4.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 3 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: When I Pretend To Fall (Audio CD)
sublime, off kilter pop with gorgeous melodies and harmonies. This album epitomises classic song-writing, with some excelent witty lyricism, as well as intresting instrumentation. Part Beatles, part Byrds, part Death Cab et al. Fully fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of spring ..., 20 May 2006
This review is from: When I Pretend to Fall (Audio CD)
Before I get going and say a few rather uncomplimentary things about this album, I would like to say that I really like it (note the 4 stars). So, having got that out of the way ... I bought this album on the strength of the song Cinnamon from the Wedding Crashers soundtrack and which I loved. Partly, I think I was also hoping that by listening to some more of the band's stuff, I would get to make sense of some of the lyrics in Cinnamon.

Nope.

The Long Winters have a bit of a Procol Harum thing going on in that if you say that you understand the lyrics then you either know John Roderick and are therefore in on the joke, lying, or more probably, need to ease up on the drugs. Still, that's part of the appeal. The other thing that I tend to find about the songs is that a lot of them feel as though the band had a number of great riffs, beats, guitar sounds and tunes but put them together without worrying too much as to whether they fit and just shoehorned them into place. Strangely enough, for the large part the result is very good, if a little unconventional. I have had this CD on the player in the car for about a weeks and have listened to it over and over again, and am, in fact, listening to it now. I don't want to stop just yet.

On this album there are, in my opinion, three songs that really stand out and these are Blue Diamonds which has a very funky beat, Cinnamon which is just generally brilliant, and the much more rocky New Girl which is a real one for adopting an Angus Young pose and air guitaring across the floor. Songs which are very listenable to are Scared Straight, Shapes, Stupid, Prom Night At Hater High, and perhaps, if I'm in the mood, The Sound Of Coming Down. I put the remainder down as fillers, especially It's A Breeze which is incredibly dull.

It took me quite a few listens to really appreciate this album as it is strange in that it is one of the few albums I've come across where the verses of the songs are actually better than the chorus. Most songs tend to pootle along so that the chorus really stands out, whereas with most of the songs on this album the verses are very well crafted but the choruses come and go with little to mark them - especially in Shapes where the chorus bangs on a bit (more so for the fact that it's completely barking).

But, as I said earlier, most of it somehow works to make a pretty good album, and one that deserves more recognition that it's got so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Roderick, if he were British, I'd demand to have him knighted, 24 July 2012
Mr. N. S. Bellinger "Nix" (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When I Pretend to Fall (Audio CD)
If you like this, you'll like the Roderick on the line podcast.

John speaks in a wonderful all-knowing way, and he sings as if he's carrying early naughties indie on his shoulders.

Buy this album, I missed it at the time and I'm very sad about that...

When I Pretend to Fall
When I Pretend to Fall by The Long Winters (Audio CD - 2003)