5.0 out of 5 stars Super landscape lens for full-size sensor
Published on 25 Jan 2010 by Darren Simons

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor corner sharpness on full frame
I've recently upgraded from a 40d to a 5d ii so needed something to replace the Sigma 10-20 WA I had. This seemed to fit the bill and although it's a nice lens in many ways, it suffers from poor corner sharpness on the 5dii when used at the wide end of its zoom range. It is particularly poor wide-open, not becoming acceptable until about f8 or f11. It's very sharp in...
Published on 26 Sep 2010 by Paul Kaye

5.0 out of 5 stars Super landscape lens for full-size sensor, 25 Jan 2010
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
I cannot recommend this lens enough... for wide angle landscape and travel photography this lens is superb. I have used this lens for several years on a Canon 5D and previously a Canon 300D and Canon 300 film and have always found the results to be superb. For cropped sensor cameras this is going to be circa 28-70mm so pretty good as a general purpose lens and perhaps good for portrait photography.

It sits within Canon's f4 series of L series lens (and is thus half the price of its big brother 16-35 L lens)... for me given that it is most likely you will be using this lens for landscapes and thus want lots of depth of field I'm not sure the f2.8 premium is justified (even for portraits unless you are a serious professional f4 should be fine). The colour saturation seems that much deeper with this lens than the equivalent consumer lens (eg. 28-135), the build is solid (as would be expected of an L series lens) yet being wide angle and containing less glass this is not that much more expensive than Canon's prosumer range of lenses (eg. the 28-135).

For wildlife photography I find this to be a particularly complimentary lens to the big zoom lens (eg. a Sigma 50-500) so you only need to travel with two lenses. The weight is not too bad (it's the lightest L series lens) and the focussing is fast. There is no image stabiliser but at this focal length that's not an issue. Only thing to be wary of is putting filter systems on the front of the lens... it's 77mm at the front so be careful with eg. Cokin P filter systems as you may get vignetting on a full size sensor camera (not an issue for the cropped sensors as far as I know).

5.0 out of 5 stars First lens I reach for when shooting landscapes, 7 July 2009
Andrew Mott "Andy Mott Photography" (Northwich, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
If you need a wide angle lens with superb build quality, weather resistance, great optics, superb colour and little distortion then buy this one.

I shoot a lot of landscapes, sometimes in harsh conditions like the English Lake district or French Alps, and need kit which will stand up to the abuse I give it. If I'm shooting landscapes then 99% of the time I reach for this lens, and if I'm climbing this is the only one I take. What more do I need to say?

I have also used this for group shots at weddings with great results (just ask the Bride!)

It's not light (but not really heavy as it's pretty simple with no IS), and not cheap by general standards (but cheap for an L series), but it does the job and does it very, very well.

I have noticed a little distortion at the very edges when close to the subject, but this is only to be expected at 17mm and for anyone with a crop sensor it probably won't be seen (I use a full-frame 5D). Other than that I have nothing but praise for this lens, and will get another (or it's direct replacement) if I ever kill or lose this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable UWA for full frame., 12 May 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
Having sold my Much loved Canon 10-22mm EFS lens a good few years ago when I moved up to a full frame 5D, I've been missing the ultra wide angle lens from my collection, my widest being the 24mm end of a 20-70 zoom. As it always the case in the bottomless pit that is photography, I finally took the plunge and chose this lens to reclaim that focal length!

It's very light for 'L' glass, but it delivers the goods as you would expect. It's now paired with a 5DMKIII and works very well, and has opened up the UWA world for me again! It's too short to be a walkabout lens for my tastes, but given it's weight and size, it's easy enough to carry around in the bag 'just in case' (although I do tend to leave the hood at home as it is very very wide and takes up a lot of space!).

Obviously as a f/4 lens, it's not the fastest, but it's good enough, and when paired with the low level light performance on the 5DIII, it's not an issue at all. Sharpness is as expected for 'L' glass zooms - great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp and well made, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
I use this lens with an EOS 40D. It feels well made and its as sharp as a tack. I'd been thinking of buying it for some time and after using it I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly my most used L lens!, 25 Jan 2010
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
If you are reading this then you know that this is one of the most useful zoom L lens and probably one of the cheapest L quality lens out there. If you have a crop body (which I did start with) it is a truly remarkable walk-around lens which would occupy serious time on my 450D. Its that good!

It has plenty of uses. Landscape and street photography is where this baby truly shines (on a fullframe 5d mk ii) I would normally stop this down to f8-f11 (sweet spot) and just shoot away. It is sharp! You'd be surprised in terms of sharpness even comparing with few of my primes (85mm 1.2L mkii and 100mm 2.8L IS)

There are times I wished that this is slightly faster for indoor photography (a bit slow at f4 aperture) but then again it can do preety much everything else. Grab the flash and problems solved.

The focusing speed is blindingly fast. Accurate without need for micro adjustment. Built like a tank and can take few serious knocks. Mine has! Phew! It is something I can't say about the 85mm 1.2L ii which would give me palpitations everytime it gets some time on the 5D (amazing lens though).

Its a great beginner lens too especially if you are like me, start small and then get sucked in into the world of photography. In no time at all you'll have a FF (full frame) with few quality L lenses. Not to mention down by few thousands euros! Ouch!

Enjoy snapping and don't tell me I didn't warn you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra Wide wonder, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
I already own the Canon 10-22mm for my crop sensor bodies but decided my Canon 6d deserved the L series touch. I got the Canon 17-40mm L and it's as wide as the 10-22mm and as sharp. This lens is a wonderful addition to my kit. I already own the 24-105, 70-200 F2.8 is and the 100-400mm L. This lens looks solid. The lens hood is the same as the 10-22mm however there are marked differences. The L series 17-40mm is sharp as a razor and not heavy at all. I can't see any bad points at all with this lens. It isn't a fast lens at F4 maximum however for landscapes and interiors such as churches I prefer to stop down to F8 or so. No image stabiliser but with a sturdy tripod who needs it on this lens.
The canon 17-40mm is a well constructed lens and sealed against the elements. With this and the 24-105mm added with my Canon 6d its all I need for a holiday jaunt.

If you own a full frame Canon then this is THE wide angle zoom for you. It's a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for buck, 23 Dec 2008
J. Lozier - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
Excellent lens if you want the following:

L Quality (top of the line build, optical and autofocus performance)
Weather Sealing (you need a UV Filter such as Hoya 77mm Pro1D Protector to complete the sealing)
Full frame compatability (incase you want to upgrade/allready have you)

Not so good if you want:

Something Cheap (although is one of the cheapest L lenses)
Something Light (well, light as the kit 18-55mm)
Something that won't draw attention
Soemthing for indoor low light situations (unless you are comfortable using flash) - get the 50mm f/1.8 or someting equal to or as fast as f/2.8

In conclusion, if you're thinking of spending top dosh on a wide/zoom lens , then you probably want to consider this one, but if you have cash to burn and can handle a little extra weight, go for the 16-35mm f/2.8 which is a stop faster (although sacrifices 4mm in zoom range)

The color, contrast, build quality, and autofocus speed with blow you away if you're stuck on the kit lens or if you've never used an L lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing all rounder lens, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
I currently use the Canon 17-40mm on a Canon 600D which is an entry level D-SLR and Crop sensor. I use it mostly for portrait and strobist photography. As well as landscape photography on the weekends.

Pro's
Strong build
Sharp images
Really Fast focus's compared to my old Sigma 18-50mm and the standard Canon kit lens

Con's
Well only that it stops down to F/4.0 but I shoot with strobes so not a real issue at all really.
Lens hood could of been nicer I think its a little wide and not to keen on flower shaped hoods, but I assume this if for the full framed camera users and needs to be this way.

Great lens glad it was my first L lens & would recommend to anyone who is looking to upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great walk around for crop frame, 3 Jan 2009
Mr. P. Greene "Pat" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
I was bitten by the 'L' bug when I bought my 70-200 zoom, this lens has replaced my 17-85 IS USM; in itself not a bad lens but not a patch on this one.

Always sharp, constant aperture means less mucking about when zooming, a joy to handle and a great buy at this price. Is now my walk around lens on my crop frame EOS40D, yes I miss the zoom but I wanted the wide angle this (and only this) zoom provides at this price.

Rock solid you gets what you pay for, all zoom is internal so nothing to poke out which i also like. Great resale value, but i shall be keeping for when full frame DSLR becomes the norm. An investment you cant regret; you will love this lense !

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a lens, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Accessory)
I pretty much exclusively shoot landscape shots on a Canon 5D Mk II and had previously used a 24-105mm L f/4. Now, the 24-105 is an excellent all-round lens, but at 24mm it has massive barrel distortion - this is well known - so I usually have to correct this distortion if there's any kind of straight-line horizon in shot, which obviously affect the quality of the pixels even with the most sophisticated lens correction software. This hasn't really bothered me that much except on a few shots which I'd really have liked the crispness to have been retained at source instead of using faux sharpness with the sharpness filter.

So, when I got this lens I did so specifically to use it at the 20-24mm range, not the 17mm side of things (as zoom lenses often perform at their best when in the middle of their range). I did some extensive tests when I got it and can categorically state that at around 21mm there is practically ZERO distortion. In fact between 20-24mm distortion is negligible, and certainly not anything I'd have to correct (Yey!), but at 21mm it's just sublime as far as distortion goes.

The 2nd surprise was how much sharper this lens is than the 24-105. I did side-by-side comparisons of some complex textures and this lens simply blows the 24-105 out of the water at around 24mm, especially at the sweet-spot of f/11, although it's still very usable at f/16, and certainly better than the 24-105 at the same apertures.

Now, for my needs (which is quite specific in that I will only use this lens at around 24mm) it is a superb lens which I would find difficult to match even in a prime, and as I always use apertures of f/11 or smaller for my landscape work, the fact that it's an f/4 lens is of no odds to me.

However, if you are buying this to use the 17mm side of things then I'm afraid that I can't really comment on its use as that's not why I bought it. Similarly, if you are buying this as a general purpose zoom I'd reconsider because 17-40 is too narrow a zoom range and I'd suggest you go for the 24-105 instead for this case.

As a 21mm-24mm landscape lens at f/11 or smaller though, it's hard to beat - and the price is excellent too.

Oh, incidentally, before I bought this I bought the 16-35 MkII f/2.8 and at 21-24mm and f/11 this lens is actually superior. The 16-35 exhibited some distortion at that range whilst this one does not. So, I didn't buy this lens because I couldn't afford the 16-35 MkII, I bought it because it was the better lens for my personal (and specific) needs.

Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens