4.0 out of 5 stars Ten new tracks = ten new drum patterns, 15 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing (Audio CD)
I’ve enjoyed the music of Laika for quite some time. I own a copy of each of their albums so I thought I’d point out what’s new in Wherever I am . . . , and what’s stayed the same.
Returning are the playful, sometimes frantic drum patterns in unorthodox time signatures, spooky distant-sounding keyboard, reverberating marimba or vibraphone (or whatever that is), added-in vinyl hiss and pop, and Margaret Fiedler’s intensely personal lyrics.
She’s foregone the dense rapping style of previous outings and uses her very lovely mellow singing voice to deliver her simple lyrics. She even sounds very “pop” as she warbles about broken hearts on “Alphabet Soup.” The lyrics easily fit into the booklet whereas they had to be crammed in on the first two album’s liner notes.
The CD packaging is new: dual-fold plain white textured canvas, with a pocket for the booklet, sparsely decorated with rough sketches of human figures. It’s very nice compared to a jewel case. And it’s an apt analogy for a lot of the contents: the textures of drums as the canvas upon which rough song ideas are hastily rendered. Well, maybe that’s a bit harsh. The songs aren’t so much rough, but sparse and preliminary. Too much of the time it seems like she’s singing to a drum accompaniment. As with “Dirty Bird,” the songs have a promising beauty about them but end quickly without expanding on it. The album therefore just flies by in under 42 minutes.
I still give Wherever I am . . . 4 stars because their music is no doubt more rewarding than 99% of the tripe played on North American radio. And Laika makes you feel cool just for knowing about them.
If you’ve been following Laika like I have you’ll definitely want Wherever I am . . . But if you’re new to the band I would suggest Good Looking Blues (“Badtimes” is so amusing) or Sounds of the Satellites (“Spooky Rhodes”! ) You won’t regret venturing spaceward with Laika.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shining Brighter Than "Good Looking Blues", 1 Nov. 2003
D. McKown "DJ Därko" (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing (Audio CD)
I've been following this band since "Sounds Of The Satellites." Their third release "Good Looking Blues" was a bit of a darker effort than "Sounds." I liked Good Looking Blues, but found myself somewhat removed from it and not completely loving it altogether. I knew it was good, but wasn't convinced.
Now they've released their fourth effort "Wherever I am I am what is missing" and I wasn't sure what to expect. After listening to some samples on Amazon.com, I was instantly interested. I went ahead and purchased it at a local import shoppe being the bargain hunter that I am.
I've just given it the fourth listen to. The only thing I can say about this effort is it is more accessible than "Good Looking Blues." Not quite as dark, a bit more like "Sounds Of The Satellites"... brighter and more melodic. I noticed more of an emphasis on percussion and drum'n'bass which works well for them.
The overall sound hasn't changed. It struck me as more intimate and personal than the last. This is just a more accessible effort for me than the last effort. An impressive and enjoyable effort at that.
This, just one man's opinion. Make up your own mind you should.

4.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite electronic duo., 1 Dec. 2003
Mr. G. C. Cutter "cutter_me" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing (Audio CD)
This album would have been completely undiscovered by me if it weren't for MTV 2's 120 minutes. After seeing 'Alphabet Soup's cool, chilled out video, I went and bought this album, went home and listned to it's equally chilled, glacial vibes. But I'm not convinced.
It's hard to fault the first 5 tracks on this album, each one funky and rolling by with a robotic like focus. Margaret has one of the most beautiful voices i've heard and the drummer excels with his synopcated beats.
However, track 6 'Diamonds and Stones' is a low watermark, being stripped down to the barest of beats and Enya like harmonies. It's all a bit to basic for my taste and the tracks that follow, although sporadically brilliant, don't match to the first half of the album.
This album may not be 'classic', but then it's too cool to care.

Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing
Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing by Laika (Audio CD - 2003)