4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Hit and Miss, But Mostly A Hit., 19 July 2012
This review is from: Her Majesty The Decemberists (Audio CD)
I've always found Her Majesty to be a bit lacking, especially in comparison to the following Picaresque and the preceding Castaways and Cutouts. It does however, contain some classic songs and has a more upbeat sound that its predecessor. However, there are just some songs that for whatever reason, never struck me in the way that songs on other albums did.

Shanty For The Arethusa is an eiree, atmospheric opener utilising the sounds of creaking floorboards and a scream. It is a pirate-like anthem and a good opener. Billy Liar is a contrast to the dark opener, with its upbeat melody and quirky la, da, da's at the end. It is the third track however, that lets the album down. Los Angeles, I'm Yours isn't terrible, others might even like it, but I find it to be musically dull in comparison to the other tracks.

Things look up with The Gymnast, High Above The Ground, a long, but stunning ballad with a memorable outro that alone will keep you returning to this track. It is followed by The Bachelor and The Bride, a song carried by some dark, but wonderful lyrics that gives a great story. Again there is a slight downturn after two good tracks. The Song For Myla Goldberg has grown on me, but I find it a little too cheesy for my tastes. Luckily, we have the excellent, Soldiering Life, the beautiful, Red Right Ankle and another dark tale in The Chimbeny Sweep.

The final two tracks a are also great. I Was Meant For The Stage has a slow build up leading into a violent creshendo of noise, which leads us into the simple, yet merry little ditty, As I Rise. It is by no means a standout track, but a wonderful, short end to a great record.

And so, you can tell that this is by no means a failure of a record. It is just let down by two weak tracks that deny it that final fifth star. If you are interested in The Decemberists, I would go for either Picaresque, Castaways and Cutouts or their EP 5 Songs, because they don't contain one single dud track at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary Pop at its Best, 16 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Her Majesty The Decemberists (Audio CD)
I've heard The Decemberists compared to Belle & Sebastian, and although I'm sure B&S fans would enjoy this album, I don't think the comparison really does The Decemberists justice.
Belle & Sebastian stick to songs about the ironies and awkwardness of growing up in modern Britain, whereas The Decemberists sing about the fragility and turmoil of life in the 19th Century. The music isn't ironic either, it's sincere, and you can't help but be drawn into their world.
There's certainly a vast number of good, even great, indie pop bands around at the moment (Death Cab for Cutie, the Shins, Neutral Milk Hotel), but I think the Decemberists are in a class of their own, if only because they stick to and enjoy their subject matter so devotedly. I don't think there's a song on the album which doesn't feature the trademark organ.
I highly recommend 'Castaways and Cutouts', their first album, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not their very best..., 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Her Majesty The Decemberists (Audio CD)
Not their strongest album, but still well worth having for any fans of the band. Personal favourite tracks Los Angeles I'm Yours, and The Bachelor and the Bride

5.0 out of 5 stars raw but superb for those tired of guitar bashing heavy indie, 23 July 2004
K. Burgess (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Her Majesty The Decemberists (Audio CD)
just when i was beginning to get sick of the "guitar-bashing" indie bands who thrash out an album full of noisy, discordant, identical songs, i came across "Her Majesty" by The Decemberists. it is such a refreshing album. it is not afraid to branch out in terms of its arrangement, its instruments and its lyrics, and absorbs you totally into this lost and misty world.
they sound raw, its true, and the lolling american accents are not as clipped and trained as those or maroon 5, but it totally suits their music. buy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Majesty the Decemberists, 18 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Her Majesty The Decemberists (Audio CD)
I have just started listening to them after a friend recommended them to me. I think that they are so good that I now have all titles issued by them. Really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decemberists Band, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Her Majesty The Decemberists (Audio CD)
See comments on Long live the King.This CD is another great collection of music from the USA I enjoy all their music.

Her Majesty The Decemberists
Her Majesty The Decemberists by The Decemberists (Audio CD - 2011)