O

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Touching
i first heard of Damien Rice when I saw him perform his song "Cold Water" on TV on the Jonathan Ross Show. During the performance I was so amazed at how good the song was and how amazing his voice was. On the strength of this one performance I bought his album "O". When I put it in my CD Player it didn't come back out again- it still hasn't!
It is one of the most...
Published on 3 July 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Damien Rice has talent. He probably also has Tom McCrae's albums.
I did like this album, but thought there were traces of overkill - particularly on Blower's Daughter.
Some tracks sounded like he'd lost interest part way & were fudged through (which I think's a bit lazy really). Would have expected more attention to detail on a debut.
Bit patchy, but loved...
Published on 6 Oct 2003 by Katie McNulty

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Touching, 3 July 2004
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
It is one of the most amazing albums I have ever had the privelage to listen to. Every song is strong and single worthy, there are no so-called "album fillers." The album is beautiful, emotional, delicate and touching. Songs such as "Delicate," "Cold Water" and "The Blower's Daughter" actually bring tears to my eyes. Every song is stunning and the whole album is a masterpiece. The sound is kind of folk,sometimes gentle rock, but always beautiful. This album is a must buy, a necessity in anybody's record collection. I urge you to buy it, you won't be disappointed, if you are, I'll personally give you your money bacK!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite all-time albums, 25 Feb 2005
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
I go back a long way (Pet Sounds, Rubber Soul, Blood on the Tracks long) and I rate this album up there with the very best. Damien Rice is hard to classify as a singer. He reminds me of David Gray, Portishead, Eels, Coldplay, Jeff Buckley, early Springsteen and Nick Drake, at different times, but his sound cannot be so easily defined. Every track is incredibly beautful, haunting, lyrical and challenging and as a result the album does take a bit of getting into, but it's more than worth the effort. What at first appears to be a surrealistic kaleidoscope of musical and lyrical imagery soon becomes an incredibly coherent and moving masterpiece. It may not be everybody's idea of a fun evening. My wife thinks it is depressing and miserable and detests it, but she also dislikes Bob Dylan and just about everyone mentioned earlier in my review. (I didn't marry her for her taste in music) You may love it, you could hate it, but you are unlikely to be indifferent about this exceptional album. Don't go through your life wondering whether you might have liked Damien Rice - risk it like I did. You may find you've turned up a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen and you'll be hooked, 8 Oct 2003
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
A friend of mine brought this album over 4 days ago, and I musthave listened to it 50 times following. Further to this I have also booked tickets to go and see him live; this guy is phenomenal.
The beauty of his music is often in its simplicity, not unlike Leonard Cohen, but also the feeeling of the Lyrics. Eachsong conveys a very clear message to the listener. However, the acoustic feel of guitar and then rising strings make you feel you're almost in the music. The music always compliments the heartfelt subject of the lyrics, for example the frustration of 'delicate' with strong rising string cords, but also a chilled slow guitar lick during the more thoughful verses.
Damien is clearly a loely Irish boy, but this does not translate to the very heavy lyrics of someone like Sinead o'Connor. A cello frequently compliments his music, and is almost like another vocalist in 'volcano.' The songs often are like dialogue between two people, saying the same thing to one another, but not really listening to each other.
My favourite tracks are 'The Blower's Daughter' which then flows into 'Cannonball.' Everything on these tracks sums up the best parts of the album. The great emotional feeling is there - "I can't takes my eyes off you / I can't take my mind off you / Till I find somebody new."
This then moves into a slightly more upbeat guitar lick of 'Cannonball.' Here he laments a past girlfriend he no longer has with him, and is confused by the subsequent relationship. This moves into a triumphant chorus in which he describes what he has learnt - "Stones taught me to fly / Love it taught me to lie / Life taught me to die." The contradictions of wht each experience are obvious - "so come on courage teach me to be shy." at then end it still reverts back to his wanting the girl, this track really also is an example of great musical composition.
Other good tracks are 'Amie' and 'Cold Water.' If anyone says this album is boring, they are simply not listening. Tkae a chance, buy it, and if you like it you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great album!, 9 July 2004
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
I'll be straightforward first off while reviewing this album - it's great. It's sheer brilliance. In this seemingly shallow world of music, here comes Damien Rice to save it all - separating himself from his contemporaries through the use of a wide instrument array, from delicate strings to piano; from acoustic guitars to clarinets. A superstar in the UK, this Irish singer/songwriter packs a heartfelt punch into his blissful, beautiful debut, simply titled "O".
Now there is of course that inevitable comparison to Jeff Buckley and David Gray... it's just too obvious not to be noticed. Like Gray, Rice recorded this in his bedroom because he claims he "doesn't like a commercial feel to his music." Rice twists many emotions into one in his music, and at parts of the disc you can almost hear the tears in his voice, most notably in the song "Older Chests". The strings at the end of "Amie" are something awe-inspiring, indescribable. And the line "I can't take my eyes off of you" in "The Blowers Daughter" could possibly be the most helplessly romantic thing said in music this whole year.
Rice chooses to add a bit more penache to his disc with the addition of a female backing vocalist- the harmonizing and intertwining of their voices are irresistible. Musically, he seems to be exploring all aspects of being in love- the warmness, the intimacy, and most notably, the heartbreak, with the second part of the disc focusing mainly on the heartbreak. The song "I Remember" is almost like the female in the relationship's response to Rice's sad lyrics in "Cold Water". But in the middle of the song, Rice comes back for the emotional peak of the disc.
This record may be a bit too "Sleepy" or "Downbeat" for some listeners, but the whole atmosphere on the record is quiet, yet intense. What's more, this disc goes further still - it tells a whole story. It's the most beautiful thing you'll hear all year and it may very well bring tears to your eye. It's almost like hearing the sequel to Jeff Buckley's Grace.
It would be a sin to give this album a less than perfect review.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely amazing, 30 Sep 2003
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
I, with a Group of friends went to the v festival. We walked across to the nme stage as rice was performing. Having never heard of the guy, we wanted to leave to the main stage. As we started of, I heard one of the most beautiful songs of my life, Cannonball. To hear such a wonderful song sung with such an amazing voice was truly special. I then bought the album the day I got home. After listening to it for about a thousand times, I can truly say it is the best album that I have bought by far. Songs such as the blowers daughter and cold water very nearly forced me to tears. A unique talent, Damien Rice is a wonderful change from the poor stuff (David Gray excepted)that is around today. I urge anyone who has an interest in music to buy this album. It makes your life better by its mere existence

5.0 out of 5 stars Depression at it's best, 19 Dec 2006
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
"What the hell have you got on," a friend inquired as I was talking on the phone today."It's enough to make you slaskh your wrists," he added.

Well that's his opinion .I prefer to call it tugging hard on the heart strings ,and why not .I found it powerful to the extreme and as far as as track three goes yes it is by far the most expressive thing on there (Blowers Daughter).

Leaving that aside, it is melancholic, self indulgent ,morose .But hey, dont we love being bathed in our thoughts, however sad, once in a while?

The orchestral backing also adds to the drama and I personally felt myself drift back into bitter -sweet youth throughout.All you thinkers out there, get it now

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 1 Mar 2007
Chipstick (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
This cd is, for me, as close to musical perfection as you are going to get! Damien Rice's songs are achingly beautiful - gorgeous words threaded through uncluttered, largely acoustic arrangements, with the addition of Lisa Hannigan's haunting vocals combining perfectly with Damien's voice.

This is an album that has returned again and again to my cd player and will probably be deemed a classic album of the 'noughties' in years to come - if it isn't already. Certainly I think it is one of the definitive albums of the past 10 years and should reside in everyone's cd collection.

If you have not already heard him and enjoy acoustic songs with thought and feeling provoking words then this will reach out to you and sweep you away. Fans of David Grey, Stephen Fretwell, Kalai and Paolo Nutini will probably adore this.

I would urge anyone who does not have this to buy it, and, if you can, see him live too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intimate. Intense. Incredible, 15 Jan 2007
Craig Pitman "ceejaypee" (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to Damien Rice in 2002 and saw him in a small venue in Camden, and then subsequently in a pub in Brighton about the size of my lounge. What I heard in those small, intimate gigs is all here on O (well, except the opera....!) This is one of the best albums ever made. Fact. Without hype or marketing this album has seeped in to the mainstream through sheer quality of the songs, from the opeining slow burning "Delicate" through to the fury and resentment at the end of "I Remember". Everyone will have their own personal favourite. A Desert Island Disc for the 00's

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight..., 21 Dec 2006
Susanne (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
...and not having to discover that you have been mistaken. That's the best that can happen I think. And so it went with this album. It went straight to my favourite top 10 (or even top 5) and I'm sure it will stay there.

This is music with a soul and true emotion. Something else than faked cry-ballads sung by screaming girls who are in an ongoing contest with other sreaming girls about who can reach the highest note and can scream at the top of their lungs best. Because then it is more heartfelt of course. Not.

Well if you want to caress your ears and feed your soul, listen to Damien Rice and Lisa Hannnigan.

And if you are looking for more of this kind maybe this is something for you:

- Glen Phillips "Abulum", "Mr. Lemons". He's my all-time-favourite ever since the days of Toad The Wet Sprocket and he keeps getting better. Haunting melodies, significant lyrics, amazing voice.

- David Mead "Indiana". He was highly recommended by Glen Phillips on his weblog and I thank him for that. A quiet, acoustic, laid-back album to come down and dream away. I especially like the combination between the cello and David's wonderful voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars open your ears, 21 Jan 2005
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
Going to see 'Closer' at the cinema, I was completely blown away by it's opening and closing song - The Blower's Daughter. I had heard of Damien Rice, and of a couple of his songs, but never really 'listened' to them. I got home and listened to him properly, and decided that this album is whithout a doubt the best album you will ever have the fotune to listne to. Perfect melody, excellent voice, and amazing lyrics - this album will be played over and over again by all who own it - simply perfect

ARRAY(0xa9295354)

O
O by Damien Rice (Audio CD - 2003)