5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of the year, 9 Oct 2003
Simon Thomas "bookaholic" (Oxford/Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
This is a truly amazing offering from the soul of Sugababes debut album. Whilst the style is quite similar to 'One Touch', this album is so much more sophisticated, much stronger and displays the diversity that should have shot this album to the top of the charts, not #101.
1. Nothing But Song - this is a brilliant opener, so catchy, but perhaps a little too reliant on Siobhan's high notes. Sounds quite ordinary the first time through, but REALLY grows on you.
2. Man Without Friends - the problem with this track is that it's sometimes difficult to remember which one it is, as the title bears little relation to the song. When you've stuck it in the CD player, however, it makes a huge impact. Brilliant.
3. Overrated - for me, the best song on the album. A disappointing chart position does not do justice at all to this guitar-lead ditty. Inspiring lyrics - unlike the impersonal stuff usually trolled out by girl groups. Amazing chorus.
4. Little Bits - I didn't like this when I first heard it, but it is SO good - the chorus really grows on you, and it's another heartfelt song.
5. As You Like It - the third best song on the album, with the best verses I've ever heard. usually verses are just used to bridge the gaps between choruses, but the melody of these verses and the lyrics "since ive been dealing with you / my principles have taken a move..." are fantastic.
6. XY - an extremely clever song, seeing a relationship in terms of XX and XY chromosones. A little 'cheesy' in places - "our love is fully blown" but how much rhymes with chromosone?
7. Suasex - dark! I didn't really understand this song, but it's very clever and good to listen to, even if it goes over my head. So much better than the filler tracks on 'One Touch'
8. Twist Of Fate - second single and second best song on the album - the chorus "can you find the words to say that I hate you it's not an easy thing to say" is fantastic - sooo catchy and should be top 5
9. Faces - good, but not the best of tracks
10. Dialect - another amazing song, that wouldn't really work as a single, but is so brilliant in an indie, stylish way
11. Revolution in Me - I quite like this track, but it's a little too understated for me.
12. Iodine - superb discussion on the Bush Blair war thing, with a comparison to Christmas turkeys. as I'm veggie, i have to agree! Truly inspired lyrics include "do you have the legs to bring us to arms" I love this song - probably going to be the third single - and whilst the record company will probably shockingly underrate the song, i'll be buying it!
I've not known anybody not to love this album, and everybody loves different tracks. For me, the two singles and 'As you like it' are the standout tracks on this album, but there isn't a single dud and it should have done much better! Go buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and brave comeback by the original babe!, 27 Oct 2003
Mr. M. Doyle "doubtingthom" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
Firstly i have to write that i love the sugababes and always have. It baffled me why their one touch album, so highly praised by everyone, sold well below expectations. what was noticeable immediately about that album were the beautiful vocals of Siobhan Donaghy who having apparently and allegedly been mistook for a punchbag by her ex bandmates took off. Not even twenty she has since suffered a breakdown and, although not what anyone would wish on any talented young person, this has fuelled her excellent solo album which it seems most people are unaware of. siobhan should be livid with her publicist because this is a real shame. Her voice is just wonderful, the songs subtly snare you in and the album has hardly left my cd player since its release several weeks ago. Unlike didos dull chart-topper there is a distinctive beauty and fragility in Siobhan that is both heart-breaking and beautiful. I can not recommend another album this year more than this. More beautiful than damien rice, more layered and original than McKay and if she gets the support she deserves this little lady should be collecting award after award for such a magnificent return. Brave and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 5 Jan 2004
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
Siobhan Donaghy could be one of the most talented songstresses in the UK, and with the help of credible collaborator Cameron McVey she has produced an album with more depth and consistency than that of your typical pop starlet.
Her debut is a continuation of the work she began with her former band mates. ‘Look at Me’ and ‘Promises’ from One Touch are the best examples of that, but Siobhan revisits the sounds and themes of her previous work from a somewhat edgier angle these days. Under the influence of indie and alternative genres, the old soul sound has been replaced, but it still contains a sprinkling of that original magic, which creates something rather unique in my opinion.
Yes, comparisons to Dido are vaguely justified, but songs like ‘Next Human (XY)’ and ‘Suasex’ are great examples of twisted and unusual pop and prove that unlike her older counterpart, Siobhan is capable of injecting a sense of originality into her music. Meanwhile, Kylie could have resuscitated her career a couple of years earlier if she had followed up ‘Confide in Me’ with songs as lush as ‘Little Bits’ or the album’s title track.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most unique album of the last 5 years, 9 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
After hearing the first single 'Overrated' and being drawn in by the fantastic video, I knew I had to hear more, so I bought the single and also loved the b-sides that came with it. Then I saw the next video 'Twist Of Fate' (though it had very poor airplay) and decided to buy the album as soon as it came out. And I must say... I have never ONCE regretted it. In fact, after hearing it, I decided to go out and buy all formats of her previous 2 singles just so I could hear the other b-sides. I didn't want to miss a single track from this talented ex-sugababe. Now people say it's a shame she doesn't do much publicity, but I view this as a good thing because Siobhan Donaghy is NOT a commercial artist...though I am afraid of her being dropped by her label due to the lack of single and album sales!!!? But let me just exlain why I love this album so much:
I'm not going to review this album track by track, as that has been done SOOOO many times, and basically I would end up saying the same thing for every track... FANTASTIC!! 10 out of 10! Every track on this record made me stand up and really take notice of this girl, from the lyrical genius she is, to the incredible range of her voice. There are beautifully dark down-tempo tracks like 'Faces' and 'Little Bits', and then there are the fun poppier ones like 'Twist Of Fate' and the rather strange but fantastic grower that is 'XY (Next Human)'. If I had to choose a favourite on this album, I honestly couldn't. They all mean alot to me, in totally different ways. I connect on a major personal level with 'Overrated' but also adore the rock anthem 'Dialect' and the fantastic 'Man Without Friends'and 'Iodine'is a corker of a track to end all corkers (hehe), plus it would have made a great christmas single though its actually about politics and war.... Well i'm going to end it there, but I hope by now that if you are debating whether to buy this album or not, I beg you DO IT! It is absolutely incredible :-) Peace out x

4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut which deserves more recognition..., 26 Oct 2003
Random J (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
When I first heard “overrated” my response was “Heavy!” I had no idea Siobhan was even considering a solo career, so the song came out of the blue. “Overrated” was a song that deserved to go number 1 without a doubt and the same goes for “Revolution in me.” It is such a good album and it deserves to be in the top 10. London records definitely have a class act in Siobhan Donaghy and it’s a shame they are not promoting her the way she should be.
Her voice ///
There are 2 things you will notice when you hear Siobhan’s album. First off is that you can instantly tell she was a Sugababe. She still has that style voice you hear in the Sugababes songs. The second thing is that you realize Siobhan has a really strong and melodic voice which was never showcased when she was in the Sugababes. I always liked Mutya’s voice and grew to like Keisha’s but Siobhan’s voiced never caught me and “Overload” was the song that convinced me she couldn’t sing. When I listened to “Revolution in me”, I was set straight. Siobhan has a brilliant voice and the way she showcases her voice in every track and definitely has a more distinct range and style than Mutya and Keisha.
Lyrics ///
Siobhan can write songs. No doubt about it. Every track has the kind of lyrics you’ve never really heard before and has something off center, yet clever about them. I’d never heard the phrase “Stronghold of commune” till I listened tot his album, that’s for sure. The only problem with the lyrics is that they aren’t that catchy. Some of the songs have titles which aren’t relevant to the song itself which means that very often you won’t remember the name of the track you’re listening to.
The album ///
As it stands, this is a very strong debut album and one which seems to be NOT getting the recognition it deserves. London records have a brilliant songwriter and artist on their hands and they are not doing her justice. It’s worth noting that the album was produced by Cameron McVey – the guy behind the Sugababes first album “One touch.” So he obviously took a liking to Siobhan from back when.
The tracks ///
1. Nothing but song: A great opening track which showcases Siobhan’s voice. A nice soulful track that would go down well live. This should have been a single and is one of the albums highlights.
2. Man without friends: An acoustic song with a nice hook. This is one of those tracks that no doubt would sound amazing live. A song I didn’t like at first, but grew on me.
3. Overrated: One of the best tracks on the album. It has a brilliant melody and those great off center lyrics that the album contains so much of. A track that never got the recognition it deserved.
4. Little bits: A nice slow track with a great melody. This track hooked me straight away.
5. As you like: One of the albums gems. It does sound a bit like “Promises” from the Sugababes’ “One touch” album, but has more of an edge to it. This is a track that really showcases her voice and the harmonies are heavy.
6. Next human (xy): A song most people like, but I’m not too keen on it. It has a nice beat, but the lyrics seem pointless and I have no idea what she’s trying to tell us.
7. Suasex: The best track on the album. The title has NO relevance to the song, but it is catchy and the beat is heavy. It sounds very Massive Attack, Neneh Cherry sounding, like those really gritty urban, UK r’nb tracks. This song showcases Siobhan’s voice in it’s entirety. Another track that should become a single and no doubt would get major air play.
8. Twist of fate: A nice rock sounding hook, but another one of those tracks everyone seems to like, that I don’t like. Not on of the albums best points.
9. Faces: A great song that would have been better to have been placed near the start of the album rather than the end. A nice track and shows off Siobhan’s more r’nb side to her vocals.
10. Dialect: A very edgy track that reminds me of that Godzilla track that Jamiroquai did. (Sorry can’t remember the name of it). Not one I listen to, but it’s still alright.
11. Revolution in me: A nice song, but considering the album is titled after this track, I don’t think it’s strong enough to stand on its own.
12. Iodine: Another one of those tracks where the title of the song has no relevance to the song itself. It’s a cleverly written song about the politics concerning Bush and Blair, but done in a subtle way. Shows that Siobhan isn’t ya average 19 year old girl.
Overall ///
All in all it’s a good album that showcases Siobhan’s ability to write darn good songs and her show off her vocal ability without over doing it. Siobhan has shown she has her own style at this early stage and London records should be careful not to lose her and let her fade into obscurity, because a lot of people are missing out on a brilliant artist. A great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really strong debut, 2 Dec 2003
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
I used to love the Sugababes and their 1st album is one of my faves however since Siobahn left they have gone a lot more pop. I was eagerly awaiting her solo debut album ever since I first heard overrated and it is even better than I expected.
She has a gorgeous voice and a really unique sound. A lot of the songs start and in the middle or towards the end will change completely in sound, which some may find strange and in some cases it would have been a total disaster, however it works really well here especially on songs like 'Man Without Friends'. All the songs are brilliant not a bad one on it and Xy is just really differnet and funky. Buy it now...

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent debut, 1 Oct 2003
A Dickinson "oddment84" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
Remember when the Sugababes were just starting out? Their debut album was far beyond what most people expected, and sounded so much older than their modest years. Some years later, and the star of that girl group, Siobhan Donaghy, has not only left the band, but released her own solo effort. Rather than follow her former bandmates in their quest to release commercial pop, Siobhan has decided to make music SHE wants to make. The end product of this is the stunning 'Revolution In Me'. At first glance, you might mistake this album for a simple progression of the Sugababes original style. However, it is so much more than this. Singles 'Overrated' and 'Twist of Fate' have that certain charm about them, that style, and they're both brilliant. However, dive into the other album tracks, and you find a much more sophisticated and thought-provoking type of song. 'XY' and 'Iodine' are excellent example of this. Siobhan has written some superb, intellegent tracks here, and with her unique and soulful voice, this debut ranks above many others by successful female artists, as well as the Sugababes debut! Well done Siobhan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Siobhan Donaghy - SUPERSTAR (Part 1), 21 Mar 2004
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
Firstly, I must say that the artwork on the album is superb. The foldout section contains 9 photographs of the luscious Siobhan in which see stares at the ground. Any of the photographs could have been the album cover, and this girl has certainly nothing to be staring at the ground about - as this album is a masterpiece that is far too unrecognised.
There are so many different flavours of music in "Revolution in Me" but at its heart it is an "Indie" gem. Starting with the sugary "Nothing But Song" we are introduced to the first deception. Although the music sounds sweet, the lyrics are full of angst. "I'll be gone till I'm gone," suggests that Siobhan feels she is not "all there" and the rest of the song implies that music is all she has. It is a fantastic opener, with its fake crowd noises, unfinished chords and Siobhan's spectacular voice. It serves as a great introduction.
"Man Without Friends" follows and is sort of mysterious. The title does not appear anywhere in the song, and if you are like me this makes you listen closer, to try and figure out why it was named thus. The song plods along, rather conservative and its "choruses" seem rather bland. Siobhan tells us about her lover who has met someone else, which has left her "un-nerved." Seconds off of the three minute mark, however, the song explodes into its real chorus. On the first listen it is a real surprise and gives the track life. It is worth the wait as the instruments become twice as loud and a funky guitar riff kicks in.
"Overrated" was the albums first single and did not achieve chart success. This was due to a mixture of rubbish promotion and the fact that all the decent songs nowadays fail to reach the top 10. It is a testament to how bad the music charts are. It is one of the albums "obviously" Indie tracks and is absolutely fantastic! Siobhan shows off her writing skills and proves where the real talent lay in the Sugababes (she penned "Overload" - one of the greatest girl band tracks ever). She also hits out at the state of affairs between Catholics and Protestants, singing "will I ever loose these old Catholic blues?" The track contains a rather pulsating bass that seems to go unnoticed but continues to build the song until the overwhelming chorus kicks in. The chorus is a work of art what with is cool bass and Siobhan asking questions which she doesn't seem to be able to answer herself. Perhaps this song is about her experiences in her former band where she was treated like dirt? Quite possibly...
"Little Bits" is the deepest song on the album where Siobhan openly talks about her depression. Disorientating at the start, it quickly carries forward its rather melancholy feel. Again, the lyrics are for the thinking man and are not some attempt to buy into the "vain" pop culture. Siobhan's album is truly about the music and personal experiences, both of which there is a lack of in the charts today. Doubters only have to listen to this track to realise that Siobhan is THE panacea for the music industry. The voice, the beat, the decorative "glockenspiel" notes all add up to a down right work of genius. The music sounds very angry and this is contrasted beautifully with the next track.
"As You Like It" is my favourite track on the album. It is very pop like and its repetitive nature getting cut off by the chorus is a treat! Siobhan's voice is excellent on this track. She tells us about someone who see obviously likes who doesn't seem to want to be around her - silly man. After the second chorus the simplest of guitar riffs kicks in but compliments the music spectacularly. After this part, the track drops and Siobhan sounds full of longing, which only builds into the chorus again. Singing on top of both the music and backing singers fairly loudly showcase what is, to me anyway, the best voice from a female artist in years. Truly individual and loveable, just like "Next Human (XY)"
This rather experimental track adds diversity in an album that has more genres in it than a No Doubt greatest hit collection. Instead of referring to boys and girls, Siobhan sings about "XX" and "XY" - the sex chromosomes that make us up. (Apparently her favourite magazine is New Scientist) Anyway, it is an adventurous track that takes the listener by the hand along its cute musical score - with a little cartoony glockenspiel being one of the main instruments along with piano accompaniment. It's weird and unusual but works to incredible effect. Siobhan has a great ability for making a song drop or change in a different direction quickly and this is shown here.
"Suasex" is another track where the title plays no relevance to the song. After her talking backwards on the telephone at the start, over some weird tune, Siobhan comes in very high. The song seems pretty average until the chorus kicks in and the key seems to change to major. It appears to be a song about a relationship, "melt my soul like you're a solvent". The stand out feature of the track, as in many in this album, is the voice. It cuts through everything and is breath of fresh air, particularly nearer the end of this track. The fade out involves people talking a foreign language. Why? Your guess is as good as mine is...
(End of part one of the review)

5.0 out of 5 stars Revoloutionary!, 25 Aug 2003
M Walton (Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
I know this hasn't been released yet, but I managed to get hold of a promo copy, and it lives up to all my (high) expectations. My personal favourites are "Overrated", "As You Like It", "XY", "Dialect", "Iodine" and new single "Twist Of Fate". An absolutely mind blowing album, which truly deserves to be a success, from a truly gifted young lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't flaw it at all!!, 9 May 2004
Steven Burns (Middlesbrough, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
This is seriously one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. It is a fresh new blend of adult-pop, soft rock and acoustic guitar music. Tracks such as "Man Without Friends" and "Twist Of Fate" are so well made they make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Siobhan has one of those voices that compliments the music so well you become addicted to listening.

It's very hard to talk about Siobhan without talking about the Sugababes, but this album doesn't really sound anything like a Sugababe one. It's more grown-up - we can probably relate to many of the tracks on this masterpiece! 5/5 for "Revolution In Me".
Whether you like great lyrics, great sounds or just listening to something fresh, this album is for you!

Revolution In Me
Revolution In Me by Siobhan Donaghy (Audio CD - 2003)