5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT
Well here we have a periodic drama with the Gorgeous Jared Leto, who plays a rich aristocrat's son of a multi billionaire, although wealth brings power and strength does it also bring common sense or empathy? Tension mounts between father and son as both have different ideas where Jared's future lies.

Jared a down to earth kind of boy longs for passion and...
Published on 18 Nov 2009 by Ric 1912

3.0 out of 5 stars Period revenge intrigue
Published on 16 May 2010 by June R from Oz

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 18 Nov 2009
Ric 1912 (Aberdeen Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Basil [DVD] [1998] (DVD)

Jared a down to earth kind of boy longs for passion and romance and adventure and finally finds it in the shapely figure of Claire Forlani, who is totally gorgeous in the movie. However, life is never a bed of roses and a chance encounter with the talented Christian Slater proves to be a destined distraction full of mischief,and double dealings or was it all planned?

Really enjoyed this film, has many good points, supported by an ample qualified set of actors and actresses, along with some really clever twists of fate that will keep you glued and intrigued, whilst trying to wonder just how twisted this story can get. I was well intrigued throughout and certainly not dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jared Leto Shines, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Basil [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
I purchased this dvd as I am a huge fan of the actor Jared Leto whether he is acting or playing in his band 30 Seconds to Mars. I was drawn to this product mainly for the cast and the fact that I have a love of costume dramas. Basil is a fantastic tale of family, love, beytrayal and tragedy and I would recommend it to anyone. I simply LOVE this film and will admit to having rewatched it at least 50 times in the short period that I have owned it. If you love Jane Austen novels/movies or indeed any kind of costume drama I would throughly recommend that you check this movie out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 5 Sep 2010
This review is from: Basil [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
A beautiful story of love and betrayal. Basil is a naive in love young aristocrat. John is a lower class young man, looking to revenge his past. The characters are very well played by Jared Leto and Christian Slater. A movie worth to be seen more than once.

3.0 out of 5 stars Period revenge intrigue, 16 May 2010
This review is from: Basil [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
I didn't know anything about this DVD before I saw it on Amazon and thought I might like it because of the era and also I like Christian Slater. I was a bit disappointed and I have to say I did not like it much. It is quite miserable and dark and the characters have no redeeming qualities. I find Claire Forlani beautiful, but a wooden actress with very predictable expressions. Others might like this movie but I'm afraid I don't really find too much to recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excpected more, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Basil [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
Honestly story line is rubbish. I see what they try to make& they fail.
Waste of cash for costumes& decorations. I think only ultimate fans of cast could bare to watch whole movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little-known Christian Slater film., 16 Nov 2006
robertsmike (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Basil [DVD] (DVD)
Virtually unreleased in the cinemas, this is a fine adaptation of Wilkie Collins novel. The story of passion , betrayal, vengeance & revenge,is a timeless idea, and this film handles it well. With excellent performances from a very good cast, it deserved a better distribution, and much wider recognition. Christian Slater is always excellent, and hopefully soon he'll get a role which propels him back to where he should be ..as a top leading man, maybe then this film (one of many he's made recently without much of a fanfare), will be re-issued !.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy overall, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Basil [DVD] (DVD)
Purchased for a big Jared Leto fan. They were happy with it, and as it was a good price, I can't complain either :) the delivery was fast, but the DVD case was a bit broken in places. Just replaced the case and it was fine :)

5.0 out of 5 stars jared leto and his accent!, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Basil [DVD] (DVD)
i watched this film before i bought it and i wasn't sure if i would like it first but i fell in love with Jared letos character he just doesn't know anything about love or friendship this film is really good and keeps you watching because of the plot a must see film and is a good price

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm..., 22 Jan 2014
Jess Munro (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Basil [DVD] (DVD)
This film had the potential to be a great period drama. Romance, aristocracy, class division, betrayal and a great cast. I found the film by chance, and was quite excited to watch it.
However, as the film develops around our protagonist Basil, so comes the great misfortune in which Jared Leto has to open his mouth and speak. Now, I usually have no qualms with Letos' performance and have never found his acting to be stale or wooden before, but every line is delivered as if he is reading it from a Cue sheet, (in a language he doesn't quite understand) upside down. This immediately taints the film, espcially as the rest of the cast don't seem to have this difficulty, and manage to speak non monotonously and at a normal pace.
Next, bring in a pretty unbelievable series of events, (I won't give too much away, but if you are to purchase 'Basil', be sure to look out for Christian Slaters' final scene before the film ends and have yourself a chuckle) resulting in this interesting little film, with no where near half the power as any of the classics.

Perhaps, if Jared Leto was replaced by an actual Basil plant to play the role, the film could have had a little more sustenance?

4.0 out of 5 stars This film is so bad it is brilliant., 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Basil [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
This film is a terrible film but because it is so bad it is really enjoyable. Leto & Slater are great actors but cannot pull off old English gentlemen at all and the story is just slightly ridicules. Do buy it, rent it, watch it! It is so worth it! Very entertaining!

Basil [DVD]
Basil [DVD] by Radha Bharadwaj (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: 0.30