5.0 out of 5 stars Joni Mitchell at her very best
I first saw this over 20 years ago on TV. I have searched for it ever since.
Published on 10 Oct 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Comes third out of the three Joni DVDs I have
Of the three Joni mitchell DVDs that I have I would rate "Painting with Words and Music" as No.1 with "Woman of Heart and Mind" a close No.2.

Published on 8 Oct 2010 by Handygrandad

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni Mitchell at her very best, 10 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I first saw this over 20 years ago on TV. I have searched for it ever since.
The CD has always been fantastic. Probably the best collection of young modern jazz talent ever assembled. Jaco Pastorious is truely the Hendrix of the Bass. Pat Metheny/ Lyle Mays went onto creating some fantastic music over the years. Mike Brecker was famous at this point and shows why here.
Joni's voice is just sweet. Her guitar sound unique. Easy and so melodic.
Joni is often associated with her early stuff. This period is by far and away where her talent lies. Great lyrics, wonderful sound and introducing major young talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 16 Oct 2004
Jon (Taunton, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is a truly great DVD for Joni's admirers. The band have an amazing rapport with each other. In particular, Joni, Pat, and Jaco appear to be at "one".
This is a vibrant and wonderful concert and is an essential part of my collection. My Joni collection of CD's and DVD's is finally complete. At last I can rest!
Do yourself, or your loved one a great favour this Christmas and give the gift of this glorious music.

4.0 out of 5 stars No regrets, coyote, 18 Jan 2007
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
No regrets in buying this. I have pretty much everything Joni has recorded, but for some reason I never purchased SAL. Instead of getting the CD I decided to go for this DVD, partly on the basis of other reviews here, and I was not disappointed. I agree with the comments about the James Dean clips and other superfluous inclusion, it really is very irritating which is why it gets only 4 stars from me. I could even do without the Amelia Earhart clips and the iceskating accompanying Hejira, which, although possibly relevant, are a distraction. As a guitarist, I'd rather see what Joni is doing with her alternative tunings and what Pat Metheny is up to, which for most of the DVD you can see quite clearly. However, Joni has these crazy ideas from time to time, and we can forgive her the occasional blunder. This is a great DVD for any Joniphile - compare the performances here with the same songs on 'Painting with Words and Music' for example and you get a fascinating insight into an artist's changing style. As has been mentioned here, the band are on top form, this is pretty much the zenith of Joni's jazz phase, showing the evolution from 'Court and Spark' through to 'Mingus' After this, we have a few anodyne offerings such as 'Wild Things Run Fast' and 'Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm' before Joni gets back to her best in the early 90's. I have to add I can't agree with the review by 'mmschool' - the sound quality is absolutely fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joni's Jazz best, 22 July 2006
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is worth 4.5 stars for me. It loses half a star for the unnecessary inclusion of arty film and video clips instead of us allowing us to see Joni and the band. This was Joni's idea, but I'm afraid its really irratating. Having said that, I had listened to the CD of this concert for years and had always loved it, so to be able to see 95% of the concert after all these years is fantastic.

Joni is at a plateau in her career here, having moved from folky singer/songwriter to Jazz singer. She probably started slipping a bit after this. Her voice is in fine form and the band are some of the best ever.

Favourite track for me is "In France they Kiss on Main Street". Methany plays wonderful guitar and the band are really powerful. With Michael Brecker on Sax and Jaco Pastorius on Bass, together with Lyle Mays on Keyboards and Don Alias on drums this is a one-off Jazz super-group that never recorded as a unit.

If you like Joni Mitchell's Jazz side this is an essential purchase despite the occasional unwanted film clips.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent live DVD, 21 April 2006
Doktor Futtocks - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is well worth buying. Joni's voice is spot-on, and the band are red hot. Jaco Pastorius is great, as is Pat Metheny. The additional presence of the Persuasions is just the icing on the cake! The audio quality is excellent too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadows & Light, 7 Aug 2007
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Simply one of the best live music videos ever. The mix of folk lyricism and jazz sophistication is perfect. What songs, what a singer and what a band! Open your ears and your heart and they will thank you for it. I bought the original LP (yes, on vinyl) in 1980 and it is still in my top ten. I knew the video exisited so, when the DVD came out, it was long awaited.

The Holy Grail of live music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shadows and DeLight!, 23 Jun 2010
Julian R. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This was a blast from the past. I remember seeing this show on the BBC way back in the early 80s and it's funny how your memory plays tricks on you (I thought the whole show was in black and white!). What a perfect summer's evening gig. Joni plays with grace and ease and you wonder if the chilled Californian audience are aware that they are seeing an iconic performance. Just sit back, enjoy and try not to get too stressed with the extended art films that will test your patience when all you want to do is marvel at the musicianship.

4.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to the glorious Seventies!, 23 Feb 2005
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
It somehow seems appropriate that this line-up should close the decade which had seen both progressive rock and jazz-rock reach their zenith. That it should happen before and after sunset in the wonderful open-air Santa Barbara Bowl before an appreciative, casually dressed and noticeably long-haired audience evokes the decade gloriously. Joni Mitchell released the superb HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS, which ought to be in everyone's all-time Top 10, around 1975, and followed it with the highly rated HEJIRA. Each of these albums provide a couple of tracks for the concert.
At the heart of the concert band is the Metheny/Mays partnership and the tragic Weather Report bassist Jaco Pastorius. The mid-70s had seen no resolution to the question, 'Who is the world's best bass-player -- Pastorius or Return to Forever's Stanley Clarke?'. For this gig, Pastorius is at the top of his game -- and for once, he keeps his solo relatively brief. (I saw him twice with Weather Report -- at Oxford Poly and at the Hammersmith Odeon -- and on both occasions, his solo went on far too long and bored the audience silly.) Within a few years of this concert, he would leave Weather Report, and descend into drugs, gang-fights, the loss of an arm and an early death.
Showing more long-term promise (they're still going strong in 2005!) is the incredible duo of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays. They had recently released the white PAT METHENY GROUP album and, judging by Pat's guitar solo, they were already working on themes for the AS FALLS WICHITA LP.
There are plenty of close-ups on the guitarists, but none on the pianist. The inclusion of clips from a James Dean movie, an ice-skating video, and an interlude with a coyote and a mouse, are a little distracting, and overall don't work. But that's a minor criticism. My biggest complaint is that one of the best tunes from the concert -- which is on the CD -- is not on the DVD, and that is her haunting version of 'Woodstock'.
Joni Mitchell is the most talented female singer-composer of the 60s and 70s, and this is, in my opinion, her best concert DVD. You ought to buy this upbeat DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comes third out of the three Joni DVDs I have, 8 Oct 2010
Handygrandad (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)

"Shadows and Light" is definitely No.3. It is still worth having but I was constantly distracted by the video clips that broke the continuity of the live stage show. I am not a great fan of Joni's jazz excursions ... but on those occasions when I feel in the mood I prefer to listen to the CD version of "Shadows and Light".

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best, 13 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Saw this on TV soon after the original was made and was absolutely spell-bound. Have had the audio tapes for years and been waiting for the region 2 version to come out since I noted that it was on DVD (region 1 only). Really worth the lolly and a true classic.

Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008]
Shadows And Light [DVD] [2008] by Joni Mitchell (DVD - 2004)
Used & New from: 10.00