Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 August 2009
The music is wonderful but the packaging is terrible. A&M have split albums between CDs with no indication of what tracks are on each CD (it just says CD1 etc on each disk). The liner doesn't tell you either. The back of the box gives a listing of tracks but doesn't tell you how they are spilt across disks. I saw one review which said that A&M had fixed this but this isn't true of the one I received.
on 23 November 2011
A great set of Joan's work '72-'76, her voice in the best shape ever - more mellow than in the '60's yet with her range undiminished. A shame that the record label has split albums across the first 3 discs but, apart from that, little to criticise except maybe the 22-minute recording of US planes bombing Hanoi on Where Are You Now My Son. I understood the sentiment at the time but it does not make for interesting (should I say eomfortable?) listening now, in my view. Given the state of the world in the 21st century, however, it could be argued the track is as relevant now as ever. Either way, the collection would not be complete without it.

Diamonds and Rust has to be the stand-out album here, with the sublime autobiographical title track and great versions of Dylan's Simple Twist Of Fate, John Prine's Hello In There and a fabulous take on Fountain Of Sorrow, the recording that introduced me to the great Jackson Browne.

I was lucky to obtain a cd of Gulf Winds in 1987, surely an unfairly ignored masterpiece and one that was regrettably soon deleted by A&M (along with Come From The Shadows) - here the songs really shine thanks to great remastering. The all-live disc 4 shows Joan at her best, with witty asides to the audience.

If you want a varied, top-notch collection of Joan Baez in her prime, start here. With the reduced price, it's also a bargain! Thanks, Joan, for 50+ years of listening pleasure.
on 24 July 2013
a folk @ country legend you cannot go wrong with her music
a very good cd album boxset a fantastic live performing artist
on 29 March 2013
This contains a large number of songs originally published as several albums. Like most people, I liked some of the albums better than others, so I like some of these CDs better than others too. The quality of recording on the CDs is fine - obviously the CDs were made from good sound versions of the original recordings, unlike some other CD remakes of albums from this era.

I would recommend this to any fan of folk music from this era, and especially to any Baez fans.
on 5 April 2011
Prompt and problem free down load. Bang and it was there. What else to say?

I already have over half of this. Purchased mostly to get the Gulf Winds album - possibly Joanie's finest, but inexplicably never released on CD. Some other worth while new (to me) stuff too.

For the money, a wonderful entry to Baez in her prime.
on 17 January 2015
Would have preferred it to be presented as the original albums rather than one giant compilation. Quality of recordings seems excellent to me.
on 26 November 2013
4 cds in one box everyone classic Joan Baez. Billy Rose was the main reason for buying this album, but got a bargin
on 16 August 2014
Just wonderful music. Shame about the poor labelling and splitting albums across CDs just to save pennies.
on 13 September 2014
GREAT COLLECTION
lovely voice. Great variety
crystal clear sound
on 24 June 2011
This was a gem, 4 albums in all. The best one was "Diamonds And Rust". One album is a live album which is a collection of all her live performances. I wasn't too peturbed by Joan's protest theme based on the Vietnam War as I never express much interest in the lyrics of songs but I must admit her notes on the Vietnam war were rather intriguing. The music served as an anaesetic to all the misery about the Vietnam War and left me feeling happy and relaxed.