5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class, 1 Aug 2003
This review is from: Homespun - Homespun (Audio CD)
A strange but refreshing collaboration here between Sam Brown (80’s hit with ‘stop’) and Dave Rotheray (Beautiful South guitarist and co-songwriter). I heard about this album through my love of the beautiful south and was anxiously awaiting its release. It’s not a disappointment in the slightest, its sound is hard to describe, easy listening, country, and soul are a few genres that spring too mind. Sam Browns vocals are AMAZING while Rotherays song writing is touching. If you like Beautiful South or Sam Brown it’s a must buy, if you want an alternative to trashy pop this album is for you as well. All I can do is urge you to buy it, so do it now buy buy buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Mar 2004
T. J. Davis "TDavis" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homespun - Homespun (Audio CD)
I bought this album because of Sam Brown. Being a fan of Jools Holland, I knew how well Sam can sing (I also have her 43 minutes album), so I had to buy this to see what it was like.
All I can say is brilliant. Although quite melancholy at times, it is also very refreshing. The recordings have a type of sound texture that makes you feel like they are sat in front of you, playing to an audience of one. Anyone who knows and likes Sam MUST buy this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars An ironing classic!, 11 Jun 2004
This review is from: Homespun - Homespun (Audio CD)
If i said that this album is perfect for doing the ironing to would you know what I meant? Listening to it You probably won't dance but you'll shuffle in time, you probably won't cry but you'll go 'aaaww' in sympathy, and you probably won't laugh out loud but you'll generally have a really snug, warm, happy glow from the whole experience.
Nice is such a useless word but this REALLY is a very nice album. The (mostly acoutsic) songs are like the Beautiful South but without the cynicism and the singing from Sam Brown is of course excellent. If any Sam fans know her long term support band MOSES - Homespun is a bit like them but cuddlier.
Best songs are probably the perky, poppy 'I'm in your head' which is really catchy and the ballad 'footsteps' which has the saddest story to tell.
Only down side is that Beautiful South fans might be expecting something a bit more acidic and Sam Brown fans might be expecting her to let rip in that big bluesy way only she can BUT if you accept this as a great, mellow Sunday album you will grow to love it's mild but heart wearming ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars That warm fuzzy feeling..., 19 Mar 2006
Ms. K. Price (Southampton, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homespun - Homespun (Audio CD)
I only bought this album after buying the second album by the band (Effortless Cool) and seeing them live a couple of times. As a big Beautiful South fan, I was not disapointed.
There is a range on human emotion in this album that is rare in pop these days. From young love, to boredom, to giving up drugs for the people you love, this album covers almost every emotion you can think of.
Some songs will strike a chord (Footsteps, don't force me to be free), some will get stuck in your head for days afterwards (I'm in your head).
Overall, a warm, summery acoustic album. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, just buy it, 8 Jun 2004
This review is from: Homespun - Homespun (Audio CD)
Well it had to happen sometime. Paul Heaton goes and writes his own album; it was only right that Dave Rotheray, the other half of one of the UK's most successful songwriting partnership does the same. Get some fantastic session players together, get Sam Brown and you get a subliminal album. I saw Homespun live on 6 June in Tunbridge Wells; a wonderful evening and one of the best gigs I've been to. Here are 11 beautifully written and sung vignettes - a blissfully happy acoustic album. A gorgeous inclusion of the fiddle, pedal steel and percussion.
If there ever was an album written for a Sunday, this is it. And I met Dave Rotheray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying little number, 16 May 2014
S. Bateman (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homespun - Homespun (Audio CD)
As a fan of Sam Brown and also owning several Beautiful South albums I have to say, Homespun has only recently come to my attention - way after I should have known about them. I was happy to buy this album completely on reputations, and I'm pleased to say I wasn't disappointed. As you might expect, some tracks sound like they would be at home on a Sam Brown album and some have the unmistakable feel that would be great on a Beautiful South disc. The writing is great, and lyrically there as some beautifully constructed and well observed songs. It's very 'English' in feel, with very simple arrangements on some tracks, building to much more a 'band sound' on others. I won't bore you with my favourite tracks, but I will say Sam is terrific on this CD, with another high point being some lovely lyrical violin work. Will definitely be buying the other two albums some time soon.

Homespun - Homespun
Homespun - Homespun by Homespun (Audio CD - 2008)