1,268 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful kitchen gadget ever
Published on 27 Oct. 2008 by EllyBlue

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made product
I wonder how many of these 'little wonders' Delia managed to get through in the making of her cheat program!
Published on 1 Mar. 2010 by J. Pank

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful kitchen gadget ever, 27 Oct. 2008
EllyBlue (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper - 300 Watt - White (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this, like many others I'm sure, on Delia's recommendation in her Cheat recipe book. It has been in almost daily use in my kitchen since the moment it arrived, about six months ago, so I thought I would add a review based on my experience. It is small - very small, so doesn't take up nearly as much space on the kitchen counter as having a food processor sitting there. It is very easy to take apart, clean and put back together again - these things are really essential for a kitchen machine being used as often as this one will be! Most importantly however, it really does what it says on the box really well. It chops things. Quickly, evenly, finely (if you press the button down for a longer period of time) coarsely (if you just press the button down for a few seconds for a quick whizz!). Most often I use it for 'finely chopped onions' - the basis for many a fine recipe, but I've also used it for chopping ginger, garlic, beef (both raw and cooked), making hummous (a la Delia!) and lots more besides. After six months use, the perspex is showing a few scratches, but apart from that this product has worn well, and the blade seems as sharp as ever. It is really easy to operate - just a big grey button, and it works really really well. Buy one. Even if you can't stand Delia, she is right about this little beauty. If mine broke, I would buy a new one tomorrow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Wonder, 22 Aug. 2008
I don't have a pen name "the_metro_area" (West London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It was well worth the wait for this to come back into stock following Delia's exploits. This is a very handy and powerful little tool. Small enough to be easily stored and easily accessed rather than having the bind of getting out the full size food processor (currently in a box on top of the fridge right at the back!). It takes a little practice getting used to quite how powerful this is. Cut an onion into quarters before you put it in the mini chopper and it'll practically puree it in 10 seconds. If you want your items a little more chunky e.g. mushrooms then just pulse it a little. The trick is not to overfill so things have a chance to move around in the bowl and nothing gets stuck. The bowl itself is quite straightforward to remove once you get the knack. You can be sure if you buy this it won't be the type of thing that sits away gathering dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert island kitchen gadget (if the island has an electricity supply!), 4 Jan. 2015
I'm not sure why I hadn't got round to reviewing this - other than I've been too busy using it. I've got a bigger beast, a food processor which is used when making larger quantities and when things like pastry, dough, shredding or liquidising are needed - but THIS little beauty is an irresistible kitchen helper.

Depending on how long you hold your finger on the pulse, you have a certain control on the size of your chopped bits, so I've used it to get onion, carrot, and even hard vegetables like swede, into bits of varying sizes for soups etc.

You can get things chopped very fine as well, eg use it to make breadcrumbs, ground nuts. I've used it to to turn cooked pulses into a paste for vegetarian pates, to finely chop herbs, to chop cabbages for slaws, to make hummus.

It's compact size makes it such a doddle to use and clean. I notice a reviewer who marked it down because it died within a year. The amount of use mine gets, it wouldn't surprise me if it coughed its last, but i would just give it a decent burial in the electrical goods recycle and immediately buy another. Brilliant price, brilliant product

5.0 out of 5 stars An Easy to use powerful little chopper, 22 Aug. 2005
P. Borges (London) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these recently and have been using it a lot more than I thought I would. The instructions suggest you take care with hard veg like carrots or turnips but I've had no problems at all (no reduction in revs for example) and the two speed feature is brilliant. Some choppers I've had in the past tend to pulp everything at the bottom and leave the rest in chunks, but this has the most even chopping motion of any mini chopper I've come across with a really powerful little motor. The bowl is a bit tricky to fit in and remove but even that does not detract from what is actually a pretty good product. As I mentioned - I haven't had it for long, but so far I'm very happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid., 9 April 2009
This little "mini chopper" does all that I can practicably expect it to do. I would at times even go so far as to call it a "mini food processor", though that technically is an abuse of the nomenclature.

It looks and works as advertised, though I think it's a tiny stretch to say it has two speeds. Again, I suppose I am being fussy with the english, but I would say two "settings" or "options" would be more accurate. Just switching it on or manually "pulsing" the button, isn't really two different speeds!

Minor quibbles aside (it really is "mini", I'd like something 10-30% bigger if I could have found it); this is an excellent kitchen tool and has it's place. In our house, it's mostly used as an almost dedicated onion chopper. We cook with onions often, but not in great amounts each time, so it's perfect for that sort of thing. It's a real kitchen item and not just a gadget!

Note: Read the manual at least once, as there are a handful of common items that it is less suited for.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb!, 10 Feb. 2008
does exactly what i need it to. powerful enough to mash up most stuff inc. nuts, chocolate etc, bit of advice - avoid liquids for easy cleaning!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 12 Dec. 2011
I needed a chopper/blender/grinder in order to make my Budwig Cream (the famous health-builder breakfast, where raw cereal grains, nuts and seeds are ground) so first I bought an electric coffee mill at £35 but it broke on first use. So I researched all kitchen robots and went for this chopper and also a blender, both from Kenwood.

Well it turns out I only need this little chopper after all, at merely £20 it does all I had dreamt of, I don't even need the expensive blender! It chops all herbs (4 seconds) of course, but also grind nuts (hazelnuts and almonds so far) in 10 seconds, seeds and even the hard raw cereals grains such as buckwheat.

It simply is the best buy of the year for me, I am greatly impressed. And it is so compact I can take it with me to friends' places when I need to cook over there, it is smaller than a handbag.

This is written by a genuine food obsessor, not someone paid to write a review!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made product, 1 Mar. 2010
I would love to know what the failure rate for this product is. I have owned it for two weeks and used it 5 times. The 300 watt motor whirrs away and the blade remains stationary. The plastic 'socket' to locate the blade has been worn away by metal spindle. Even if spares are available, the design is so poor that it will certainly fail again unless the unit is redesigned. Ok if you are only going to use it to chop garlic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Some of us get a rubbish one-some are lucky, 15 Feb. 2013
I think that a lot of people get ones manufactured well but a high proportion are just unlucky enough to get ones where the spindle and the blade housing don't fit correctly and the blade housing breaks. I have only been using it for onions, ginger and a few spices and reading the reviews there is no difference in usage between happy and dis-satisfied customers. I was given mine and Kenwood were kind enough to send me a new blade for nothing when the first one broke within a month. Sadly the second went the way of the first during its first onion. There is something fundamentally daft about having a plastic sheath driven by a metal shaft-the slightest resistance means the plastic breaks. Its back to the ancient moulinex grinder for me-even though its not meant for onion, the blade is fixed, its tiny and its the devil to clean and dry its still going after over thirty years.
Come on Kenwood- I still use and love your almost as ancient chef but I'm now nervous of buying new products of yours- may be you should improve the quality even if it means us paying more, many would be willing to do so.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used twice and the shaft on the blade cracked, 4 Dec. 2009
After reading many reviews I decided to go ahead and purchase this nifty little device. Used it to chop some carrots and swede and on the second run the plastic shaft that holds the blade cracked and now the blade won't spin. Made with very cheap materials, don't expect this unit to last long.

Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper - 300 Watt - White