4.0 out of 5 stars Cooks fast for a slow cooker!
Size - You can easily fit a joint / whole chicken in this slow cooker. There are only two of us and it's probably a bit big for our needs but would be excellent for a family.

Published on 2 Jun 2008 by V. J. Chettleburgh

2.0 out of 5 stars A 'fast' slow cooker
I agree completely with the previous poster. This slow cooker cooks very hot even on low. Heaven knows what it would do on medium or high! To compensate I start the cooking later but there is no way I would risk an overnight cook
Published on 10 Nov 2007 by Mr. R. Mcadam

4.0 out of 5 stars Cooks fast for a slow cooker!, 2 Jun 2008
V. J. Chettleburgh (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Morphy Richards 48715 Oval Slow Cooker 6.5 Litres - Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)

Settings - There are 3 settings, low, medium and high. A lot of slow cooker books recommend starting the cooker on high. That is definitely not needed with this slow cooker as low is a bit, well, high!

Cooking time - A lot of reviewers have criticised the cooking time / thermostat but I don't have a problem with it and never 'crozzle' anything. Yes, if you turn the slow cooker on before you leave the house in the morning and don't eat until say 7pm then the contents will be crozzled. However, I bought a timer plug for mine. I set it to come on on low at around Midday and everything is cooked perfectly by the time I get home from work. I also find that the over eager thermostat can sometimes be a benefit....I've put mine on high at around 3pm for a couple of hours and then low for a couple of hours and again, everything is cooked to perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first slow cooker and I am very happy, 30 Sep 2009
OrganicGreen "Knowledge is King and books a g... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have never used a slow cooker and I am always reading forums about how great they are in cooking tasty meals and saving you time. So now I have 2 children and one at school I REALLY need something to help with cooking healthy meals when the kids come home. I find I have little time to prepare and cook meals in the evening when my son has homework and the other usual things to do in the home rush hour of 4-8:30pm.

So I looked at the Which? report and it recommended this slow cooker as the 'best buy' - easy to use, clean and allows you to put a whole chicken in it and cook it very well.

I now prepare my meals in the late evening when children are now in bed and store it in the fridge. I prepare two days worth of food at once. Morning before I leave the house I then tip the food (meat+herbs+onions etc) into the slow cooker & quickly wash & chop carrots. That's it!!! Just 5mins work in the morning. Set it to medium. Later after work at 6pm we return home to a hot ready to eat cooked meal. Just need to grill chippatti or quick noodles and eat!!!

Recommend this book Which you must get if you are new to slow cooking or just want fantastic recipies.
Essentials of Slow Cooking: Delicious New Recipes for Slow Cookers and Braisers (Williams-Sonoma Essentials).

As I cooked for 2 days in the slow cooker the next day I just need to heat up the food.

2.0 out of 5 stars A 'fast' slow cooker, 10 Nov 2007
Mr. R. Mcadam - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great flavour, a little fast, 22 Nov 2004
By A Customer
A slow cooker veterans we find that this cooker cooks fast. All we've done so far has had great flavour and even cooking, but you need to reduce the time by about 10-15%. Capacity great when doing a joint, but 3.5lt better for everyday family meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 27 May 2008
This problem of burning food/cooking to fast must have been a faulty batch of
these because mine is fine half full on medium no probs i know a few people who have the 6.5 model and they have no problems either. I have looked into this and this is the only reveiw site that even mentions this. All i can say is that mine is 10/10 sorry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast Burner, 18 Feb 2006
Bought this one to allow for cooking larger quantities than the 3.5 litre model which has been a five star success. Unfortunately the larger cooker is in a different league. The heater is either over rated or the thermostatic control is useless. Unless it is full, on low, and cooking interupted by stirring, it cremates the contents. I wish we had bought another 3.5 litre model to supplement the other model. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget-Friendly Gourmet Nosh (Some Skill Required?), 3 Oct 2008
I've been using slow cookers for about 25 years. I got the 48715 last Christmas (2007) and it's been serving this family of four at least once a week since. Like any other kitchen appliance, some common sense in its use will avoid any of the negatives I've read here.

A slow cooker is not a 'set-it-and-forget-it' device, and they're not marketed as such. Admittedly the 48715 runs hotter than one might expect, but that's true of most modern slow cookers. In fact the one niggle I have with it is the number of times I've inadvertently touched the hot metal base, but that's me being clumsy. There's a warning printed on the front, 'Hot metal surfaces do not touch.' And even at the age of fifty-something, I can still burn toast occasionally.

If you must leave it unattended, a timer socket (for around a tenner) can be handy, but consider how long the raw ingredients will be sitting at room temperature. Better to set it to come on within a hour of you leaving, and to turn off after a set number of hours. The residual heat will continue to cook the contents for some time, and half an hour on high will get it hot enough to eat.

Use the thing enough times and you'll get to know how far you can trust it to be left on its own.

The ceramic bowl has integrated moulded handles to allow it to be carried to the table and sat on a heat-proof mat. I doubt if I'd try to carry a full cooker by the handles on the base with the power cable trailing everywhere. I don't think that's the plan, Stan.

All in all a great investment -- and a great partner for that other energy-saver, the pressure cooker -- this slow cooker has paid for itself several times over in the last nine months. If it dies on me tomorrow, I'll be right back for another.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very stylish pot!, 29 Jan 2009
A good product with style and capacity for the largest of families or party. You can cook everything from casseroles to joints, ( rice pudding is fab, add a spoonfull of clotted cream to serve!) The liner looks very stylish on the table and is very easy to clean...that's another +...so buy a pot, you'll never look back, just press the button and 'GET COOKING'!.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful product, 1 Dec 2005
By A Customer
I had reservations about using a slow cooker until persuaded by a friend to buy one. It has been a revelation! I can have good food ready for my family as soon as I walk in the door at 6.30pm, instead of the stomach-rumbling 8pm it used to be. The Morphy Richards 48715 is a great size for large casseroles and curries, and is absolutely brilliant at slow cooking a joint of lamb. I should have bought this product years ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars Choose another!, 18 Jan 2008
H. Cooper - See all my reviews
I have had this product for 30 days now and I'm just about to return it to Argos on their 30 day refund guarantee. As two other users have mentioned it overcooks food, even on the low setting. I have had to bin one meal when I returned from work to find charred remains stuck to the bottom of the pot.

The pot is big - it's great for cooking large meals or joints in; however, it's far too big for cooking a family sized casserole in (I cook for 5 and it's far too big).
When I purchased this item I thought that it had an autocook feature on it as I could see three different dial positions as well as the "off" position on the picture on the box. However, the settings are actually low, medium and high. Autocook is a useful feature as it automatically adjusts the temperature from high to low after the initial cooking phase. Many recipes (in the books that I use) only use high or low settings and so it remains a bit of a puzzle to me as to why there is medium setting on this model.

The accompanying recipe book is a non-starter - if you are new to slow cooking (and you decide to buy this item) then I would advise that you purchase a separate cook book.

I would advise not to buy this - you will be disappointed - you will waste time in preparation of food and money (cost of food, electrics and takeaways when you've nothing in the fridge and you return home to charred remains). There is also the disappointment factor when you think you've cooked a healthy family meal and it's either burnt to a crisp or has very little sauce/fluid to accompany the meal.