5.0 out of 5 stars Stand-out album
This is a short one. Just 33 minutes of music in an age where we have now forgotten that albums used to be half an hour long - if you were lucky. Fortunately, they have made the best use of that half-hour. From start to end this is just a magnificent sweep of guitar-oriented sound. The Strokes guitar sound is so distinctive it makes you want to pick up a guitar and amp...
Published on 2 Oct 2005 by Mark Hillary

3.0 out of 5 stars The Strokes' weakest
I find that The Strokes couldn't really match the monster hype with their second, 'Room on Fire'. Despite an equally as 'big statement'-sounding title as 'Is This It', it's not as satisfying and exciting. It's definitely their first grower as 'Is This It', in contrast, is relentless and if you're to be claimed by it, you'll know and it's immediacy becomes as striking as...
Published on 10 July 2011 by Jack Richard William McCarthy

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic album..., 1 Dec 2003
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
A lot of people have been saying that this album sounds too similar to the last one, I can see their point but that sound works so well and personally I love it. A great album, although a little less harsh sounding than the first, and is lacking equivalents to the lively 'NYC Cops' and 'Take it or Leave it'. Still this is an outstanding album and most definitely worth a listen. There are some lovely mellow sounding songs such as 'Under Control', on which you can really hear just how good Julian's voice is. 'Reptilia' and '12:51' are the liveliest of the tracks and my favourites, with some good sounding guitar effects I have not heard before. This album is considerably shorter than the first, although this is a good thing as it leaves you wanting more at the end of every song. Roll on Friday night at Alexandra Palace!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this it? yes.... Room on Fire is it!, 13 Jun 2005
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
It would appear reading other people's reviews that 'Room on Fire' does not meet up with people's expectations as to what the follow up to 'Is This It?' should sound like... why? I don't tend to review albums i don't like and this is no exception. I think this album is as good, probably better than 'Is This It?'. The rhythms and vocals fit together to produce something that just works. I didn't feel that their previous album had the consistent genious that this album represents in my eyes. Easily one of my favourite albums. I think i may have this opinion because i was a bit of a late comer to the Strokes scene and actually heard most of 'Room on Fire' before 'Is This It?'. Stand-out tracks for me are: Reptilia, Automatic Stop, 12:51, Between Love & Hate, Under Control, The End has no End and The Way it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars grandkids, they will understand, 7 Dec 2003
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
A lot of people have said that this album is too similar to the first. To repeat the standard of the debut would be one hell of an achievement. But there are significant changes to their sound on the new album anyway. Valensi's guitaring has reached new heights of excellence. Some riffs (tracks 3 or 10 say) achieve a sort of'fairground', 'circus' sound (also reminiscent of 1980s computer game music)- which gives the music a new, weird edge. And once more the riffs never work against the vocals. Like all great albums, it is lean, no musical fat. You couldn't take one bar off without a detrimental effect. Something else I notice: if you listen to the lyrics, most of them seem to be about shaking off groupies. Is this Casablancas' pillow talk? ("I never needed anybody,it won't change", "you talk way too much", "meet me in the bathroom", "You are young darling but not for long".)Golden rule: write about what you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't we agree on something now?, 12 Nov 2003
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
Ah, life. Life is full on contradictions, as you may well have noticed. The life of The Strokes' second LP has been particularly full of 'em, or at least its reviews have. Some insist that it sounds EXACTLY like Is This It, while others reckon it's better, and still others are convinced it's much, much worse. Some think Julian shouts too much, some that he's wisely cut down on the shouting since their debut. Even the people who love the album don't seem too agree about which tracks are the best. You get the idea... Now when did you ever see such a mixed bag of reviews?
You see, we've all let our hopes, expectations and predjudices get on top of us, and we've all taken it out on a bunch of scruffy NYC kids who only ever wanted to rock'n'roll. And NME, of all parties, are the only ones to point out that if anyone has changed, it is us. The Strokes Sound no longer seems as thrillingly new and different to us as it did two years. We know all about them now, their rich backgrounds exposed, their appearance and music copied time and again. We've all gone out and bought Velvet Underground and Television records so that we can pretend we've known about them all along, and those Strokes? Bah, they were just copying.
But this is a review, right? And since I've just said that all our opinions on ROF are clouded etc, you'll just have to take my opinion into account rather than as fact.
It's very good. There.
It's very similar to Is This It, but there's some development here and there. Besides, The Fab Five were a whisker away from recording with Radiohead producer Nigel Goldrich, so it looks like we're in for something different on Strokes III. Maybe it's a good job they didn't go ahead with it, but as Pitchforkmedia put it, "perhaps if they traded Goldrich's number for the DFA's"... Room On Fire is an interesting chapter in the Strokes story, let's hope it's not the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb from the New Yorkers!, 29 Dec 2003
Mr. Gideon D. Brody "twitter me: gideon_" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
"Reptilia" has to be one of the finest songs ever. Right, now I've got that off my chest I can continue with the review. 'Room on Fire' is one of those albums that, unlike 'Is This It', takes time. Almost guaranteed on your first listen you will comment on the similar idiosyncratic nods it has to The Strokes fine debut. You've got the catchy riffage, the lovesick lyrics, the lo-fi production and the same mic effect on every song, and then you'll probably say something like, "hmmmm, but it isn't as good!"
Well you'd be wrong. With 'Room On Fire' the New Yorkers, who look like one half of the cast of West Side Story, have delivered a fantastically rich and mature collection of songs that, if not wholly indicative of the band's future longevity just yet, does convince you that they are growing and advancing. They certainly do have the potential to become a classic rock band capable of evolving and moving away from the sugar coated simplicity of "Last Night" and "Soma".
"12:51", in itself a clever first single release, as it is the closest this album offers to 'Is This It' but the rest is a wholly more annoyed exercise. Casablancas delivers his sardonic tales of break-up and frustration with typical cockiness yet the emotion in his voice is clearer and certainly less palatable than the last album aside from the wonderful and overlooked "Trying Your Luck".
'Room On Fire' has more surprises musically as well as lyrically. The usual, 'made up in two minutes riffs', are ever present but there are more elements to catch you out on this occasion and sharp changes in tone lie around every bend.
"Automatic Stop" is a tortured tale of denial that you expect to cheer up but doesn't. "Between Love & Hate" is more of the same and exposes a rather uncomfortable side to Casablancas and his abject loneliness.
This album will take time to sink in. So adjust yourself to a new challenging Strokes. Still fresh, still cool, but gratifyingly different.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS BETTER THAN IS THIS IT, 24 Feb 2010
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
This album is better than Is This It. Quite a bold statement I must admit, and I realise that many would disagree with me, including some of my friends who think I'm crazy. But there's something about this album that makes it my favourite Strokes effort. Where you could probably catagorise Is This It as indie rock, Room on Fire is a hugely bold and brilliant album, shamelessly bright and poppy with superb production and spirited tunes. I think the contrast between the two albums is best represented in the cover art. For me, highlights include the driven rocker Reptilia, super catchy Meet Me In the Bathroom, the electro pop showcase of The End has no End and the sprightly album closer I Can't Win. It's all terrific really. And what I can't understand is how people dismiss this album as a knee-jerk reation, especially in comparison with Is This It. Why is that? It is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars fanastic, 16 Mar 2004
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure wether to buy it or not , but Im so glad I did . I love the strokes , and this album is mint . The best songs are definitley 12:51 , Meet me in the bathroom and reptilla.
If you like anything from the ramones to the yeah yeah yeahs , you will love the strokes , and this album .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Jan 2004
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
If you liked there last album, get it! If you don't know who they are, it takes some getting use too. I don't know why this is good, maybe it's there lyrics, with stuff like 'I wanna be forgtton, and I don't wanna be reminded', it just makes this album sensational. Maybe it's there basic but heavy drum beats, which is a particular fetish of mine when it comes to what type of music I like. Maybe it's there rythmic guitar sounds that are, like the drums, basic but complicated (if you know what I'm saying...........cos I don't), I'll explain, the note changes about every two bars, that's not very often in terms of music, especially modern rock, but the guitars are very fast and the length and distortion changes which is very impressive to listen to. The bass guitar is the same, and it sounds so good, especially with bass solos like in 'Reptilia' (which is around 1:20). Maybe it's the croaky, interesting, sensual voice of the lead singer, which gives it character. Maybe it's a mixture. Whatever it is, all i know is that this album is my favourite, and it is excellent piece of music, but i must admit that it only suits certain tastes, people may see him as groaning, but people may see the artistic side. Get it, use it as an ambassador to this type of music, you either love it or hate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A master stroke!, 6 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
This album is easily as good as is this it. There is not a bad song on the album, raw punk at its best! I like the guitar playing on this album more than the debut as it has a lot more intricate solos which show hammond and valensi can really play the guitar to a masterful level; and once again casablancas's vocals are raw and powerful. For me it contains the two best songs ever written by the strokes, under control and 12.51. Its a real must for any true music fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is This It? Nope the room's on fire now., 1 Nov 2003
Mr. N. Fleming "Niall Fleming (erador)" (Shipley, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
Ah the fantastic debut album Is This It, I was obssessed with that album for a long time, and I find The Strokes have done it again with Room On Fire, it doesn't quite measure up to Is This It, but few can.
With the upbeat melody of 'What Ever Happened?' and the slow sultry coolness of 'Automatic Stop'. You can't really go far wrong. '12:51' at first listen doesn't quite seem to fit the bill, subsequent replays reveal the vast tapestry of its lyrics and you'll end up loving it.
'Automatic Stop' reminds me of 'Someday' in some ways, not quite sure why, maybe the memorable melody or just how easy it is to listen to and it's darn likability.
It has everything, slow songs, fast songs, pacey anthems - 'the end has no end'. The lead singers strange voice counterbalances the off beat rhythms perfectly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Room On Fire
Room On Fire by The Strokes (Audio CD - 2003)