O

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Touching
i first heard of Damien Rice when I saw him perform his song "Cold Water" on TV on the Jonathan Ross Show. During the performance I was so amazed at how good the song was and how amazing his voice was. On the strength of this one performance I bought his album "O". When I put it in my CD Player it didn't come back out again- it still hasn't!
It is one of the most...
Published on 3 July 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Damien Rice has talent. He probably also has Tom McCrae's albums.
I did like this album, but thought there were traces of overkill - particularly on Blower's Daughter.
Some tracks sounded like he'd lost interest part way & were fudged through (which I think's a bit lazy really). Would have expected more attention to detail on a debut.
Bit patchy, but loved...
Published on 6 Oct 2003 by Katie McNulty

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars O-Mazing!, 6 Nov 2003
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
This is one of the most touching albums I have heard my whole life. Recommend to me by a friend at the local newspaper, I was told "buy Damien Rice's album, without even thinking about it. You won't regret it." I did, I didn't and I don't...not for a second.
Soft guitar riffs and perfect lyrics surge through your body like blood through your veins. Damiens voice penetrates every thought you have ever felt creating emotions you wouldn't dare to dream existed. Slowly the hairs on the back of your neck jump up as if trying to gain more from the music than they already were...it's not possible, he is already delivering all he can. If you weren't a fan you will be. 'Delicate' is exactly as it is titled, he means every word that choruses out of his mouth and grabs hold of you promising not to let go. 'Cheers Darlin' sounds as if it were recorded in a cafe somewhere, cunjering up images of young couples in a coffee house as Mr. Rice sits alone in a corner singing of broken promises, you can almost feel the pain yourself. "I die when you mention his name"...we are dying with you.
Often accompanied by the voice of a female, Lisa hannigan. Complimenting each other amazingly all through the CD you learn to love the soft tones, as you are willingly pulled through the whole set; Love, Despair, Angst, happiness. You are witnessing something special. Each song delivers the highest quality of vocals, it would be hard to produce something of this standard unless you truely meant every word...and I believe he does.
One of the most beautiful albums you will be listening to for a very long time.
For a debut so beautiful and promising it will be hard to top, nevertheless, as long as 'O' is gliding through us all I won't be worried...

5.0 out of 5 stars open your ears, 21 Jan 2005
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
Going to see 'Closer' at the cinema, I was completely blown away by it's opening and closing song - The Blower's Daughter. I had heard of Damien Rice, and of a couple of his songs, but never really 'listened' to them. I got home and listened to him properly, and decided that this album is whithout a doubt the best album you will ever have the fotune to listne to. Perfect melody, excellent voice, and amazing lyrics - this album will be played over and over again by all who own it - simply perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight..., 21 Dec 2006
Susanne (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
...and not having to discover that you have been mistaken. That's the best that can happen I think. And so it went with this album. It went straight to my favourite top 10 (or even top 5) and I'm sure it will stay there.

This is music with a soul and true emotion. Something else than faked cry-ballads sung by screaming girls who are in an ongoing contest with other sreaming girls about who can reach the highest note and can scream at the top of their lungs best. Because then it is more heartfelt of course. Not.

Well if you want to caress your ears and feed your soul, listen to Damien Rice and Lisa Hannnigan.

And if you are looking for more of this kind maybe this is something for you:

- Glen Phillips "Abulum", "Mr. Lemons". He's my all-time-favourite ever since the days of Toad The Wet Sprocket and he keeps getting better. Haunting melodies, significant lyrics, amazing voice.

- David Mead "Indiana". He was highly recommended by Glen Phillips on his weblog and I thank him for that. A quiet, acoustic, laid-back album to come down and dream away. I especially like the combination between the cello and David's wonderful voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, heartfelt songwriting, 10 Dec 2003
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
Having only heard about Damien Rice a few months ago i was curious to see what all the fuss was about. This album is a glorious piece of music and one of the best debut albums ever. Rice has a superb talent for creating catchy yet heartfelt songs that really call out to be sung along to, which leads to another point, his voice is amazing as is lisa hannigan's who sings beautiful harmonies and the lead lyric on "I remember". There isn't a bad song on this album, all the 10 tracks flow with a graceful melody that sinks deep into your brain and doesn't stop for overan hours worth of audio lushness. If you haven't heard it then you must straight away, it never strays far from my CD player and is definately one of the best albums i have heard in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Breathtaking, 6 Oct 2002
This review is from: Damien Rice O (Audio CD)
I first heard of Damien whilst I was living in Dublin, and alot of hype was being promoted about this new legend which is Damien Rice. I bought the album out of interest and was amazed by how much talent this man has. His use of poetry mixed deliously into his music is breathtaking. He takes you on a such heart felt, bitter, yet uplifting musical journey, one that everyone should enjoy. Its a shame that musician's like Damien, that have undoubtly masive amounts of talent are'nt recognised as much as the worthless talent that is forced upon us by the music industry. You can really relate to his music, the words somehow touch your heart, and forget about the world for an hour. One must also mention Lisa Hannigan who sings with Damien on the album, there two voices just blend beautifully on Volcano and Cold water. If your searching for that perfect album, one that gives you everything, then stop and purchase this- you wont be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Uplifiting, Definitive Debut, 17 April 2005
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
A truly defining album, I have waited a long time to hear such a provoking and beautiful masterpiece as offered by Damien Rice. From start to finish it brings you in and forces upon the listener all the experiences and emotions intended. A collection of tales of love from the romantic "Amie" to the bitter and dying "I Remember" and as deep and touching as the dying daughter on "Cold Water". Remarkable is Rice's ability to place into words what it is to love. Bringing out the truth's such as "You know when you've found it, There's something I've learned, 'Cause you feel it when they take it away" that are not only striking in themselves but also in his delivery.
The guest vocals of Lisa Hannigan are used with such precision to only increase the effect of Damien's own. The flow of the album is also something to be in awe of, the movement into love, through the troubling times, to the bitter endings and then like a good friend the off-subject uplifting finale. Noticeable again is Damien's view of the world on "Older Chests" rife with a feeling of nostalgia and the delightful line "Children scream, or so it seems, Louder than before. Out of doors, and into stores with bigger names." The most absorbing quality of the album is its familiarity, captivating so many aspects true to life that most listeners will have experienced some form of. My favourite aspect of the album is after building up a truly beautiful and deep love the deeply familiar sudden tear away on "I Remember".
The themes in 'O' aren't exactly new but are so commonly told with teenage angst or with a contradictory upbeat tune that it is somewhat refreshing to hear the sincere and striking vocals accompanied by the powerful and rich sounds of classical instruments. This accompanying sound most notably enriching on "Cheers Darlin'" with a beautiful movement into the tragic and gentle "Cold Water" where the use of vocals perfectly sets off the subject and gives a real sense of slipping away into the beyond. As already mentioned "I Remember" is truly the stand out track for me, Hannigan given a full verse which is performed gracefully then Damien's violent and angry reply showing the lack of need for more colourful language and building up the final climax to these tales of love and love-loss. We are then guided into the uplifting, engaging and unusual "Eskimo" providing a sweet come-down from the previous events.
SPOILER...
Though it doesn't stop there with rewards for the patient listener are two bonus tracks that continue this powerful talent Damien has already showcased. "Prague" is the only electric track on the album and offsets this dark and epic piece, accompanying Damien's frayed vocals and bursts of tortured screams. The final track "Silent Night" showcases Hannigan's talents in this harrowing take on the festive carol, bringing the entire experience to a gentle and provoking end. There is so much I am unable to describe about this album and this is only part of the beauty and talent demonstrated in this debut album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC OF OUR TIME, 15 Aug 2005
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
'O' is simply one of THE classic records of our generation, probably in the top ten albums of all time. It simply is that good.
It manages to embody the sensibilities of an entire generation and yet, still speak to each of us individually. It pulls this off without patronising the listener even once.
I bought this record very soon after first release after hearing a track on an evening show on Radio 1. Two years later it is still on my regular playlist. I must have played 'O' a thousand times and I am still entranced by 'Delicate', the most perfect opener for an album of this type. I still feel like he wrote 'Cannonball' just for me to listen to. The whole thing is so absorbing and mesmerising, even the frenetic & desperate hidden track 'Prague' (which should not have been hidden, it deserves it's own listing!).
With all the (deserved) fuss surrounding 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' as a genuine classic, 'O' could get missed in the history books. This would be a travesty because it truly is a piece of art. Damien Rice must be worried about the next album. This is a giant of a record to follow-up. The one-off 'Unplayed Piano' is promising but Mr. Rice should not fall into the Coldplay trap of making us wait 4 years for the next album. We might have forgotten what we were waiting for. We don't want Damien & Lisa to go the same way as Eg & Alice do we?

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 29 April 2003
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
Not sure there are words that do the talent of Damien Rice justice.
All I can say is that I bought this CD on impulse and for once the fancy packaging is overawed bythe quality of the music. The Blower's Daughter starts an incredibly romantic and thought-provoking sequence of songs that will have you hitting repeat time and again.
The mans voice is pure perfection, his talent is so that he doesn't need to hide behind over-production and his trusty acoustic guitar sees him through. I really cannot rate this CD highly enough - if you haven't got this in your CD collection soon you will have to start asking yourself why?
Absolutely enthralling and utterly captivating. The guy is a genius and I cannot wait until his next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year...by far, 24 Aug 2004
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
I know it was actually released in 2003 but it's still my favourite album of 2004. I remember when Cannonball was first played on Radio 1 back in the summer of 2003 and i thought it was a very good track, so much so that i downloaded the rest of the album. For one reason or another I forgot about it and it wasn't until earlier this year that i remembered.
Ok, I admit it. The thing that triggered my memory was the Johnathan Ross show - what i was doing watching it i will never know (i don't even like the guy) But Damien Rice's performance of Cold Water was so superb, and Lisa Hannigan'a voice so mesmerising, that i HAD to listen to the rest of the album. Thank God i did...
Every track is so good - initially i favoured Amie. Then I Remember, with its hypnotic (and scary) change half-way through, was my favourite. Right now i love the Blower's Daughter, but to be fair every single track on the album is great in its own individual way.
Delicate is just what the title suggests, Cheers Darlin' is rough and clever and Eskimo is such a varied and fitting end to a superb album.
I'm just really pleased that Damien Rice is starting to get the credit he deserves. I used to be a fan of guys like David Gray, but Damien Rice has raised the bar and completely outdone them.
Highly highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one album i could not live without, 2 Mar 2005
5+++++
To be honest I was quite surprised to read some of the reviews on here about Damien Rice being "boring", "uninspiring". While of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, i feel that these statements could not be further from the truth. Every song on the album relates to Damien's own personal experiences, with beautiful, haunting lyrics, and so much emotion. Lisa Hannigan's voice just brings the album together as well. i can listen to the album from start to finish 4 or 5 times over and never get bored of it. Honestly, buy this album, everyone should have this in their collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

O
O by Damien Rice (Audio CD - 2003)