Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 13 January 2004
Thumbelina is a truly enchanting animation!
I was first introduced to it at the age of 8, I was completely overwhelmed by the exciting and original characters, I am now 17 and I still adore the story and its music.
It revolves around Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale, but a little jazzed up.
Thumbelina feels alone and lost in this big world as she thinks that she is the only small person. Her mother may tell her of fairies and happy endings but it is still a dream. That night she meets Cornelius, the fairy Prince and her true love.
They sing a beautiful duet together, let me be your wings, the concept is dreamy and romantic! But that night she is kidnapped by a toad. Winter is approaching and it is a dangerous time for so small a person.
She feels even more lost than before, for she is but the size of your thumb. Will she find Cornelius again and find her way home?
Buy this film and you'll find out for yourself.
on 29 April 2007
I watched this movie several times as a kid and when I saw it on Amazon I just had to buy it.

This is truly an animated masterpiece and I would recommend anyone to buy this dvd. The movie is based on H.C. Andersens story 'Tommelise' where the little girl Thumbelina (who's no bigger than a thumb) falls in love with the fairy prince and then gets kidnapped by some gypsy toads.

If you like the Disney classic princess movies I'm sure you'll like this movie :D
on 16 August 2009
I watched this film first when I was very little (about 6 or 7) my mum bought it for me and I absolutely loved it. Couldn't stop watching it for the first few weeks. Then at about the age of 12 I found it hidden somewhere and decided to watch it again. I didn't think I would enjoy it at this age - but I was clearly mistaken! - I loved it just as much as before!!!! The character's are played superbly!! I absolutely love Thumbelina and her cute little laugh and smile. She's a very interesting character and portayed brilliantly! The love story between Thumbelina and the fairy prince Cornelius is very sweet and loveable. I did find the swallow Jacquimole slightly annoying after a while if I'm totally honest. But the rest of it I loved - particularly the songs! 'Let Me Be Your Wings' and 'Soon' were particular favourites all very sweet and romantic. A truly marvelous film! :)
on 17 April 2013
I still have the DVD from way back and was hoping for a proper (European) Blu-Ray version. Since I'm Dutch and no Dutch version is in the planning, I purchased the U.S. version after carefully reading several websites that listed it as an region A AND B version (even though on the cover it only lists this Blu-Ray as region A).
The movie itself looks far more darker than I remembered (I haven't checked back with the DVD version) and colors don't seem to be consistent. They look a bit off!
Also, it looks like not much effort has been put into the restoration process. White spots appear everywhere but not at all as bad as on the Blu-Ray of Ferngully.
But still, it is nice to have it on Blu-Ray with DTS HD 5.1 Master Audio.

There a just a few languages and subtitles listed on the cover but here's the overview (I hope I got it right):

Languages:
English DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 - English DD 2.0 - Castillian DD 5.1 - French DTS 5.1 - Spanish DTS 5.1 - Danish DTS 5.1 - German DTS 5.1 - Italian DTS 5.1 - Czech DD 2.0

Subtitles:
English - Spanish - French - Spanish - Danish - German - Italian - Swedish
on 28 February 2014
Bought for my granddaughter to watch when she comes to stay on weekend and we have watched this together about dozen times since it arrived. Each time we watch it she notices something new about one of the bugs or animals and I love her interpretation of the story she sees good in everyone nobody it naughty. The fact that Thumberlina was born from a flower and is so little just seems natural to her and the faries are a bonus as she is a big Tinkerbell fan. This DVD was good value and lot cheaper than other DVD I have bought for her to watch and she loves it just as much.
on 23 February 2012
I watched this when I was a child, and it had such a power over me! I loved the characters, but also was terrified of others. The romance was incredible too.

When I watched it recently, having forgotten what the story was about, I assumed that I would be disappointed; after all, most films you watch when you're little and then when you're older tend to be disenchanted somehow. But this was not the case with this film! Please watch it if you haven't already. It is a classical wonder!
on 6 May 2011
This movie will always be special to me. I remember this from when I was 6 years old, I'm now 22 and I still adore it. For those people who say that it loses it's appeal as one gets older and doesn't have the same spark as Disney films, I have to say that I whole heartedly disagree. I am an Animation and Visual Effects graduate and I find myself preferring Don Bluth films to Disney films frequently. Don Bluth actually worked for Disney (which is probably why people are saying it's Disney-esque) and eventually left due to it's declining standards and formed his own company vowing to resurrect the magic that was once found in classic Walt Disney movies.

Thumbelina is artistically stunning, the effects are magical and the characters are extremely lovable and quirky. All of Don Bluth's films are artistic masterpieces and Thumbelina is no different; it has a unique and captivating style. The music is beautiful and it should be considering Jodi Benson is the voice of Thumbelina (she was also the voice of Ariel in The Little Mermaid) The voice of The Beetle is also unmistakingly recognisable as the voice of Iago in Aladdin.

All I can say is a big thank you Mr Bluth for giving us such beautful movies when Walt Disney lost it's way ever so slightly... Pete's Dragon anyone!!!
on 11 January 2014
I have seen this lovely movie the first time about twenty years ago on a video cassette borrowed from an old video store somewhere in Asia. What a wonderful surprise to find it now on this colourful DVD.
I am really touched by the songs which are beautifully sang and the drawings which are so sweet.
A simple and very well balanced film which is good for any age and anytime!
on 28 September 2010
Thumbelina is a wonderful wonderful movie. My girls absolutely adore it. I don't know what's better - the music or the story itself. The illustrations are beautiful and colourful, and the music is very danceable, happy and uplifting. We turn it up all the way while we watch the movie.
I only wish the soundtrack wasn't so expensive ($50) so that I could purchase it as well ;)
on 21 June 2014
I can't really comment on the DVD because it was sent as a gift to my niece, as a 'just because' present! I'm sure she'll love it.