Sk1

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid Rocks, 3 Dec 2003
Mr. M. Ogborn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sk1 (Audio CD)
I heard this guy on a radio station some time before he released the album and made a note to keep track of his progress. He sounded the freshest act I had heard in ages based on the few live songs he played. Well I can safely say that he delivered on the promise and this album has been abused on a regular basis in my CD player. I have also bought copies for friends, who now rave about him and his recent gig at the ICA was a tour de force. Go out and buy this album. He blows Badly Drawn Boy away and gives Beck a run for his money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Sk1 (Audio CD)
What a great album. SK is a fresh, inteliigent and above all relevantcommentator on society today. Every song strikes a chord somewhere withinyou, something not done properly since Jarvis Cocker. Staring At The Sun,the Commuter and Supertramps & Superstars are highlights for me, whilstAverage Man and Truck On seem odd choices for singles being socomparitvely weak. Even so, just buy it and go and see him live andgenerally support him 'cos he's absolutely fantastic and deserves to behuge.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Kids Alright, 21 Feb 2006
G Turpin (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sk1 (Audio CD)
On the whole a very strong first album. I would have given it five stars but felt that in places the lyrics and vocals needed a little bit of work. Still others would argue the vocals add to the post slacker low fi charm. Definitely one of the most exicting acts in the last few years.
If the Kid can keep writing tunes of this quality and with a good producer then he should be a major contender if there is any justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Kid, 8 Oct 2006
This review is from: Sk1 (Audio CD)
This album is a beautiful slice of lo-fi pop with enough outward influences to make it original. The comparisons to Blur and Damon Albarn in particular seem relevant (only after a work colleague pointed them out), and Supertramps and Superstars sounds just like Bowie at Hunky Dory period. This is a strong debut album. How this kid isn't huge yet, I don't know. And why can't I find his second album anywhere?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with purchase, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sk1 (Audio CD)
Bought online as a present for my husband after being unable to source it (or SK2) in the shops. Really enjoying it so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Quid, 19 April 2006
This review is from: Sk1 (Audio CD)
Just found this in Tesco's for 97 pence - yep less than a quid. Says something though doesn't it about the music business. Quality stuff finding its way into the supermarket bins next to all the crap supertastic 'Thats What I Call Music' leftovers. Never get that at Waitrose!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is very good, 11 Sep 2003
This review is from: Sk1 (Audio CD)
I bought this for no reason...I'd never heard any of his stuff before but I was definately impressed. Well I was after a while, the first song- 'hello' is probbably one of the worst songs I've ever heard but after I got over that I continued listening to the record and I really really like it.

Sk1
Sk1 by Simple Kid (Audio CD - 2003)