5.0 out of 5 stars Minor tinkering
As an upgrade from Money 2003, there probably is not enough here to justify the price.
There is a new Credit Centre which helps manage your debts. Potentially useful, although if you are using Money properly you will already have a good handle on your debts.
Published on 14 Sep 2003 by Tom Douglas

3.0 out of 5 stars upgrade from Money 2000
I only bought this because I felt I needed to upgrade from Money2000, just to make sure my software was still "current". I only use the sofware for personal finances. The actual installation went very well- the sofware recognises you have already got an earlier version installed, and converts everything to the new version effortlessly.
As for whether it was all worth...
Published on 19 Feb 2004 by monkeyspank

5.0 out of 5 stars Minor tinkering, 14 Sep 2003
Tom Douglas (Marlow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
There is a feature that helps you create a Will (England & Wales only), and there are minor tweaks to the front page and the reporting tools.
And of course there is increased integration with the internet, especially MSN Money.
If you are considering Money 2004 as a new purchase, rather than an upgrade to Money 2003, or you are upgrading from an older version, then I strongly recommend you to make the purchase.
For a long time Money was an inferior product (inferior to Quicken especially), but Microsoft have put in the hours to make it the best product on the market.
Money is now simple to use as a beginner, but with hidden depths for those who need more - exporting to Excel being one example.
Money DOES make a significant difference to the management of your personal finances, making it easier to save (or simply reduce debt), without you needing any expert knowledge.
In short, it will pay for itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Money, 13 Sep 2003
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
I have used Quicken previously and considered it pretty good. On upgrading, however, (2000-2001) it lost a deal of functionality eg downloading from banks etc. This may have improved, but reviews for QuickenXG seem to suggest otherwise. At this point I grumbled and decided that I had no choice but to buy another piece of Microsoft software. However, consider now that I have access to Microsofts free online knowledge base, a free online users forum etc etc. There are few issues that I cannot resolve or work around. Significant improvement for me are (from Money 2001)- the ability to enter individual payslips many months in advance (eg for receipt of payment or Xmas bonus), account specific budgeting (i.e. does not simply use last account for category - though this is an option), much improved layout and simpler, more useful topline menus and icons. Also, shares can be sorted by type fitting in with new systems (e.g. options, purchase). All in all sound and works well. Nearly forgot, online banking is a breeze and I've just balanced nearly a years staements in less than 30 mins! Money have a list of online availability for all Major UK banks on their website .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, building on previous successes., 7 May 2004
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
I have used Money 99 and 2000, and found them to be useful, but outdated by changes in tax law, etc (such as abolition of MIRAS). Money 2004 is comprehensive (there isn't anything I want to do that I can't), easy to use, and robust (it's never *knock on wood* crashed on me or come up with an error message).
I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product when you have money to play with!, 25 April 2004
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
It certainly makes you more aware of where and what you're spending moneyon. My mum has always been pestering me to get my act together and Ifinally decided to do something about it. This product works particularlywell with online banking and is generally stress free with downloadingelectronic statements from the internet. I am still fairly unfamiliarwith it though and I did find certain occasions when it didn't balance. However that was when I realised I have replicated some entries and it wasquite easy to remedy. As with all software, I guess you just have topersevere with it and then eventually it all becomes clear. There is alsoa debt management section which I am trying to use... determined not to bescared of money (small m) and this software package seems to be helping!

3.0 out of 5 stars upgrade from Money 2000, 19 Feb 2004
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
As for whether it was all worth it, I'm still undecided. The graphics are a little bit slicker, but basically everything is just the same as with Money2000. The main difference seems to be with the "internet connectivity" side of things- there is even MORE emphasis on being able to download statements etc straight from the websites of the banks etc. I remain suspicious of the security issues surrounding this feature, consequently I do not use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Money 2004, 22 Sep 2003
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
For a first time buyer Money is a good product and I suspect the best around for most people. However it is not easy justifying an upgrade from an earlier recent version due to the limited enhancements in 2004 for your money.
However the thing that has annoyed me is that my bank (Nationwide) does not yet support Money 2004, despite the MS advertising, and will not commit to a date when they will. I wonder if other banks have the same issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some thing to think about, 22 Aug 2004
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
I have been down-loading electronic statments now for over eight months. Since then I have changed my finances and stuck to a relativly felxible budget. The advice in the program is practical, and more importantly it is relative to my fanaces. The goal orientated planners are fantastic as are the reports. One problem I have with this program is that two identical names on an electronic statemt down-load will confuse the program and try matching the down-load to something else. However, this program does what I need it to in a reliable and practical way. I look forward to the next release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy, 6 Dec 2003
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
I've tried Quicken, Sage and Money.
Money is the best.
Once installed (more later), it is easy to configure and set up. Creation of accounts, categories and direct debits are now simpler too. They have also fixed some minor irritations that existed before, like when entering a payee where you had similar ones, to have to type the whole name! Now you can quickly select from a list.
Downside is still not being able to have two windows open at once! It isn't a browser, so I don't know why it should act like one.
Also my installation didn't go too well. It installed on XP Professional, but when I ran Money, it just came up with an error and crashed. Microsoft support tried but after three weeks still had no real solutions. As luck would have it, my hard disk failed so I had to reinstall XP anyway, and then Money installed fine...although I don't really recommend this course of action!
In summary, great. For the price, just get it and start organising all those receipts you don't know what to do with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 2 Oct 2003
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
Having used Quicken in the past, I converted to the Money series and have been using it for several years now. Prior to Money 2004, I was using Money 2000 and this is one helluva upgrade. It does everything I need and a whole lot more that I dont personally need. The interface is a little cluttered and navigation isn't exactly intuitive, but aside from those little niggles I really cannot live without this program!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaaaaaaah, finally decent support for multiple currencies, 13 Sep 2003
This review is from: Money 2004 (CD-ROM)
I was a longtime Quicken user, till I moved from San Francisco to London a couple of years ago and needed to track accounts in both places. I simply can't believe how hard it is to even get information about whether and how personal financial software packages handle multiple currencies!! At the time I gave up and just handled my finances manually for awhile. This year it all got to be too much - expat taxes & finance are so laborious to manage and we have accounts in dollars, sterling and euro. So I had another look around. Quickly ditched the idea of going back to Quicken because everyone seemed so unhappy with the latest upgrade. After searching high and low I found a very brief comment somewhere that appeared to indicate that Money04 supports accounts in any currency... I decided to take the risk and bought it hoping that meant it was full-featured in all currencies. - I'm still working on setup now but thus far I love it. Intuitive and displays everything in both currencies. It would be nice if the online features didn't limit you to one country but that's alright.

Money 2004
Money 2004 by Microsoft Software (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Used & New from: 15.00