Format: Audio CD|Change

This was apparently Streisand's sixtieth album release. Wow! Most the songs are at Streisand's signature pace and style with lush orchestration, but one often yearns for a radical change of scene. This change is represented here by the bossa nova rhythm of `I'm in the Mood for Love', and the marrying of the orchestra to relaxed contemporary sounds in the three songs produced by Robbie Buchanan, especially in the haunting `Calling You'. Two tracks (`But Beautiful' and `The Second Time Around') have a lazy jazz/blues-inflected style. But, otherwise, the album is all so comfortable, and (dare I say it) verging on the bland. But at least we hear some great instrumental solos: violin, trumpet, flute, horn, and more, all rightfully credited.

So, what about the songs themselves? Well, there's no `As Time Goes By', no `Over the Rainbow'. Instead we have songs from such well-known films as 1982's `Best Friends' and 1988's `Bagdad Café'. Mmm. It's a shame there are no Bond movie songs. Instead, we have many songs that a lot of people (including myself) would have a hard time naming the films from which they originate. But there are some classics, such as `Smile' and `Moon River'.

There is also `Wild is the Wind', but once you've heard the raw emotion of the Bowie version, one might want to question the sincerity of Streisand's singing "you're life itself". But, having said that, there are good orchestral effects in the orchestral arrangement. Of `More in Love with You, Streisand writes how it is "the most magnificent movie theme I think I've ever heard." I found the lyrics by the Bergmans quite cheesy. The shortest track is `Goodbye For Now' (yes, you remember which movie that featured in - or rather didn't - don't you?), which proves that Sondheim can write fluff as banal as anyone.

I don't want to sound too critical. I like this album and give it four stars. It's just that I feel there have been lost opportunities here in the choice of tracks and in the style of presentation. But Streisand still has probably the best female singing voice in the western world; and for that, I can forgive (almost) anything.
on 17 June 2007
It took Streisand almost 20 years to choose the material for 'The Movie Album' and after just a few songs the listener can undertsand why. 'The Movie Album' is a rare event - a collection of beautifully crafted musical tapestries woven with a magnificent visual sense of drama.

Streisand really creates something unique, as with 1986's sensational 'Broadway Album' - the songs have clearly been studied, felt, directed and delivered by one of the most lucid and engaging vocal interpreters of modern times.

Streisands voice is stunning. Age may have worn and torn some of her more epic notes, but the tender humanity of her upper register remains simply remarkable. Enriched with age, her voice still soars with that aching purity but has become imbued with an encalmed wisdom that warms the soul yet deeper.

Its interesting that as well as performing and producing these songs Streisand acts as director, charging the songs with a strong sense of the visual and cinematic. During 'Wild is the wind' we feel the trees moving around us and the the burning love for another soaring through our veins. The symphonic orchestrations paint the atmospheric scenery for these dramatic performances. We feel the harboured insecurities of someone afraid of loosing love in 'How do you keep the music playing?' and the longing affections of the smitten in 'But Beautiful'. Each song is a dramtic episode - a story - and she excells at every one.

'Smile', 'Moonriver', the bossa nova interpretation of 'In the mood for love', 'Calling you', the captivating 'Goodbye for now' and raw defiance of 'You're gonna hear from me' also deserve note.
on 13 October 2004
Like many of the other reviewers, I am a huge Barbra Streisand fan. I have been for years and I have collected all her recordings - first on LP, more recently on CD. (Mind you, my favourite Streisand album of all time is Je M'Appelle Barbra, her lowest selling album ever, so what do I know?!) This album, though, is sometimes disappointing. It is beautifully produced, and every song is expertly crafted - we would expect nothing less from Ms Stresiand. It is, quite simply, at times, overproduced. An essentially simple song, such as Charlie Chaplin's SMILE becomes a symphonic rhapsody for voice and orchestra - but the song simply does not warrant this kind of treatment and is overwhelmed by it. However, there are some perfect interpretations of other songs. MOON RIVER, for instance, is exquisite and the final track, taken from INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, revisits the style of early Streisand. It has impact and an entirely apposite interpretation and delivery. However, I can't help feeling that this album was recorded with posterity in mind - it is often self-consciously 'arty' and sometimes takes itself far too seriously.
on 13 December 2012
I put off trying to write a review for this album until I had listened to it a few times. It is basically a collection of ballads, perhaps too many on one disc for my tastes. I found that after listening for ten minutes or so, the whole ballady overkill became all too much..... and God forbid I actually got rather bored. I have to add at this point, I'm actually a big purchaser of this artiste's
output and am reluctant to critisize. Having said all this, this is a pleasant enough experience but those of you who are familiar with the Streisand voice will have to admit here Barbra meanders through, simply paying lip-service to the songs and sometimes singing three notes in a phrase where one would have sufficed - this singing technique is a step backwards. Babs take note.
This CD features Barbra Streisand singing a dozen songs from the movies. Most will be familiar to listeners even if they haven't seen the movies as almost all of them have long had a life of their own off-screen. Some have been around since the 1930s - `Smile', `I'm in the mood for love'; some from the 1940s - `But beautiful' from the 5th `Road' film, Road to Rio; and the remainder from even more recent movies. The tunes are great and Barbra's interpretations with a variety of different music directors make for a very enjoyable CD.
on 1 November 2003
This is a sophisticated, mellow, jazzy collection of movie songs - some well known, some obscure. These songs are mostly what Streisand does best - ballads, although there is a great theatrical finale with "You're Gonna Hear From Me". Barbra is in great voice and she obviously loves these songs, as I'm sure you will too.
on 23 March 2013
Moon River, Smile and Wild is the Wind are all Streisand classics, but the outstanding track is "Calling You" The Josh Groban song, I heard George Michael singing this on his symphonia tour and his version is fab too. Anyway back to Barbra, I love this whole album, though recent it fels like something from her best times in movies and music. If you like Barbra you will love this
on 11 September 2013
A number of songs from movies, some famous (movies and songs) and some not. They were chosen by the singer. They are her favorites. With the style of it. It could have been better.

Una serie de canciones de películas, algunas famosas (películas y canciones) y otras no. Fueron escogidas por la cantante. Son sus favoritas. Con el estilo de ella. Pudo haber estado mejor.
on 14 December 2014
It is a beautiful CD but the songs are slow smooth ballads but sang as only Barbra Streisand could sing.
The best way to get the full listening pleasure from this CD is to listen to it in warm room in front of a fire with that special
person in your life plus a bottle of wine and let the music do the rest
on 4 July 2015
Really enjoyable cd. Unusual selection which worked well.