4.5 out of 5 stars1,560
Style Name: White Mini-900wattChange

I bought this, like many others I'm sure, on Delia's recommendation in her Cheat recipe book. It has been in almost daily use in my kitchen since the moment it arrived, about six months ago, so I thought I would add a review based on my experience. It is small - very small, so doesn't take up nearly as much space on the kitchen counter as having a food processor sitting there. It is very easy to take apart, clean and put back together again - these things are really essential for a kitchen machine being used as often as this one will be! Most importantly however, it really does what it says on the box really well. It chops things. Quickly, evenly, finely (if you press the button down for a longer period of time) coarsely (if you just press the button down for a few seconds for a quick whizz!). Most often I use it for 'finely chopped onions' - the basis for many a fine recipe, but I've also used it for chopping ginger, garlic, beef (both raw and cooked), making hummous (a la Delia!) and lots more besides. After six months use, the perspex is showing a few scratches, but apart from that this product has worn well, and the blade seems as sharp as ever. It is really easy to operate - just a big grey button, and it works really really well. Buy one. Even if you can't stand Delia, she is right about this little beauty. If mine broke, I would buy a new one tomorrow!
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2009
This little chopper is absolutely worth its' weight in gold! Have you ever wished that somebody would invent something small that could cope with just one chilli?
Well, this is it, no more 'chilli-burnt' fingers, I don't put it away and I use it every day for chopping loads of things. Go on treat yourself, you won't regret it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It was well worth the wait for this to come back into stock following Delia's exploits. This is a very handy and powerful little tool. Small enough to be easily stored and easily accessed rather than having the bind of getting out the full size food processor (currently in a box on top of the fridge right at the back!). It takes a little practice getting used to quite how powerful this is. Cut an onion into quarters before you put it in the mini chopper and it'll practically puree it in 10 seconds. If you want your items a little more chunky e.g. mushrooms then just pulse it a little. The trick is not to overfill so things have a chance to move around in the bowl and nothing gets stuck. The bowl itself is quite straightforward to remove once you get the knack. You can be sure if you buy this it won't be the type of thing that sits away gathering dust.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2014
When I first used this I found it a bit fiddly to lock on the bowl and lid. Quicker to get out the chopping board and knife I huffed. However, after a bit of practice it's easy peasy. I now use it regularly. Chop an onion? Whizz it's done. Need some breadcrumbs? Buzz buzz that's it. Carrot for mince dish? A doddle! Particularly practical when only cooking for one or two. Small enough to sit on the counter or at the front of a cupboard if you prefer.
on 22 August 2005
I bought one of these recently and have been using it a lot more than I thought I would. The instructions suggest you take care with hard veg like carrots or turnips but I've had no problems at all (no reduction in revs for example) and the two speed feature is brilliant. Some choppers I've had in the past tend to pulp everything at the bottom and leave the rest in chunks, but this has the most even chopping motion of any mini chopper I've come across with a really powerful little motor. The bowl is a bit tricky to fit in and remove but even that does not detract from what is actually a pretty good product. As I mentioned - I haven't had it for long, but so far I'm very happy.
on 15 February 2013
I think that a lot of people get ones manufactured well but a high proportion are just unlucky enough to get ones where the spindle and the blade housing don't fit correctly and the blade housing breaks. I have only been using it for onions, ginger and a few spices and reading the reviews there is no difference in usage between happy and dis-satisfied customers. I was given mine and Kenwood were kind enough to send me a new blade for nothing when the first one broke within a month. Sadly the second went the way of the first during its first onion. There is something fundamentally daft about having a plastic sheath driven by a metal shaft-the slightest resistance means the plastic breaks. Its back to the ancient moulinex grinder for me-even though its not meant for onion, the blade is fixed, its tiny and its the devil to clean and dry its still going after over thirty years.
Come on Kenwood- I still use and love your almost as ancient chef but I'm now nervous of buying new products of yours- may be you should improve the quality even if it means us paying more, many would be willing to do so.
on 10 January 2013
I have been borrowing my mother-in-laws for a few months (she lives next door). She has had hers for years and it still works 100%, so I was not concerned at the bad reviews, I put them down to a few people being a bit picky (sorry). I have had mine 3-4 weeks, I use it once a day to granulate Farley's Rusks for my child as it does a better job than mashing with a spoon. Yesterday smoke came out of where the button is and it stinks of burning, I am in the process of sending it back :(

Kenwood used to be a name of quality, a name you could rely on, I don't know if they have moved operations or are using cheaper materials/components to save money? But if you look at reviews on Kenwood appliances for the past year+ they are getting ripped to bits.
on 10 February 2008
does exactly what i need it to. powerful enough to mash up most stuff inc. nuts, chocolate etc, bit of advice - avoid liquids for easy cleaning!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 October 2009
My video shows an onion being chopped up, a slice of bread being converted to crumbs, dried mushrooms cut up and finally some slightly damp herbs being cut.
The mini chopper has proven to be a valuable tool in my kitchen.
The increase in speed of the motor is caused by pressing right down on the start button.

Since buying the mini chopper I have also got a blender for smoothies and pancakes Antony Worrall Thompson by Breville Intelligent Blender VBL030 and did a video review for it.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2006
I replaced my small Moulinex processor with a fullsize version and was horribly disappointed in it, but that's another story. Anyway, I needed something else for preparing small quantities of food, eg chopping an onion or making pesto. The mini chopper is ideal. Compact, easy to clean and producing nice even results.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse