on 20 September 2006
After reading some of the more negative reviews on this unit, I thought twice about buying but then saw it extremely cheap on a well known auction site and made a purchase a month or so ago. And I am so glad I did.

The espresso comes out hot and strong and great for any use. Providing you leave the 'steam' switch on until the 'ok' light appears, the steam is strong and powerful enough to froth a good few cappucinnos. I agree that the water resevoir has to be emptied, rinsed and refilled every day as it does end up making the coffee taste plasticky, also the steamer is a little low down so I have to use short cups to steam the milk with. Other than that, this is a great starter unit and I would recommend it to anyone.

Only one problem....I walk around constantly wired now as I am drinking far too much coffee :)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had this machine now for well over a year and overall I'm pretty happy with it considering how little it cost compared with other espresso/cappuccino machines on the market.
I find the Treviso makes coffee as strong as I like it (medium/strong) very well and copes well too with my brother-in-law's taste- he likes his extra strong (tar-like imho!). I'd give it 5 *'s for the coffee making.
Where I feel it loses 1* is the milk frother. I find it slow and does not froth as quickly compared with the more expensive machines. But it does get there if you are prepared to wait a minute or so.
I find it a sturdy, compact machine that is easy to fill with water and easy to clean. It has a good size drip tray. What more do you want?
I paid thirty five quid for mine (special offer in Sainsburys) and for that price (or for the current Amazon price) I doubt whether you can get a better machine.
on 4 November 2008
I surprise myself by writing a glowing review on the day the thing has broken.

I had only ever thought of it as my 'great new espresso machine'. Neither had I realized the time that had gone by.

Usage Statistics and Inadvertent Destruct-Testing

I have been making an average of 11 double espressos per week. Always when I have been tired and clumsy.
I have forgotten to top up the reservoir at least once every six weeks. and so have been rushing to give load back to a pump that was screaming as it raced with nothing but thin air.
3 days out of seven I have forgotten to turn it off and it has remained on for up to 8 hours.

It has worked perfectly until today when the pump just quietly hummed and only a few drops dribbled out.

Quality of Output and tips for use.

I achieved crema four days out of seven and have still not worked out what I need to do to make it predictable. This is a skills rather than hardware issue but I mention it for competeness' sake.

I achieve good coffee every day ... except when I do not 'pre-charge'. This has been mentioned before and I will reiterate: Switch on and wait until red light comes on. Do a 'blank' espresso ... filter bowl attached and pouring into the cup UNTIL the red light goes off. Everything gets fully warmed and the water is primed. Remove filter bowl and full with coffee. Tamp down. By this time the red light has gone on and you are ready to reapply filter bowl and pour your espresso.

I confirm that extra fine-ground coffee must be used or you are guaranteed RUBBISH. I have always used Lavazzaa. I once had nothing except medium-ground filter-coffee and in desperation tried it. The result was watery ... insipid, tasteless slop.

The milk frother is stable and effective. The frothing widget on the end of the pipe does its job. My previous three Espresso machines had standard pipe which, though effective, required some concentration and coordination. This one heats the milk quickly when dipped low and creates masses of thick froth when dipped shallowly. I use Skimmed Milk straight out of the fridge. I used to use semi-skimmed until one day I accidentally got skimmed and found it made a stiffer and thicker foam.

Some reviewers have mentioned the plastic reservoir imparted a slight taste to the coffee and recommend rinsing and refilling it often. I had not noticed this problem ... could it be because I was using it daily and thus my natural frequency of topping up bypassed this issue?

NEWS FLASH: It is working again. I remembered I had a sachet of liquid descaler and decided to apply a 'farewell' attempt before finishing this review and ordering a replacement.
Here follows a VERBOSE account of the descaling process I used including unexpected twists and surprises:

Since the 'evidence of breakage' was that the pump motor was hardly making any sound except a tiny hum, and only mini-dribbles of water were coming out, I emptied the respire and put the sachet and minimum about of extra water to top up to just above the opening of the intake tube which hangs just above the bottom. This tiny amount of concentrated descaler sucked up very slowly and due to the heat of the boiler, got into the pump mechanism and proceeded to froth and vaporize ... forcing through and creating a massive pour. Having achieved initial 'movement' I added more water to the reservoir and poured what had come out .. back in again. I kept this running cycle of pour, pour back into reservoir and repeat .. leaving to cool down a bit and cycle again for about half an hour, during which time the action became progressively easier.

I then went into rinsing procedure ... cycling fresh water through the system until it ran clear. I then put the steam switch on and opened the steam valve until that ran even steam .. no splats or blips.

THEN Surprise ... I went for a final normal rinse though the coffee pouring part of the system and it was again running dark brown and sedimented. So .. back to running clear and ..... Another Steam heat and opening of steam valve as above and back to normal operation with more brown water and sediment. Eventually that also ran constantly clear.

After all that I returned to this review to record the process and then made a test expresso. Crema .. yes. And tastes as good as before it broke.

Well .. I do hope this has been useful to you. I will come back in a couple of months to report the on the stability of its 'mended' condition.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 April 2005
Loved this machine, small, compact, excellant coffee, bit messy now & then if you were not careful but generally easy to use. We used it everyday without any problems but unfortunately it died on us last week, we had a few drips and then nothing would come out. We were so gutted! It lasted a year of continuous use. To use a coffee machine on a daily basis then you gotta get one a bit more robust which Iam trying to find at the moment!! Sad that this broke as it was doing so well ;-(
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 6 March 2007
I think this machine is excellent. I have seen similar spec machines for three times the price. But newcomers need to realise that these machines need a certain degree of operator skill! It's a lot different to using a drip type filter machine. Firstly the coffee has to be selected carefully. It needs to be a rich roast (5) and needs to be ground for an expresso machine (i.e. ground to a fine powder), or you will end up with weak coffee. Starbucks will happily sell you freshly ground beans suitable for the purpose. The machine needs to be hot, the milk needs to be cold and in a shallow, wide jug, or it won't froth properly. Use fresh, clean water, as per the instructions. Don't leave the water in the machine for days on end - the carrier lifts out, so there is no excuse for tainted water as other people have mentioned! Finally, you need to get some suitable coffee cups. This is not designed for mugs. A serious machine for serious coffee drinkers on a budget.
on 22 January 2004
At last we're paying the same price as the yanks!
Followed the instructions, and felt like I was in cafe. The espresso comes out thick and black (or lighter if you prefer) and the steamer actually makes really good froth. (Remember to use chilled milk). First cappucino I made was good - now just getting better at it and making better and better coffee.
The machine is also REALLY easy to clean. - Negative points - it's slightly noisy when the pump is going - but that's only 30 seconds so who cares. Well done Delonghi.
on 16 July 2007
First few times I used it I must confess that I wasn't happy with the result and was tempted to get back to my Moka pot! Then I found I needed to grind the beans much finer than before and heat the water for about 15-20 mins before making coffee. Once I found that out it was like I was using a different machine! The coffee is great, it takes up only a small amount of kitchen top and I've even given my old Moka pot to my sister! I'm really impressed with this cheap yet great little machine and would recommend it to anyone.
on 5 January 2005
Neatest 15 bar machine in the budget price range and also the cheapest. Nicely made, simple to use, froths the milk nicely for cappuccino. Good sized water resevoir.
Cheapest I've seen it on Amazon.
Very happy with mine.
on 15 January 2008
Firstly I'll address the 30 minute warm-up time. I rarely bother with this. All you need to do is run a large espresso amount of water through the *empty* swivel action coffee holder. You can do this just after you switch it on and it will then make a good hot coffee.
Personally I don't drink shots of espresso but this machine makes it incredibly well for the money. This is of course dependent on using a decent coffee - I favour a certain Italian brand myself but any good one will do.
My tip for coffee heaven using this machine: get some good size low cups first. A standard tall mug will not fit. If you like a decent amount of coffee like me get some bowl shaped ones. Make a good latte by filling a cup 3/4 with ice cold milk, then switch on the frother and when the light is red heat the milk until the light goes off - you can continue frothing even after the light is off until happy with the consistency. I have not managed to get a Starbucks style thick froth going with this machine, but it will steam the milk until it's fluffy and very hot.
I then top it up to the brim with good strong espresso and hey presto - a coffee that rivals any of the cafes near me.
This machine is my first foray into making proper coffee at home, and thanks to it I now have the bug. I don't drink a huge amount of coffee but the stuff you can make with this machine is so good I really look forward to it now.
When you consider the fact that it costs the same as 25 lattes from the average industrial coffee chain, it represents stunning value for money.
Experiment with it and you'll soon be knocking up delicious coffee at home - I no longer drink coffee out and about so it's paid for itself many times over.
Minor quibble is the size of the reservoir which could be larger, and the plastic frother attachment requires a certain amount of care to thread on and off. That aside for the happiness this gives me it's the best 50 quid I've spent in ages.
on 26 June 2008
I've used it for months now and I love it, however, it may not suit everyone. I use a large cup for my cappuccino
and the two cup coffee filter almost full. To make two I have to do it all again, fortunately this is rare (wife likes tea) Using small cups you could make two cappuccino's together.
Someone complained of noise - it's slightly noisier than boiling a kettle but only for about 20 seconds.
Someone complained of half hour to heat up - instructions also tell you the quick method which is seconds.
Someone complained of milk not frothing - I have had no problem, read the instructions!
For the money and for one (me) it does the job.

See one answered question