mamoru which seems decidedly odd, and we get to see that he isn't quite what he seems.

This volume introduces a massive plan - `Project Downfall', which will being about the end of Tokyo Jupiter and those who feel they haven't seen enough action in RahXephon so far will love the final episode on this disk (episode 23) for scenes of total obliteration. Also - episode 20 gave some stunning shots of the RahXephon in action.

The music throughout these episodes seem to be variations on `Quon's Song' and I now have it stuck in my head, it's been in the series for a while now and it's a beautifully simple piece of music and manages to strike an emotive chord whenever it features. I expected to learn more about Quon in this volume, and although there are small insights and mini-revelations about her history, she is still very much a mystery!

In a nutshell: The events of this volume establish scenarios from which there is no turning back. The plot has thickened and the drama has increased - the next volume is the last one and I can't see how they will squeeze in an ending which will tie everything up. As the penultimate volume, this disk succeeds in wetting your appetite for the next (and last installment) by creating a dramatic cliffhanger. A great set of four episodes which has both confused me and drawn me in, I have a feeling that once I've finished watching this series I'll be re-watching it at some point to pick up on all the plot devices I missed the first time round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series., 21 Mar 2009
This review is from: Rahxephon - Vol. 6 [DVD] (DVD)
This applies to the whole series, not just this volume - because you really cannot watch these independently.

Beautiful animation, good soundtrack and a refreshingly complex but interesting plot, characters you can really care about. This series will not disappoint. I have re-watched it several times and always found something new or a new angle on the events which makes this an excellent addition to your anime library.

Please not that this series is suitable only really for older teenagers and up because of plot themes that you can only really appreciate with some life-experience behind you. Its not a cartoon.

Rahxephon - Vol. 6 [DVD]
Rahxephon - Vol. 6 [DVD] by Yasuhiro Irie (DVD - 2004)
9.99