on 27 February 2009
Kenwood HM326 Hand Mixer
Wonderful little machine, easy to store and has usefull onboard holder for blades. Runs quietly and smoothly.
on 29 September 2010
29 September 2012:
I brought this product for myself about a month ago.
I have been used to mixing with a wooden spoon in the first years of my baking, then my sister in law brought me a cheap mixer from Asda, it was a 250W.
This mixer, after a few years of use, became grubby, but I certainly got my moneys worth.
So I needed it to be replaced and had been researching for about 2 months.

Points to bear in mind when buying a new mixer:

1) "Check the current Watt of your current mixer" - As a very experienced baker, I feel that a lot of the taste, success and rising of a cake is due to the speed and technique of the mixing. So I chose this Kenwood one as it is also 250W. My cakes still turn out the same as before :)

2) Looks and style are certainly not everything. This Kenwood one doesn't look a lot at all. Its a bit of an ugly duckling. So you might consider a Dualit one. Not only are they 500W, and for me that is double the speed I am use too, but the reviews all over the internet are hit and miss. This Kenwood mixer actually proved to have a hell of a lot more good and positive reviews than the Dualit ones.

3) Really make sure you read reviews and pay attention to the negative ones as well as the positive ones.

At the end of the day this mixer is not expensive at all and you can't faulter that.

Hope this helps ;)

12 August 2012:
Review update...this mixer is still going strong, no problems at all.
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2004
Does just what it says on the box - beats and whisks. speeds all work well, but for goodness sake, do not put the beaters in the dishwasher...the plastic becomes brittle and cracks
0Comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2009
A very smart piece of equipement which would grace any kitchen. Compact and easily stored away. I have used it for lighter mixing like sponge cakes and heavier mixing like bread dough and it has certainly done the job.My only critism is that the switch is difficult to move from mark one to two and I have to move from one to three and then back to two.
on 18 March 2010
After just over a year, having it used it about 10 times, this machine stppped working during mixing buttercream. On taking it apart, the plastic cogs have stripped - and is now useless! My last Kenwood mixer lasted 35 years!
The switch is poor, motor too noisy and the numbers on the switch rubbed off on the 2nd use. I am SO disappointed in Kenwood, I think they have lost their quality. Don't buy this machine, it is cheaply built.
55 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2009
This mixer was bought for us 3 years ago and has has been used on average twice a week to knead bread throughout its life and occasionally for cake mixing. Firstly I can say that it has enough power to handle pretty heavy useage bread mixing very well, and the 3 speed settings are perfectly adequate for cake mixing.

It has however been making a grinding noise the past few uses, and today it gave up. Upon opening the mixer casing(which is very easy to do) I found that the beater gears, which are plastic had worn out. You can however find replacement parts on the net for about 5 pounds including postage. Replacement is going to be a very simple job, then I can hopefully look forward to another few years of use.

Update:
the replacement gears lasted about a week as they weren't the same quality as the originals and ground themselves to nothing. I now just use a plain old whisk!
on 2 May 2010
I am a keen baker and have had this model for a while.
This is a good mixer for occasional use and small quantities but it does have a tendency to overheat when used for a long time or for multiple different things (I nearly burnt out the motor at christmas).
I used the dough hooks only once. The unit just doesn't have the power to cope with a stiff dough (another near burn out).
The 3 speed settings are a little fiddly at first until you get used to the slide and the first speed is not all that slow but they are adequate for most things. If you are mixing dry ingredients be prepared to wipe down your kitchen after, as they get sucked in through the intake and blown everywhere. But that could just be me.
If you are only making things once in a while this would be fine but if you are like me and bake more often or do more complicated recipes - i.e. somethings that requires several things to beaten, spend the extra cash and go for a more expensive beater with more speeds.
on 2 June 2007
I've owned this for over a year now. It works well, easy to use and clean, and doesn't take up much storage space (it did come supplied with a clip to hold the beaters to the machine for compact storage, although I just chuck them in the kitchen drawer.) There's not much you can say really, does what it says on the tin - whisks, beats and mixes. I cook quite a lot and this basic model serves me fine. Very useful.
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2009
This mixer seemed to me to be the best one in the price range and I wasnt disapointed. It's solidly built, easy to handle and the beating elements are stainless steel and not flimsy plastic. So far it's doing it's job very well and I am very pleased with this purchase.
on 27 October 2009
I inherited a Kenwood handmixer from my mother and it was 50 years old when I finally retired it less than 2 years ago. Naturally, I bought another Kenwood but I did not find it very satisfactory. It was flimsy and rattly in use, the beater-release button was too stiff and needed maximum force with both thumbs to work and the beaters themselves were very short so, in use, the mixture spread to the top of the shafts.
Today, however, after fairly modest use, the mixer broke. When it was taken apart it was apparent that this cheaply-made mixer was not built to last - the cog wheels which turn the beaters were made of plastic and the worm thread connector (metal) had just chewed them away until they couldn't turn.

I would never buy another Kenwood after this experience.
44 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse