5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, productive and powerful
Published on 3 Oct 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I bought this product rather than Adobe Photoshop Elements/ Album mainly on the grounds of price. Big mistake!
I was particularly interested in the image storage/ retrieval/ archive abilities of this software, and all the reviews suggested that this was a strong point. However, it is very poor compared with Photoshop Album. In particular:
- it does not catalogue...
Published on 4 Jun 2004 by Andrew Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, productive and powerful, 3 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
I am a digital photographer and I wanted an image manipulation software package which is easy to use yet powerful to manipulate images. I had been using photoshop but problem is even for simple tasks require quite a lots of steps and all u want to do is fix something real quick without sacrificing quality. In that respect digital image suite is an excellent choice. Excellent windows interface makes it really easy to perform many commonly used tasks. Image library module is quite useful to manage rapidly increasing images on your drive. From capturing to printing, everything is quite straightforward and intuitive. Also I found its library of templates quite useful for printing various cards like business and birthdays.
If you are working for a professional company then sure photoshop is best choice but if you want to manipulate and manage images without knowing too much theoretical details about images, this is the excellent software for everything u want to do with your images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal photo software for the non-professional, 31 Dec 2003
Bobby Elliott (Erskine, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
I've been looking for the "ideal" photo processing software for a long time. I tried lots of programs - ranging from the complex (such as Photoshop - including the latest (CS) version) and the less demanding (such as Paint Shop Pro). But something was missing from them all. Photoshop makes the most routine operations unnecessarily complicated (have you ever tried to remove red-eye using PS?) and the alternatives were too simple for my needs.
Microsoft have got it just right with Digital Image Suite (DIS). It has two parts - a "libary" program which organises your photos and an "editing" program which enhances them. The library module is great and almost makes cateloguing them fun! It has a unique "rating" system which allows you to grade each photo and a built-in CD writing feature to archive your photos. The editing module has lots of handy built-in functions too - such as red-eye, wrinkle and blemish removal. Within a couple of hours of use I was able to remove objects from pictures (using the intelligent eraser) and even add some hair to my head!
The editor also provides advanced features such as multi-layers and it supports PhotoShop filters. It makes converting between file formats and changing file sizes for different purposes (printing, e-mail, web etc.) very straight-forward.
Every now and again you use a program that just clicks (Word and Excel are examples). Digital Image Pro is one of those programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to use, powerful and quick., 10 Jan 2004
mr_ska (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
I have a digital camera, and although I am no professional, I do take a lot of pictures. I had been using Paint Shop Pro 7 to work on my images and tidy up my many 'mistakes' and I was getting reasonable results, but it was a slow process.
One of my friends recommended Microsoft's Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 so I thought I would give it a go, and I am really glad I did! The installation was quick and was easy, and when I started it up the first time I found it very easy to pick up and use, the 'Task Pane' and icons being very user friendly.
Getting rid of stuff like 'red eye' on my photos is a breeze now, it just takes a couple of clicks and it is done automatically, and there are some great tools for getting rid of things that you don't want in the frame (like your finger on the edge of the picture!) The suite also has the ability to do the same 'job' to a lot of pictures in a batch, which is a real time saver.
I have seen my speed at processing my images and sorting them into folders and so on go right up since swapping to Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 and a lot of that has to do with the archival and retrieval system which finds whatever picture I am after double quick, and makes filing almost totally automatic.
Overall It looks like Microsoft have got another winner here, the tasks that you have to do a lot of are done really quickly and with very high quality results. The suite is also really easy to get to grips with, and the whole thing is very intuitive to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars So close to perfect!, 26 Feb 2004
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
I have tried photo editing s/w since before there was a Adobe photoshop. Photoshop is great if you work with it every day. But many simple task are impossible to remember how-2 if you only use them occasionally. On the other hans Elements cant do simple things you expect. (and still little clumbsy like PS)
The combination of Library and a new interfaced Picture IT is awsome. They work seamlessly together. I am only missing a few things in order to give it maximum stars. It is a bit on the slow side, it needs to have simple operations like cropping and quick level fix in Library (just like MS Office Picture manager), also the Office Picture manager have a view where you have a series of pictures in the bottom and a large copy above. This I REALLY need and sometime I dont open Library, just because it is a little bit easier to view and make simple cropping and color changes with Office Picture manager. implement these simple functions in Library and you have maximum stars for the best program for amateur and semiprofessional users as well.
I take 50-100 photos a week with my Canon Eos 300 SLR, I edit almost every one. And this package is - almost - perfect!
Bill, I hate to say it. You have made an outstanding product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further then Microsoft Digital Imaging Suite 9.0, 7 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
I have quite alot of photo editing packages which I never fully understood, that was until I bought this package. You will be up & running editing those pics and having great fun in no time. I would have to agree with other reviewers and say this package is really intuitive to use. The cataloging feature is outstanding, you can allocate keywords to each pic you take, which will allow you reference them from thousands of photos as your collection builds. You can creat slide shows, add narrations and background music. The package comes on 2 CDs and is a dream to install - only draw back is that a full installaion will set you back 1.3 Gigabytes of hard disk space - the typical installation is only about 300 mb but you will have to use the disks to reference some of the frames or mats you will use to enhance your photos, and as a laptop user this is not ideal. If you take anything from this review, take this, save yourself time and effort and click add to basket now!! you won't be dissappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity in Photo Editing, 18 Feb 2004
A. Sinclair (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
If like myself you have tried packages from Adobe, and other competitors and become bogged down in over complicated menu and sub menus then this is the product for you.
Most packages are designed for complex air-brushing, touching-up (for web design and graphic use) not for general home use, therefore this software is a breath of fresh air.
Like most Microsoft products, this is simple to use, and easy to edit, archive and print pictures from any source. The interface is simple, and commands are easy to access to do some great stuff (simple to advanced use.) The tutorials and help are excellent, making an altogether great package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Digital Image suite 9, 13 Feb 2004
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
Although it grieves me to say this about Microsoft,they have produced a really good product here. It is intuitive to use and has an attractive interface. I have tried to get to grips with Paint Shop Pro 7 in the past and never really managed it, but Image suite 9 was very easy. It may not have all the whistles and bells of Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop but it is very much easier to use. This package will be perfectly ok for 95% of most amateur photographers and I would certainly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Jun 2004
Andrew Smith "andydsmith4" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 (CD-ROM)
- it does not catalogue video clips - Photoshop album does this and will display the clip in its own player.
- the use of keywords is very limited - Photoshop album has a system that uses categories and subcategories, but this product just gives you a simple uncategorised keyword list.
- most critically, the archive wizard fails to write backup CDs on my system. Unless I can get this to work the main reason for buying the software does not exist.
I've not had much time to explore the photo editing part of the software. This appears adequate, but rather slow.

Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004
Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 2004 by Microsoft Software (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Out of stock