on 17 March 2008
I have owned this for a year now with absolutely no complaints. It cooks perfectly everytime and is small enough for cooking a meal for 2 but large enough for family size meals.

I previously bought a much larger slow cooker as I thought it would allow for big batches of soups - which it indeed does. What I did not realise is that there is a minimum amount that can be cooked in slow cookers and so bought this one for my smaller dishes. I now only really use this one.

It is worth purchasing a slow cooker cook book as it makes a huge difference to slow cooking. Understanding the basics and how to adapt traditional meals for slow cookers is vital.

I would not be without this product and recommend to anyone that likes hastle free healthy cooked food.
33 comments|878 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 September 2013
I've just replaced my original slow cooker with this model and so far I'm delighted especially for the reduced price. At 3.5 litres there's enough room in the pot for a decent sized casserole and as I'm only cooking for two there's usually enough left for the following evening. I'm happy with the toughened glass lid which fits tightly and doesn't rattle while in use and the non-slip feet mean the cooker doesn't wander around on my work surface. The handles remain cool enough I can take the pot directly to table without burning my fingers. There are 3 settings, low, medium and high, and so far I've had excellent results without anything drying out. Quite heavy, 2kg, but not difficult to lift. Once you've perfected your recipe it's so simple to just throw ingredients into the pot and leave it to simmer away. Takes so much effort out of cooking when you're pushed for time. If you haven't used a slow cooker before my personal advice would be; if you're slow cooking beef/pork/lamb pieces make sure you cut the meat and pieces of veg. into approx. the same size - you'll get a more even cook that way. If you're making sausage casserole (family favourite) brown the sausages in a frying pan before you add them to the slow cooker - that bit of colour makes them look much more appertising when you serve.
on 17 August 2012
I was pleased at the prompt delivery of this product. I was eager to use it so did not wait for the recipe book that I had ordered at the same time--I followed the guide lines in the makers leaflet enclosed with the cooker--only one complaint- the amount of fluid recommended is far to much, causing the gravy to be thin and unappetising. So will be adding less fluid next time.
on 8 September 2006
I'm a mum of two young children and I'm trying to get an Art degree..... I also get pain in my knees from standing for any length of time. I was getting to the point when I would come home from college and just ring in a pizza.. or stick something under the grill because I was in no fit state to cook anything.... Needless to say, after a few weeks of this, we were all feeling grotty! ( and I felt guilty...)

Investing in a slow cooker has made a big difference to us all and it's now part of our routine. I can't compare it with others as I haven't tried anything else, but my Morphy Richards Slow Cooker has been fab.

I'm usually feeling ok when I'm up first thing, so it isn't much hassle to do the prep, sling it all in the pot and get on with the rest of the day..... But if I'm feeling ok in the evening, I might attempt something more complicated, put it in the pot, and store it all in the fridge for the morning.... so I can even get a bit of a lie-in.... (not that I ever do.... )

It's such a pleasure to come home and just serve up. I only have one pot to wash with the plates too, another bonus when you're whacked!

I have seen some of the cookers with a "keep warm" function... which looks interesting.. but I have to say, If I have been away from home longer than I intended to be, as long as the recipe is being cooked on low, it's always still fine.

I bought a couple of great vegetarian slow cooker books and we've had some great meals from it.. moussaka, leek and skitaki mushroom gratin...even lasagne.... (have a Durban Curry on the go at the minute...) Admittedly, at first I subjected my lot to some very sloppy dishes.. (didn't trust the instructions to use less water!!) ... but now I have really got the hang of it. Everything tastes great and I know it's good for us all too.... (Have to be careful being a veggie!)

The removable pot is pretty cool... I don't know if you're meant to be able to stick it under the grill to brown things... but I do... and haven't had problem with it.... though I know some of the more expensive models allow you to...

It's a standing joke amongst my friends that I am a slow cooker obsessive now...

But I don't care... Xmas shopping has been easier this year.. they're all getting one!!

... I even got one for my caravan... ( saves gas, economical with electricity... and my time )

Hope this helps!
22 comments|573 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2010
My partner and I love to cook and, although in our 60's, we have an active social life and find the time spent on cooking often conflicted with our arrangements. I saw the ad for the slow cooker on Amazon and decided to try, as the price was so competetive. Wow! Life has changed! We plan the menus, load the cooker in the morning, go out and come home to a fabulous hot meal, with no dirty dishes! An absolute must is the book "Ultimate Slow Cooker" by Sarah Harris. The recipes are delicious - haven't had a bad one yet! I was so impressed that I bought two more cookers and books as Christmas presents for family and they are now hooked also. So get your cooker, and enjoy!
on 20 February 2013
We were looking for a slow cooker with three settings as opposed to low, high and auto. We were looking for one with low, medium and high. We bought one 3.5 litre and one 6.5 litre Morphy Richards slow cookers from Amazon and bought the MR split two compartment cooker elsewhere.

All three cookers yielded the same results in that there were only two different settings despite there being three positions on the control knob. The 3.5 litre cooker was 160/97/160 watts for each of the three settings, and the 6.5 litre cooker was 260/190/260 watts for each of the three settings. (The split one was 275/200/275). So the whole range bears misleading descriptions and is not a fault with an individual cooker.

The question is do Morphy Richards know about this. Have they done this deliberately or accidentally?

Some Breville, Cookworks and Crockpot 3.5 litre cookers have three genuine settings.

PS I contacted Morphy Richards who confirmed that the "medium" heat setting is not a separate temperature setting, but stays at "high" for an hour and then switches to "low" which other manufacturers would call an "auto" setting. Deliberately misleading therefore.

PPS In defence of this cooker however, I would say that its relatively low wattage per square metre of pot cooking area is very low compare to other cookers. This means that it is less likely to burn food left on for a long day whilst at work, and is therefore one of the only genuine slow cookers on the market.
on 9 October 2007
When choosing a size of 'Slow Cooker', it might be worth noting that although this shows as a 3.5L capacity, this actually means a maximum working capacity of c 2.5L (In the case of the larger version, Morphy Richards 48715 Slow Cooker Stainless Steel 6.5L 350W, the maximum working capacity is c 4.5L)

Sturdily boxed, comes complete with an adequate recipe choice to get started, so no need to purchase an additional cook book.
Stainless Steel base, with three cooking settings - low, medium and high, with 'medium' being the standard setting (6-8 hours)

Removable OVAL ceramic crock pot which is easy to clean out with hot, soapy water or, simply, pop it in the dishwasher.
(nb Due to the porous base it shouldn't be left standing in water for long)

Box Detail:

* Toughened glass lid
* 'Cooltouch' handles
* 150 Watt
* Non-slip feet
* Power indicator
* 2 year guarantee

Contents include a concise instruction booklet, including a 'dos & do nots' section, which includes the following information:

* 'If using frozen meat and/or vegetables they need to be completely thawed out first.
Pasta, seafood, milk and cream should be added towards the end of the cooking time....
If you need to pre-cook or brown foods prior to slow cooking, this must be done in an alternative pan. Do not try to brown or pre-cook food in the slow cooker.....'

Recipes include:

* Irish Stew
* Vegetarian Curry
* Pears in Red Wine
* Rice Pudding

The only re-education I have really needed is avoiding the temptation to open the lid and prod the contents during cooking, too often!

'Removing the lid will allow valuable heat to escape, reducing the efficiency of your slow cooker and increasing the cooking time. If you remove the lid more often than a couple of times to stir or add ingredients then you will need to allow 10-15 minutes extra cooking time each time the lid is removed.'

Manufacturer's Description:

'The healthy alternative to ready meals, slow cookers offer a convenient way to make fresh food. Easy to use, a slow cooker can be left safely cooking away while you are out and about so you can enjoy freshly cooked meals without being tied to the kitchen. Simply add the ingredients to the crock pot and the slow cooker will gradually cook your meal over the course of several hours meaning you're in control of the ingredients and when you eat.

Colour: Stainless Steel A New Oval Shape Slow Cooker That Brings Style Into Your Kitchen. It Can Be Used To Prepare Large Quantities Of Food As Well As Small Ones. It Comprises An Elegant Removable Crock-pot That Can Be Taken To The Table For Serving. The Glass Lid Allows You To Monitor Cooking Without Letting Heat Escape And The Crock-pot Goes Into The Dishwasher. - Use Pot To Serve At Table - Glass Lid For Monitoring Cooking - Variable Thermostat - Dishwasher Proof Removable Crock-pot - 2 Year Guarantee'

All in all, an excellent little machine for less that £17 (at the time of writing).
It does the job it says it will and I turned out a beautiful dish of 'Beef in Red Wine', on the lowest setting.

Perhaps one consideration when comparing more expensive alternatives, apart from the actual cooking capacity previously mentioned, is that there is no facility to pre-set a start time for this Morphy Richards slow cooker.
review image
66 comments|214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2007
Bought this a couple of months ago to replace a small 1.5 litre sized one which I bought as I didn't think I'd use it often enough to warrant a larger size for the two of us. Wish I'd bought this one first: it's wonderful - I can now cook larger quantities and freeze for another meal. The meat just falls apart after cooking and is so tasty. Gave the small one to my 84 yr old mother who is now also enjoying the cheaper benefits of slow cooking. My son and daughter are vegetarian and particularly like the Ratatouille I make. So much so, that my son and his partner bought one also.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 3 November 2009
After several months of use I can honestly say that this is a good sized slow cooker for a small family. It removable oval pot is large enough to hold a small to medium size chicken, and yet you can make a soup or stew for two people. This 3.5 litre crock pot can make up to a maximum of 2.5 litres of food.

It is a three part machine: the electrical base, the ceramic crock pot and the toughened glass lid. Replacement parts (control knob, glass lid, crock pot, etc) are available from Morphy Richards.

The long cooking facility is very handy for those days when you are going to be out of the house and know that you are not going to be able to stand cooking when you return. You simply prepare your meat and vegetables the night before (or get some frozen out of the freezer), add your stock and seasoning, select your setting and away you go.

Operating the cooker is easy but I would have liked more than the "off", "high", "low" and "medium" settings (in that order), however the medium setting is the one which we use the most - cooking times of 6-8 hours for most dishes on medium, with low used to keep the food warm and the high setting if you need to raise the temperature of the food more quickly - always remember to check that the food is cooked properly before serving (there have been occasions when the power has been interrupted and the food it not quite ready).

The instruction booklet which comes with the cooker is easy to understand, and gives some good tips for those who haven't used a slow cooker before. There are also some wonderful recipe ideas at the rear of the booklet - I can recommend the chicken and mushroom casserole, both the pork and beef goulash and oriental honeyed pork. A couple of personal favourite recipes of my own are Lancashire hotpot, soups (celery, chicken and pea and ham are perfect for this cooker) and Cajun chicken.

All-in-all this slow cooker is well worth the money, and can take a lot of the stresses and strains out of meal time.
44 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2008
Not too much I can say, really, and nothing to fault. It's a very nice, smart looking cooker with three heat settings and a crock that is removable and dishwasher safe. It comes with an instruction book that contains a dozen or so simple recipies, many of which we've tried and all are very nice. I think the price is very reasonable and we're certainly getting our money's worth, using it once a week. Sausage casseroles in particular are excellent cooked this way.