5.0 out of 5 stars A Photographer's Dream, 9 Feb 2009
A. Roberton "Alan Roberton" (Camborne, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM With Lens Case LP1222 & Lens Hood ET-83BII (Accessory)
I have had this lens for over a year now and feel I am well aquainted with it enough to give it a review.
The first thing you notice is the size and weight. Heavy(ish) yes, but built to last, very solid. The image quality is superb, as you would expect from an 'L' lens. Auto-focussing is amazing, both quick and crisp. Colour representation is excellent, in fact I have not seen better. Believe it or not this also makes for a great portrait lens as you have to be some distance away from the subject in order to frame the photograph, this allows the subject to feel a lot more relaxed, thus creating a more natural image. This is especially useful at weddings when you want those special candid shots where the subject is unaware of what you are doing. Sometimes these shots make the wedding.
I like to use my 2x extender giving me a 400mm lens whilst retaining autofocus. The focussing speed is very slightly slowed down by using the extender, but not enough to cause any real problems. I use this combination photographing birds, both stationery and in flight and have had some excellent results.
Photographing people (without)the extender gives clear crisp and colourful images - then again every 'L' lens I have tried does this anyway.
As with any fixed lens, the photographer has to move in order to get what they really want, but surely this is what photography is all about.
I have no hesitation in recommending this lens to any photographer, especially if you want to take your photography onto the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 7 July 2011
Yes, this lens might not be as flexible as one of the 70-200 zooms, but goodness me, what image quality! I used it for the first time last weekend, at an indoor concert; it gave me amazingly sharp detail and gorgeously deep colours even when hand-held (steadily!) at 1/100s f2.8. "L" indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous lens, 8 Dec 2012
J. Lunt (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
i have a bunch of Canon L series teles for various purposes: 70-200 f4, 70-200 f2.8 and my favourite the 200 f2.8 prime. This thing is simply amazing. Focuses in a flash, is light weight for travelling with (I'd guess it's a third the weight of the 70-200 f2.8), brings the subject right out of the picture with that amazing narrow DoF. I love it. It's also very cheap: it must be the bargain of the Canon L range. There are plenty out there second hand and the lens is bomb proof so worth checking into non-new options. Summary: stunning.

See my picture posted up of Maisy, my Irish Water Spaniel... great detail, lovely colours, excellent DoF.

5.0 out of 5 stars The primepipe, 23 April 2011
I've had this lens for a couple of years now and the image quality is superb, beaten only by the 135L.
Probably one of my least used lenses along with my 17-40, but that's because I'm mainly in the 24 to 135 range. Wouldn't be without it though and its definitely the best bargain in the canon L stable.

The 70-200 L zooms are probably just as good and certainly more convenient, but the f4 is slower and the f2.8 is much bigger, heavier and also considerably more expesive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L ll USM Lens, 3 May 2014
A. Brown "Hornet" (Ulster) - See all my reviews
This has to be the best lens i own the detail is pin sharp with very good DOF, i have this on my Canon EOS 550D and it looks very nice on the camera, Build quality of this lens is second to none as expected from a Canon L series lens has a nice weight to it, I just love the Focus ring so smooth, I was looking the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens but that was to pricey for me at the moment, I'm not a pro photographer and i have got some nice shots with this lens in Manual mode, I would recommend this lens to any one looking Sharp detail with blurred background. Thank You Amazon for fast delivery service ordered Friday 2nd May 2014 received Saturday 3rd May 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars My luxury lens, 31 Dec 2013
A fun lens to use, it has many 'positives' - autofocus is fast, the image quality is absolutely superb, colour rendition is of a very high standard, and it has a very nice bokeh. Being an 'L' lens, it is very well made as one would expect - solidly built. Overall a very, very good lens at a reasonable price. Bear in mind that being a 'long' prime, this lens will not cover all eventualities (few lenses truly do) and in some respects its practical application can be quite limited. Because of this lack of versatility, this is not the best 'walkabout' multi purpose lens. For that reason I would put it in the category of 'luxury' lens - you probably wont use it all that often but when you do use it in the right context, the results are very good. Even if I only use it one day per year I would never sell it, because it is that good. I also like the fact that because it is a long prime, for me that makes it a bit quirky and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 25 May 2013
Fantastic prime lens at a bargain price. The image quality is beautiful on this lens. I use it for candid portraits and have taken motorsport shots with it. Used with 1.4x extender and 2x and it is still fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning ..., 26 May 2013
It was my youngest Son a 'technical reviewer' on digital media that first raised the question for me as to whether someone like me who liked photographing wildlife would be 'better off' with a fixed focal length lens rather than a 'zoom' one. After thinking about it, I realised that my 'typical' 75-300 lens was always (pretty much), set at 300 but the f-stops are as a consequence, "pretty low". Could such a (fixed focus), lens work better ? Of course the moment you looked at fixed focal length lenses and probably because they sold in lower quantities, they apart from some 50mm ones were really expensive.

As an 'early adopter of a DSLR (Canon D30) back in 2000 with its 3.3 mpx I have been through very many camera bodies but the lenses "stay with us" because that is where the 'real investment' is. This is not lightweight, it is a solid 'chunk' but also, totally wonderful for those who are serious about their photography and for me, teamed up with my 7D, a totally brilliant experience.

This is not for "everyone", it really depends on what you want. Price is not the "guide", function is all and that 'function' depends on your use of 'imaging' and if a camera phone does for you, ignore this because it is for 'real photographers'. One final comment for those who think about such stuff, at it's 'price point' it is a total 'steal', at around slightly 'North' of 600 one of the Best Buys I have ever encountered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive., 1 May 2013
used inside on tripod only but seems excellent and small depth of field is very useful. Pity no stabilization - it is a huge help to one handed people like me

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 23 Nov 2007
Nicolae T. Dragolea (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this product for my wife who does professional photography and from the feedback I heard from her she thought it was great and it's visible in the photos as well.